Gransnet forums

Chat

Tesco cancels deliveries today.

(34 Posts)
Nandalot Fri 19-Aug-22 16:06:13

I was sitting here waiting for our Tesco delivery and started browsing Mumsnet and learnt that Tesco has cancelled all deliveries after 1 pm today. No notification so it was good I spotted it. This shop contains our groceries for the first couple of days of our self catering holiday for 5 in quite a remote area so I am not too pleased to say the least!

Maggiemaybe Fri 19-Aug-22 16:37:33

Aaargh, such bad timing for you, Nandalot! I hope you manage to get it delivered tomorrow at least.

Nandalot Fri 19-Aug-22 16:48:18

It will be too late tomorrow as we won’t be here if they do!
I think they are just cancelling them completely because they will be full with booked deliveries already.

Callistemon21 Fri 19-Aug-22 16:52:24

I wonder why?

There was a problem with our last Tesco delivery during the heatwave as they emailed us to say fresh and frozen items were out of stock because they had a problem with their fridges and freezers.
However, most of it did arrive although there were some substitutions.

Kate1949 Fri 19-Aug-22 16:55:01

I've just seen this on the Mail online. How odd.

Nandalot Fri 19-Aug-22 16:56:20

I think it is a computer systems error/ or attack. However, on Mumsnet now some people are getting their deliveries but not everyone. Not us!

granfromafar Fri 19-Aug-22 17:11:23

So sorry to hear that Nandalot. Hope you are able to get to a store to make up for it. It's unbelievable that Tesco should do that without notifying the customers. Enjoy your holiday.

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Aug-22 20:28:06

Same here Nandalot I rang them as I hadn’t had the usual email, girl on the phone checked and came back with that news. No txt, mail or phone call, appallingly bad customer service.
I’ve emailed the CEO [email protected].
The girl on the phone said I wouldn’t be charged, should think not, an e voucher would be sent, no sign.
I’ve ordered with Asda for tomorrow.
Sorry about you’re holiday food.

Callistemon21 Fri 19-Aug-22 20:49:13

Perhaps their systems are all down

Something similar happened to a group of us not long ago and a couple of members of the party had to go and do a very large shop en route.

I hope you have time to do a shop, Nandalot, very disappointing.

Fleurpepper Fri 19-Aug-22 21:24:48

As an aside, am I the only person on GN who has never had a home food delivery from a supermarket?

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Aug-22 21:51:03

Not sure Fleurpepper probably not, I’ve been having them for about seven years, I don’t like shopping much.

Auntieflo Fri 19-Aug-22 21:54:10

We have never had a home delivery either.

Deedaa Fri 19-Aug-22 21:58:31

My son is one of Tesco's delivery drivers. He had a call at lunchtime to tell him not to come in for his evening shift because a computer error meant they couldn't pick any of the orders. It wasn't till later that we found that it was a national problem and not just his store. In fact he tells me it is affecting them internationally as well.

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Aug-22 22:07:20

Thanks Deedaa not very good for your son.

Teacheranne Sat 20-Aug-22 01:13:44

I hope they fix it soon! I have a delivery booked for Tuesday and will struggle if it is also cancelled. I am physically unable to get to the shops so I don’t know what I could do apart from ask my sister to shop for me.

Fingers crossed!

Pittcity Sat 20-Aug-22 08:53:39

We used to have home deliveries but changed to shopping ourselves when a Lidl was built within walking distance. We kept it up over COVID as it was one of the only activities you were allowed to do.
We had a takeaway last night and they said they were extra busy as people had been let down by Tesco and Sainsbury's and had been relying on the delivery for their evening meal.

Kate1949 Sat 20-Aug-22 09:48:02

We have one booked for Tuesday too. However it's not vital for us
We have had Tesco deliveries every 10 days since the start of the pandemic. Apart from one or two small blips, they have been fantastic. We tried Asda first. They were useless. Iceland is pretty good and I believe you can get same day delivery sometimes.

hulahoop Sat 20-Aug-22 10:15:44

I've never had home delivery either .

Callistemon21 Sat 20-Aug-22 10:20:02

How does it help anyone expecting home deliveries to say "I've never had a home delivery". confused

Some of us relied on home deliveries because we were shielding during lockdowns. Some of us were unable to get home deliveries for weeks and relied on neighbours and family to shop for us.
Some of us have continued with home deliveries because it's difficult to shop for one reason or another.

PollyDolly Sat 20-Aug-22 10:20:48

Fleurpepper

As an aside, am I the only person on GN who has never had a home food delivery from a supermarket?

No, you're not. I have never had a delivery from a supermarket either. Much prefer to select our own shopping.

Callistemon21 Sat 20-Aug-22 10:24:31

Those of you who are able to go shopping - do you offer to help anyone in your area who may, for one reason or another, be unable to get to the shops or lug heavy shopping home?

We have a local group here who pushed notes through doors offering to shop, pick up prescriptions etc. A great community spirit.

ExDancer Sat 20-Aug-22 10:32:06

I don't like shopping either. Tesco are usually the best around here, I especially like the cheaper delivery option where, if you are happy with waiting around for 3 hrs at unpopular times they will deliver for £1.50 - this was no problem during lockdown.
We are frighteningly reliant on technology these days aren't we?

Callistemon21 Sat 20-Aug-22 10:34:36

We are frighteningly reliant on technology these days aren't we?

Yes we are and, of course, the whole supply chain from producer through to customer is reliant on technology.

aggie Sat 20-Aug-22 10:38:50

We did a bit of shopping for my sister after she had a fall , it was an eye opener
She had never made a list , so we jotted down items ( with instructions, )
Then we’d get a call mid shop , don’t get xyz neighbour got it , forgot she was shopping today
Another call , don’t get Bananas if they are too green / ripe , too many on the bunch
The day she phoned to ask me to get one tub of yogurt was memorable
Poor woman loved shopping and it drove her to despair, so we managed to get her and her walker to the shops , but now she is back driving

Pittcity Sat 20-Aug-22 11:20:42

Callistemon21

Those of you who are able to go shopping - do you offer to help anyone in your area who may, for one reason or another, be unable to get to the shops or lug heavy shopping home?

We have a local group here who pushed notes through doors offering to shop, pick up prescriptions etc. A great community spirit.

We have several such groups here too. Our estate has a residents association who are happy to help too.
We walk to a nearby supermarket so are limited as to what we could carry. Our more elderly neighbours have trollies. We are lucky to live in a city centre so if Tesco can't deliver then there are plenty of alternatives. You can even use Deliveroo to bring you a pint of milk within the hour if you are willing to pay for delivery.