Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you going abroad this year ?

(145 Posts)
Dizza25 Wed 10-Aug-22 22:53:46

Just wondering.

We had plans to, but an operation means it’s a no no until next year.

Looking at a holiday in Cyprus and it’s £250 pp more than 3 years ago in the same hotel at the same time for one week.

Looking at the UK instead but it’s still pricey!!!

Maybe cancel plans altogether and spend it on energy!!!!

Saggi Sat 13-Aug-22 16:03:35

Haven’t been out of my town god 16 years! Disabled husband who refuses to go away or into respite! Happy hols you all!

GrannySomerset Sat 13-Aug-22 16:07:37

Probably as well, oddbird. Mine was sent off on 1 June and has yet to surface. Good thing all I have booked is a three night trip to darkest Hampshire.

Galaxy62 Sat 13-Aug-22 16:13:00

Probably will later in year, no need to atm beautiful in uk ?

GardenofEngland Sat 13-Aug-22 16:29:22

Tenerife the end of the month with my daughter on her holiday/ honeymoon. My lovely husband died in April, we travelled a lot and spent winters in Spain ..but this will be my first solo but not on my own and I am going for a week in Oct to our favourite place in Spain all on my own but again we have friends there. I keep saying we/our when I should say I/my but early days and I have booked a solo holiday coach tour to Italy in May 2023. Different life now on my own but I will get to a happy place in time I hope.

Jenh66 Sat 13-Aug-22 16:31:48

Hubby and I spent 6 weeks on a roadtrip across the US. 4150 miles from West to East. A trip originally planned for 2020. Absolutely fabulous!
Been home around 8 weeks now and ready to go back across the pond

Modompodom Sat 13-Aug-22 16:42:39

Six of us (3 generations), have just oreturned from Italy after spending ten wonderful days with my son and his family. Ryanair flights from Stansted to Venice with no hassle on either flight, except a slight delay on the return journey. No queues for security or collecting our seven suitcases! Go for it, and don't listen to all the complaining. We stayed in San Daniele del Friuli which is about 100km north of Venice, and famous for its ham.

suzikyoo Sat 13-Aug-22 17:29:51

I'm with ya both, Lizzipopbottle and Theoddbird - just love it at home...

Nansypansy Sat 13-Aug-22 17:31:05

Went on holiday with a friend in mid June to Menorca. Don’t intend to go anywhere by plane again. It was far too hot, not close enough and uphill to the nearest town and the airport and parking was a nightmare. All this and my friend picked up Covid probably from the plane. Why do I need to go anywhere now I’m a young (!) 78 year old and live on the southwest coast of Devon.

cc Sat 13-Aug-22 17:37:46

We don't fly on holidays abroad any more, airports and delays really put us off doing this.
I did go on a city break by Eurostar though, just before the first lockdown and really enjoyed it.
I can't see us flying at all in the future, I'd honestly prefer to take short holidays in the UK or just go out for some days out and nice meals.

Mollygo Sat 13-Aug-22 19:59:26

This year, we went on our Covid deferred 2020 cruise and ended up spending 10 days isolating in a rather luxurious German hotel, courtesy of the cruise company we were booked with, who also sent us vouchers in full recompense of the trip we paid for. Excellent service, but we missed the cruise!
We’ve just got back from 14 baking hot days with children and grandchildren in France deferred from 2020. This time, Covid gave us a miss. As I’ve already said, I don’t know about next year because of the cost.

GrammaH Sat 13-Aug-22 20:01:53

It's been very interesting to read all the comments about people putting off overseas holidays because of "all that faff" at the airports. We were due to go to Italy in mid June & I was worried sick about the airport business, due entirely to the overactive press. We were flying from Stansted with Ryanair at 11am. We duly rolled up about 3.5 hours before the flight, as advised by Ryanair, who also said the bag drop wouldn't open until 2 hours before departure. When we arrived at the airport, we were able to drop our bags straight away - no queues, we went straight to the scales. Then it was on to security - again, we went straight to the officials and were through in no time - in fact, from leaving our hotel room, walking to the terminal and going through to the lounges took less than 20 minutes. Similarly, on our return at around 5.30 pm, we went straight through passport control, no queues whatsoever, although it was annoying to have to walk backwards & forwards through the barriers erected to cope with potential long lines of folks. We had the most wonderful holiday ,& are hoping to go to Turkey in October. So don't be put off by reports from some time ago when the queues were, at some airports & at some times of day, very bad.

CvD66 Sat 13-Aug-22 21:51:36

There is far too much inaccuracy in the press about airports chaos. However I do appreciate it helps to be prepared! This year I have had to make numerous trips in and out of the UK. Whenever I have felt vulnerable (grief does that!) I have chosen to pay the extra £7 for fast track passport and/or security. The passport fast track proved unnecessary on that trip but on other occasions it would have been a massive advantage as you cannot predict the number of other flights arriving at the same time! It is particularly helpful if you are trying to make connections ie flights or trains! The security fast track (on leaving UK ) was good except for the passengers who hold things up by being disorganised rather than anything else!
Please don't be put off by the scare stories - travel alway has it challenges but the benefits of foreign trips usually outweighs the challenges.

ALANaV Sat 13-Aug-22 23:57:30

Try booking as a solo traveller ...was quoted for a cruise with Fred Olsen today (advertised at £1,449 ...with solo fares available) ...normally expect to pay maybe an increase of about half of that ........travel agent called .price quoted INSIDE cabin, no window £3,499 !!!!!!!!!!!1 Guess what I said .......so, not going ! Going back to Hurtigruten, my go to cruise line ! Good luck with your holidays ! flowers

ruthiek Sun 14-Aug-22 13:37:27

We flew to Corfu for a month in July , i was worried about airports etc but we sailed through both ways and had a wonderful holiday .

WoodLane7 Sun 14-Aug-22 14:03:22

Been to Paris and Souther Ireland and off to Germany next week - but done it all as coach trips as Cannot face any airport as things stand....

biglouis Sun 14-Aug-22 14:12:27

I doubt I will go abroad again due to mobility issues. Its just too much hassle. I now feel more and more antipathy in being close to a lot of strangers or any croded place so I doubt I could hack it at an airport. My passport is due to expire in sept 23 but I will have to renew it as I dont drive and I need ID for business purposes. I imagine another 10 year passport will see me out!

spottybook Sun 14-Aug-22 17:06:18

We went to Singapore in March to visit much missed son and family who we hadn’t seen for nearly 3 years due to lockdown. We are going again in October. We all feel we need to make up for lost time.

Thisismyname1953 Sun 14-Aug-22 17:13:07

My DH died in 2007 . I was only mid fifties when he died and was used to going on holiday with him twice a year .
Since then I’ve gone on holiday with my DD , SIL and DGD . We had a holiday booked for 2020 but cancelled because of covid . We are , however, booked to go to the Dominican Republic this October and I am so looking forward to returning there once more . Out of season it can be a lot cheaper than Europe. Can’t wait ?

fluttERBY123 Sun 14-Aug-22 19:58:09

Like annsixty no desire to go abroad. We are thinking of visiting some UK cities and seaside places we have never been to. Last went for sun break in the January just before covid. I have lost interest in Abroad.