Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you going abroad this year ?

(145 Posts)
Dizza25 Wed 10-Aug-22 22:53:46

Just wondering.

We had plans to, but an operation means it’s a no no until next year.

Looking at a holiday in Cyprus and it’s £250 pp more than 3 years ago in the same hotel at the same time for one week.

Looking at the UK instead but it’s still pricey!!!

Maybe cancel plans altogether and spend it on energy!!!!

ginny Thu 11-Aug-22 09:28:37

We arrived back home from Thailand in February 2030 just before the first lockdown.
Last week we were saying how we had missed going abroad and before we knew it had booked a cruise for November.
We also love holidays in Britain but there is a certain something about the experience of different cultures.

Fleurpepper Thu 11-Aug-22 09:36:13

GagaJo

Nope. I hate flying anyway, and the thought of all that airport chaos has put me right off.

I'm not a huge fan of holidays anyway, but would like to go back to the island my DGS was born on, to show him the beaches and where he lived as a baby.

Plenty of places in France, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Northern Italy, Austria, and more, easily reachable with very comfortable trains. So no need to fly. And it is fabulous with grand-children, who can move around, and even find other kids to play with. Recently travelled to 4 countries, inter-railing (1st class lol) - and it was magical and so easy. And so many families having a great time.

MiniMoon Thu 11-Aug-22 09:43:42

We went to Sorrento in May, but just for a week to celebrate our Ruby wedding anniversary. We had our honeymoon there, it was lovely to go back.
At the end of November we are going to New York, and sailing home on the Queen Mary 2. This is my DH's dream holiday, he's always wanted to set foot on American soil. We booked this at the beginning of 2019, hoping to go at the end of 2020 as a 70th birthday treat for DH. Covid put a stop to that.
We are determined to go this year and are very pleased that the holiday company have honoured the 2019 price.

hollysteers Thu 11-Aug-22 09:45:10

Usual family holiday in June in Ibiza. No problems as my PA (my DD) is a whizz at organising everyone and finding best prices.
Airports no problem either.
It’s a shame U.K. holidays can work out as so much more expensive.

Kate1949 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:46:38

Not on your Nelly. I also hate airports, flying and all the palarver that goes with it. We're going nowhere. The thought of sitting in a plane at the moment fills me with dread. We've lucky that we've been everywhere we ever wanted to go.
Our daughter and son-in-law are in The Canary Islands at the moment and have said it's too hot to go out.
We had lunch in a rooftop garden here in Birmingham yesterday in the sunshine. That'll do.

Zonne Thu 11-Aug-22 09:58:44

Not looking likely. We were planning to spend the winter in Central America, but my shoulder injury has now turned to full on frozen shoulder, and I can’t carry a rucksack.

We may meet a friend in Germany in October, if her planned work trip pans out - but it looks set to clash with us being in Scotland with other friends.

Not complaining, have been away a lot in the UK this year.

HousePlantQueen Thu 11-Aug-22 10:34:06

For all those concerned about the crowds at airports: firstly, as Pittcity said, don't believe all the media hype, secondly, book fast track security. We did that at Stansted in June, cost us £7 each, and we sailed through.

Grandyma Thu 11-Aug-22 10:36:23

Just returned from a 2 week family holiday In Corfu. Absolutely loved being there but didn’t enjoy the airport & transfers. I fear my travelling abroad days may be over.

Fleurpepper Thu 11-Aug-22 10:55:02

As said above, 100s of European destinations reachable by train. Eurostar to Paris or Lille, and onwards to destination. So so easy and wonderful, providing you don't have severe mobility issues. Modern trains are so easy to access, not more high steps, etc. And it is so simple to ask -could you please help me with my luggage' - and someon always obliges with a smile.

HowVeryDareYou Thu 11-Aug-22 10:58:22

Fat chance. Our passports expired a while ago, anyway. We'll go abroad next year, hopefully.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Aug-22 11:04:11

Eurostar’s not an easy option for people who have a long trek to and from London to add on to the journey. I can be in Paris flying from our local airport in much less time than it would take on a train (if not cancelled) to King’s Cross.

Eurostar was originally scheduled to start up North. But of course it never happened.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 11-Aug-22 12:44:53

We are going to Spain in September, I’m already worrying that I won’t have the correct paperwork to get into the Country.
Covid Certificates. Bank Statements (just in case) and probably more by the time we go. Or looking on the bright side maybe there will be fewer documents needed ?

We usually go abroad 2 or 3 times a year, but haven’t been since 2019, I’d rather stay at home TBH. But MrOops loves to go away. Sigh.

Pittcity Thu 11-Aug-22 13:57:14

I wouldn't worry too much about the paperwork Oops. They already know nearly everything about you from online records.
Just double check the travel pages on Gov.uk before you go.

Patsy70 Thu 11-Aug-22 14:02:40

Yes, I’m going to Estepona with my older sister, who was widowed 4 years ago, at the end of September, to see our oldest sister. We’ve booked accommodation in a lovely apartment in the old town, where we stayed in 2019, and flights booked too. So looking forward to spending time with them.

aonk Thu 11-Aug-22 15:32:09

We’ve already been abroad twice this year on postponed holidays. We have 2 more trips planned. I’m not worried about the airport situation. What will be will be. It won’t kill us to stand in a queue. Don’t believe everything you hear on the news! Life is short so just go for it if you afford to.

sodapop Thu 11-Aug-22 19:23:05

I wouldn't be able to stand in line for an extended period aonk especially if it's hot. Must be worrying for people with mobility problems.

Iam64 Thu 11-Aug-22 20:17:53

Oops don’t worry about paperwork. I’ve found Malaga so friendly

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 20:25:51

No.
I'm going to watch virtual visits from the comfort and cheapness of my armchair.

Norah Thu 11-Aug-22 21:20:00

America in February and again in November.

GagaJo Thu 11-Aug-22 21:22:22

Fleurpepper

GagaJo

Nope. I hate flying anyway, and the thought of all that airport chaos has put me right off.

I'm not a huge fan of holidays anyway, but would like to go back to the island my DGS was born on, to show him the beaches and where he lived as a baby.

Plenty of places in France, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Northern Italy, Austria, and more, easily reachable with very comfortable trains. So no need to fly. And it is fabulous with grand-children, who can move around, and even find other kids to play with. Recently travelled to 4 countries, inter-railing (1st class lol) - and it was magical and so easy. And so many families having a great time.

I'd love to do inter-rail, but definitely not with my DGS. He finds it hard to sit still on a 15 minute bus journey!

Blossoming Thu 11-Aug-22 21:36:11

No, can’t get travel insurance anymore.

ExDancer Thu 11-Aug-22 21:39:21

No. Just not interested any more.

silverlining48 Thu 11-Aug-22 22:18:03

Not been abroad fir over 3 years, but would love to get away September or October.

Hetty58 Thu 11-Aug-22 22:23:42

I have no inclination to - yet. Having not had Covid (as far as I know) I simply don't want to risk being ill - so far from home

Serendipity22 Thu 11-Aug-22 22:39:10

I have been to Canada and Wales and going to Malta in September.

In all honesty, apart from wearing a mask on the flight to canada, it was as if nothing had changed with travelling abroad.

It didn't seem surreal and I wasn't nervous whatsoever.

We all need something to look forward to and a holiday be it abroad or here in the UK will do you good, but, but saying that... circumstances alter cases and not everyone has the money to be tripping off all over the place.

smile