Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you awake / hot? ?

(88 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 01:48:27

I am.

My bedroom has returned to its sauna like temperatures, despite me having two fans facing me…

I’ve done Wordle, got the radio on and taken some painkillers in the hope that they might help matters.

I might have to get up and eat something…

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 04:46:43

Thank you for the recipe
I will definitely report my findings smile

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 04:49:26

Old ma adventure's secret recipe that is.
So secret even I I don't know it. smile

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 04:50:32

Oh, I have a pair of I's.
Not surprised now I've seen how my fingers look!

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 04:55:03

Help! My head won't stop thinking.

MrsKen33 Thu 11-Aug-22 06:04:18

Well awake now, all windows open and it is coolish. Across the road spent a long and loud time, around 2o’clock, saying goodbye to visitors. Loud voices, yapping dogs and revving cars. It even woke DH. So took a while to get back to sleep. Anyway new bamboo sheets came yesterday so we will put them on the bed today. Supposed to be cooling’.
Another hot day in prospect.

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 06:12:03

‘Morning Ken!
I’ve been awake all night, as has MissA by the look of things.
I’ve got bamboo sheets, and yes, they are lovely.
The come out of the washing machine virtually dry too.

Georgesgran Thu 11-Aug-22 07:56:59

Just seen this thread - thought you might like this - the moon last night where I walked DD2s dog. It really was orange.

Casdon Thu 11-Aug-22 08:08:06

I didn’t sleep well last night either, I woke up sweltering at 4am. It wasn’t actually a full moon though, it’s not until 12th, I knew it wasn’t full because it was massive when I took my dog for a walk too yesterday evening, and you could see that bottom left wasn’t round. It was stunningly beautiful though. My picture isn’t as good as yours georgesgran, it wasn’t dark enough - I’m planning to go out tonight to see if I can get a better one.

geekesse Thu 11-Aug-22 10:53:12

For anyone who can’s sleep tonight, go outside and look at the sky. It’s the peak of the Perseid meteor shower - lots of shooting stars. www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2022/08/10/meteor-shower-uk-perseid-watch-peak-august-full-moon-2022/

Namsnanny Thu 11-Aug-22 11:51:36

Thanks for that information geekesse
I was awake until dawn but didnt look at my phone. I expect tonight to be the same so I shall be star gazing!

Casdon Thu 11-Aug-22 12:12:53

That sounds brilliant geekesse if anybody does see it please post your pictures so we can all see too!

PoppyFlower Thu 11-Aug-22 12:20:02

Hi, I had a bad night too due to my quiet/well used bedroom fan malfunctioning! Another one on order for delivery today, hopefully..?

karmalady Thu 11-Aug-22 18:12:26

I was up at 4 this morning, same as many and opened all the windows and doors all over. It did cool the house by a few degrees but it takes time.

I usually like going up to bed but not tonight, nor the next few nights. Pedestal fan is on for an hour or so and it helps a bit but I feel another long night coming on. The moon is at its fullest at 2.36am in the morning on friday but has its effects for a few days before and after

looking at the garden now, the green plants are gasping as transpiration is greater than root uptake. They will recover overnight. Animals birds plants, we are all suffering

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 18:19:01

I shall be checking out that meteor shower.
I love being outside in the night, gazing up at the sky. smile

pincers Thu 11-Aug-22 18:41:37

Gosh, I'm so lucky - absolutely nothing keeps me awake. Medication - wouldn't wish the need for that particular cocktail on anyone. Lovely to see the moon through the open windows last night, before I fell asleep. Awoke to a beautiful misty dawn.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 19:17:54

Sounds idyllic smile
Fingers crossed tonight may be the night that I go off to the land of winken, blinken, and nodd.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 19:21:47

Found it (and the correct spelling)

POETRY FOUNDATION
POEMS & POETS
HARRIET
ARTICLES
VIDEO
PODCASTS
LEARN
EVENTS
POETRY MAGAZINE
ABOUT US
Newsletter
Search
Search by Poem or Poet
Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
BY EUGENE FIELD
Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe--
Sailed on a river of crystal light,
Into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going, and what do you wish?"
The old moon asked of the three.
"We have come to fish for the herring fish
That live in this beautiful sea;
Nets of silver and gold have we!"
Said Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

The old moon laughed and sang a song,
As they rocked in the wooden shoe,
And the wind that sped them all night long
Ruffled the waves of dew.
The little stars were the herring fish
That lived in that beautiful sea--
"Now cast your nets wherever you wish--
Never afeard are we!"
So cried the stars to the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

All night long their nets they threw
To the stars in the twinkling foam---
Then down from the skies came the wooden shoe,
Bringing the fishermen home;
'T was all so pretty a sail it seemed
As if it could not be,
And some folks thought 't was a dream they 'd dreamed
Of sailing that beautiful sea---
But I shall name you the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

Wynken and Blynken are two little eyes,
And Nod is a little head,
And the wooden shoe that sailed the skies
Is a wee one's trundle-bed.
So shut your eyes while mother sings
Of wonderful sights that be,
And you shall see the beautiful things
As you rock in the misty sea,
Where the old shoe rocked the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod

Nanna29 Sun 14-Aug-22 11:18:21

Hi I live in North East and has been very warm here. My daughter was telling me the other day that she wet a towel in cold water and put it over herself she said it did the trick and she slept. Also ive heard of people buying those cool mats for dogs they have been laying on them while in bed. I haven't tried either but I will if it gets to 30 at night I live on the coast and have never know temperatures like this

Applegran Sun 14-Aug-22 11:18:45

I bought a fan and carry it around in the day to plug in wherever I am and have it on in the night - indoors is sometimes hotter than out of doors. I find the fan at night does the job - even though the bedroom temperature is 27º all night. If you haven't got a fan, its really worth considering - though I know some people are saying it doesn't help them, for me its enabling me to sleep. I feel for everyone who is struggling to sleep - and hope some people in that situation have seen shooting stars!

pce612 Sun 14-Aug-22 11:19:16

Here on the Moray coast it is 14 degrees and misty, Thunder storms forecast for this afternoon,
I am so glad that I don't live further south.

Theoddbird Sun 14-Aug-22 11:22:17

My boat is cool at night....bow and stern doors and all doors inbetween open sends a cool breeze all the way through at night.

SillyNanny321 Sun 14-Aug-22 11:24:40

Wish I could open windows all night but live in a bungalow & alone so will not risk it even though it is so hot even being near the sea! Also I have an indoor cat who needs special diet so she might get out an open window & get lost & I would never forgive myself if I lost her! So we put up with the heat & a noisy fan meaning not a lot of sleep for either the poor cat or me! Never mind it will soon be winter & we will be moaning about the cold. Never happy are we Lol!!

pascal30 Sun 14-Aug-22 11:25:01

I have a Yangze fan which contains water to which I add fplastic containers of frozen water (included). It sends out lovely cold air and is really effective. I bought it a couple of years ago and have used it often. It is free standing on wheels and is very quiet, so can be left on whilst I sleep. It is available on Amazon..

Peaseblossom Sun 14-Aug-22 11:26:24

Esmay Yes, I was talking about that to my friend yesterday. The ground is so dry that it won’t absorb water properly, so flash flooding could be a big problem. As you say, so many people have paved their gardens for parking that there is no soil or grass to absorb it. If people do that they should have one of those drainage grids which run the width of the garden put in.

daffers Sun 14-Aug-22 11:31:33

I spent most of my life in South Africa and Zambia. Now in Scotland. When I feel uncomfortable with the heat I put a wet tea towel around my neck. This works for me.