Gransnet forums

Chat

Tesco cancels deliveries today.

(35 Posts)
Nandalot Fri 19-Aug-22 16:06:13

I was sitting here waiting for our Tesco delivery and started browsing Mumsnet and learnt that Tesco has cancelled all deliveries after 1 pm today. No notification so it was good I spotted it. This shop contains our groceries for the first couple of days of our self catering holiday for 5 in quite a remote area so I am not too pleased to say the least!

biglouis Sat 20-Aug-22 16:56:49

As a disabled non driver I rely absolutely on internet shopping and have been with Tesco for many years. I loath food shopping and have never been in a supermarket for about 10 years. I stick very strictly to a set list which is ready stored on the site so shopping takes about 5-10 minutes.

I have my Tesco delivery scheduled for early this morning and was wondering if it would be back to normal. As a precaution I placed in identical order in a slot for tomorrow. However all my shopping arrived and I was able to cancel the extra deslivery for someone else to have the slot.

Whay I did like about Tesco was that during the lockdown when everyone was after slots they did look after their existing customers and set up a system of priority slots for anyone disabled or vulnerable.

LauraNorderr Sat 20-Aug-22 14:06:54

We’ve just had our usual text from Tesco listing a couple of substitutions to this afternoon’s order. All seems to be well.
We have done our grocery shop on line for many years, I hate shopping and also I’m not tempted by the sweet offerings that are planted around the till.
Lovely to hear about so many communities where those who can will shop for those who can’t. Heart warming.

Callistemon21 Sat 20-Aug-22 13:50:38

It's good to know there are groups around the country helping.

Kate1949 Sat 20-Aug-22 12:54:35

I think your neighbour was very lucky Polly. According to the news, it was all deliveries nationwide.

PollyDolly Sat 20-Aug-22 12:50:19

Was this a nationwide cancellation or just local to the OP I wonder? my near neighbours had a delivery yesterday PM.

Jaxjacky Sat 20-Aug-22 12:48:32

I’ve just had a phone call from a lady on behalf of the Tesco CX, we had a constructive chat, e-voucher on it’s way, thé call was appreciated as a response to my email.

VioletSky Sat 20-Aug-22 12:00:08

What a nightmare, hope you got something sorted

Nannashirlz Sat 20-Aug-22 11:55:34

Yes it’s a technical problem with them and you have to reboot it. It’s nightmare trying because every man and jack are trying lol

Jaxjacky Sat 20-Aug-22 11:49:13

The voluntary group I’m in did that during the height of lockdowns Callistemon21. We don’t do it now as everything opened up we’re back to lifts for medical appointments, our resources are limited.

Pittcity Sat 20-Aug-22 11:20:42

Callistemon21

Those of you who are able to go shopping - do you offer to help anyone in your area who may, for one reason or another, be unable to get to the shops or lug heavy shopping home?

We have a local group here who pushed notes through doors offering to shop, pick up prescriptions etc. A great community spirit.

We have several such groups here too. Our estate has a residents association who are happy to help too.
We walk to a nearby supermarket so are limited as to what we could carry. Our more elderly neighbours have trollies. We are lucky to live in a city centre so if Tesco can't deliver then there are plenty of alternatives. You can even use Deliveroo to bring you a pint of milk within the hour if you are willing to pay for delivery.

aggie Sat 20-Aug-22 10:38:50

We did a bit of shopping for my sister after she had a fall , it was an eye opener
She had never made a list , so we jotted down items ( with instructions, )
Then we’d get a call mid shop , don’t get xyz neighbour got it , forgot she was shopping today
Another call , don’t get Bananas if they are too green / ripe , too many on the bunch
The day she phoned to ask me to get one tub of yogurt was memorable
Poor woman loved shopping and it drove her to despair, so we managed to get her and her walker to the shops , but now she is back driving

Callistemon21 Sat 20-Aug-22 10:34:36

We are frighteningly reliant on technology these days aren't we?

Yes we are and, of course, the whole supply chain from producer through to customer is reliant on technology.

ExDancer Sat 20-Aug-22 10:32:06

I don't like shopping either. Tesco are usually the best around here, I especially like the cheaper delivery option where, if you are happy with waiting around for 3 hrs at unpopular times they will deliver for £1.50 - this was no problem during lockdown.
We are frighteningly reliant on technology these days aren't we?

Callistemon21 Sat 20-Aug-22 10:24:31

Those of you who are able to go shopping - do you offer to help anyone in your area who may, for one reason or another, be unable to get to the shops or lug heavy shopping home?

We have a local group here who pushed notes through doors offering to shop, pick up prescriptions etc. A great community spirit.

PollyDolly Sat 20-Aug-22 10:20:48

Fleurpepper

As an aside, am I the only person on GN who has never had a home food delivery from a supermarket?

No, you're not. I have never had a delivery from a supermarket either. Much prefer to select our own shopping.

Callistemon21 Sat 20-Aug-22 10:20:02

How does it help anyone expecting home deliveries to say "I've never had a home delivery". confused

Some of us relied on home deliveries because we were shielding during lockdowns. Some of us were unable to get home deliveries for weeks and relied on neighbours and family to shop for us.
Some of us have continued with home deliveries because it's difficult to shop for one reason or another.

hulahoop Sat 20-Aug-22 10:15:44

I've never had home delivery either .

Kate1949 Sat 20-Aug-22 09:48:02

We have one booked for Tuesday too. However it's not vital for us
We have had Tesco deliveries every 10 days since the start of the pandemic. Apart from one or two small blips, they have been fantastic. We tried Asda first. They were useless. Iceland is pretty good and I believe you can get same day delivery sometimes.

Pittcity Sat 20-Aug-22 08:53:39

We used to have home deliveries but changed to shopping ourselves when a Lidl was built within walking distance. We kept it up over COVID as it was one of the only activities you were allowed to do.
We had a takeaway last night and they said they were extra busy as people had been let down by Tesco and Sainsbury's and had been relying on the delivery for their evening meal.

Teacheranne Sat 20-Aug-22 01:13:44

I hope they fix it soon! I have a delivery booked for Tuesday and will struggle if it is also cancelled. I am physically unable to get to the shops so I don’t know what I could do apart from ask my sister to shop for me.

Fingers crossed!

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Aug-22 22:07:20

Thanks Deedaa not very good for your son.

Deedaa Fri 19-Aug-22 21:58:31

My son is one of Tesco's delivery drivers. He had a call at lunchtime to tell him not to come in for his evening shift because a computer error meant they couldn't pick any of the orders. It wasn't till later that we found that it was a national problem and not just his store. In fact he tells me it is affecting them internationally as well.

Auntieflo Fri 19-Aug-22 21:54:10

We have never had a home delivery either.

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Aug-22 21:51:03

Not sure Fleurpepper probably not, I’ve been having them for about seven years, I don’t like shopping much.

Fleurpepper Fri 19-Aug-22 21:24:48

As an aside, am I the only person on GN who has never had a home food delivery from a supermarket?