Gransnet forums

Chat

I cannot believe it!!

(255 Posts)
Aveline Tue 16-Aug-22 12:58:47

Scotland has just appointed the first 'period dignity officer'. A man.
That really does beggar belief. I'm with Martina on this.

volver Tue 16-Aug-22 18:51:41

The job description gives no information as to what knowledge and experience the successful candidate requires, simply a cliche-ridden list of abilities : energy, enthusiasm, excellent communication and IT skills, etc etc.

You might want to have a look at the actual job description in the link. Or are you one of the posters who said they don't follow links?

Also, can I just check? Are people outraged because they think its something to do with the SNP, or something to do with the patriarchy? Or is it both? What joy, so much to be angry about...

Summerlove Tue 16-Aug-22 18:52:45

Germanshepherdsmum

At least Scotland is doing something about the scandal of period poverty - good for them. What difference does it make if the person in charge is male or female? I always had a rule of ‘best person for the job’ when making appointments and it never failed me.

You make a very good point here.

I was a bit taken aback at first, but I think you've summed up my thoughts far more succinctly than I could have.

Its nice to "See" you again.

Summerlove Tue 16-Aug-22 18:53:58

FarNorth

From Twitter -
"How was that post only advertised for 10 days,inc two weekends,so 6 working days, and the man who got it already worked at that university?"

It's starting to look like other people didn't get a lot of chance to apply.

You think 10 days isn't enough time to apply?

Baggs Tue 16-Aug-22 19:18:35

Parsley3

I expect that he has been appointed because he has the necessary project management skills. It has nothing to do with the SNP government this time apart from their policy to provide free sanitary products. In my young day, I would have welcomed those little baskets of tampons and towels that I see in toilets these days. It is a good thing.

Well said. And well done ScotGov for having that policy.

Makes you wonder how poorer people managed in the past though. Perhaps some girls just missed a lot of school.

Blondiescot Tue 16-Aug-22 19:19:28

I'm in total agreement with Germanshepherdsmum (and yes, welcome back GSM!) on this one. I find it hard to get worked up about this - if he was assessed to the best person for the job, so be it. As someone else rightly pointed out, we have male nurses, male midwives etc...

Baggs Tue 16-Aug-22 19:19:31

AmberSpyglass

He’s very unlikely to be speaking to teenagers himself. He’ll be coordinating activities. I think it’s hugely important that more men are comfortable discussing periods.

Yup.

Aveline Tue 16-Aug-22 19:28:27

Yes he is speaking to young girls.
This is a daft appointment. It just happens to have been made in Scotland.

eazybee Tue 16-Aug-22 19:37:31

I read all the available information, including the Period Product Act.
Nothing to do with SNP or the Patriarchy.
Stereotyped waffle.

Male nurses, midwives, doctors, have been through intensive training and assessment.

Callistemon21 Tue 16-Aug-22 19:40:05

Blondiescot

I'm in total agreement with Germanshepherdsmum (and yes, welcome back GSM!) on this one. I find it hard to get worked up about this - if he was assessed to the best person for the job, so be it. As someone else rightly pointed out, we have male nurses, male midwives etc...

Perhaps it is the interview and appointment system which needs to be investigated if it was true that there was no time for outside interested and qualified people to apply?

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Aug-22 19:51:40

Thanks Blondie. It’s so good to be back.

Daisymae Tue 16-Aug-22 21:14:45

I find it hard to imagine young girls feeling comfortable talking to a man about this issue. The idea quite frankly is ridiculous.

AmberSpyglass Tue 16-Aug-22 22:32:42

10 days is hardly unheard of for a job posting.

Callistemon21 Tue 16-Aug-22 22:48:22

AmberSpyglass

10 days is hardly unheard of for a job posting.

When the job has been earmarked for someone, perhaps, yes.

But surely a public body deals with recruitment in a way which is seen to be open to all and fair?

Baggytrazzas Tue 16-Aug-22 23:37:40

Callistemon21

AmberSpyglass

He’s very unlikely to be speaking to teenagers himself. He’ll be coordinating activities. I think it’s hugely important that more men are comfortable discussing periods.

Well, yes it is important. It shouldn't be a taboo subject.

But this doesn't mean that a man is the right person for this job.

Callistemon21, it doesn't matter whether is a man or woman, it must be the best person for the job.

FoghornLeghorn Tue 16-Aug-22 23:43:18

PaperMonster

Well, hopefully he’ll acknowledge that ‘people who menstruate’ are females. hmm

Don’t hold out to much hope for this. He’s already been quoted as saying that trans-women menstruate too. ?

FarNorth Wed 17-Aug-22 00:08:50

Here's another photo.
This girl does not look thrilled.

grannydarkhair Wed 17-Aug-22 00:25:58

Whilst I am all for anything that helps to solve the problems of “period poverty”, I can’t say I’m happy with a man being appointed to this post.

However, I do like this tweet ?
twitter.com/mrsnickyclark/status/1559607338918727686?s=12

Teacheranne Wed 17-Aug-22 00:46:45

I’ve been thinking about this and have read all the posts. I realised that we have all considered that only young girls and women need to be involved in gaining knowledge about periods. In fact, young men also need to know how having monthly periods affects women ( mothers, sisters, girlfriends, work colleagues etc) so that they have more empathy and compassion.

My son, aged 10, had “the sex talk” with his male school friends and came home to tell me that I would have one time when I would bleed when I did a poo and it was nothing to worry about! I wasn’t impressed with the content of the lesson if that’s what he thought and he was not impressed with my correct version!

When I first started work after University in 1979, I worked in a very male dominated profession and had to manage very heavy, painful periods in workplaces with poor facilities for women. It might have helped if some of the men had more understanding of periods so I would not have heard comments like “ Got a convenient headache again? Not going to the toilet again are you? Stop complaining about having a tummy ache, you should eat less spicy food! “

So maybe having a man in this job will help to break down barriers and do away with some of the myths that women still face around menstruation, pregnancy and the menopause.

Just a thought I had.

nanna8 Wed 17-Aug-22 01:55:42

Time to secede I think.

Aveline Wed 17-Aug-22 06:45:27

nanna8 ????

eazybee Wed 17-Aug-22 07:37:47

I have no doubt this man gave the best interview for the job, 'the strongest candidate' ,which does not mean he is the best choice.
A former personal trainer, a sharp young man into self-promotion; eager to make sure 'people of any gender 'were aware of the availability period products. Says it all.

fiorentina51 Wed 17-Aug-22 07:45:26

I was talking to my daughter recently about the whole non binary situation and the use of gender neutral language.
She has a couple of friends who identify as non binary and who get quite annoyed at being referred to as a lady, girl, woman, female or whatever.

I'm guessing, though I have no evidence, that most women are ok with being described as a woman etc and that those who prefer not to are in the minority.
It seems to me that nowadays it's acceptable to erase all references to the female human order that a small section of society is not traumatised or offended by stating the bl***ing obvious.

As for the appointment of a male "period dignity officer," I don't have a problem with that other than the fact that it shouldn't be necessary in this day and age.
The world's gone bonkers.

volver Wed 17-Aug-22 08:03:42

Aveline

nanna8 ????

Hoist on your own petard Aveline?

FarNorth Wed 17-Aug-22 08:07:49

I agree that male people should have more awareness of what happens and a male person could be the right one to help them with that.
Is that what this man is going to do?

volver Wed 17-Aug-22 08:08:16

I have no doubt this man gave the best interview for the job, 'the strongest candidate' ,which does not mean he is the best choice.

I think it means just that. ?