Gransnet forums

Chat

Going back to where you were raised

(106 Posts)
nanna8 Tue 16-Aug-22 07:05:26

For those who don't live near where they were born and brought up, do you ever go for a look at that area? What were your impressions? I last went back in 2002 when my mother died and although a lot had changed, many things remained the same. A blast from the past. I could still remember the names of many of the small side roads ( we lived on a main road) but my school had disappeared and we knew no one in the road. It is about 17,000 kms or 10,560 miles away from where we live now.

Crumbs Sat 20-Aug-22 22:29:33

Went back once to the flats where I was born in London, and they’ve all been bought, I could not afford to live there now. My cousin and I recently took my mum down memory lane to where she and my cousin lived in London. Mum says they were some of the best days of her life.

oodles Wed 24-Aug-22 12:24:30

@Chestnut, interesting to compare the photos, it's the angle of the camera lens causing the discrepancy, cameras can't lie as such but can mislead, probably any estate agent's photos of houses prove that

MayBee70 Wed 24-Aug-22 12:32:30

Because my childhood homes were all demolished I thought my children would have a fondness for theirs but they don’t seem to have any emotional attachment to the place. I’d give anything to be able to see my old home again. My cousin still lives in the little terraced house that her parents lived in and I love that house because my dad used to take me there as a child. The tiny garden seemed huge to me back then and I still remember the bus ride that took us past Saltley gas works. And because we always went on a Sunday they always seemed to be cooking cabbage.

M0nica Wed 24-Aug-22 16:58:25

*Happysexegenariaan, what a lovely story.

grannysyb Wed 24-Aug-22 19:47:38

Went back a few years ago to see the house in a small market town where we lived with my grandmother and aunt. The old day nursery was turned into a sitting room and the night nursery became a small kitchen. We slept on the top floor. After my GM died we moved into the rest of the house, and later it was sold to the Abbeyfield society who turned it into an old people's home. Some years later it was sold again. The house is now in private hands and looks rather run down.hmm