Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 20th August 2022

(49 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 20-Aug-22 05:50:02

Good Morning Everyone,
A grey but clear start here in brackley this morning , as its the weekend its a full day today .
I hope to get the bus to Buckingham and go to Bicester , that way to see the changing landscape thanks to HS2 .
Go to my favourite cafe,have a coffee and a breakfast bap , small shop , to return home by bus direct .
I will then watch the Vuelta cycle race on TV , and have Chinese Take Away .
Take Care,
Mick

Doodle Sat 20-Aug-22 12:40:21

BlueSapphire we were on Discovery 3 weeks ago. Lovely ship bet you have a good time.
Glammagran we were on Adventure last year.
Have a lovely time both of you.

BlueSapphire Sat 20-Aug-22 11:55:50

glammagran I am on Spirit of Discovery!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 20-Aug-22 11:35:57

Oops Happy Anniversary Glammagran ?

(Sorry wrong again)

GrannyGravy13 Sat 20-Aug-22 11:35:05

Morning Mick and all

I am late to the party today, already been down the road to butchers and Turkish supermarket, now sitting with a Danish pastry and latte in my kitchen and scrolling GN.

DH is cooking this evening, I am lazing (thanks *Urmstongran #lazygran).

Tomorrow we are off to one of my oldest friends, we lived next door to each other 42 years ago, we have got up to some mischief over the years ? Hopefully the weather will be kind to us so we can dine outside.

The coming week is our last full on Grandparents duty, we have two on Tuesday, two elder GSs come to stay from Wed am till Friday afternoon, and will be joined by The Imp and the 7yr old on Friday. We have a much needed rest on Saturday before going to sons to look after 5yr old GD and nearly 3yr old GS along with their new puppy who cannot be left for more than a couple of hours.

I think I might need a couple of days laying down in a darkened room in September ????

Happy anniversary Grammaretto

Welcome Gala

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️?

(thinking if changing my sign off which I started in first lockdown, hopefully come up with something more quirky)

aggie Sat 20-Aug-22 10:55:37

Good morning everyone from a damp NI,
One tomato ? in the greenhouse , loads of green one , here’s hoping ?

Nannagarra Sat 20-Aug-22 10:14:55

Good morning and welcome fellow Seftonite Gala. DH was driving as I read the van’s sign so was able to snap it. I thought it gently self-deprecating but as hollysteers rightly remarked a few weeks ago when she mentioned DNR on her friend’s chest, some Scouse humour for those beyond the city can be deemed to be ‘off’. Thanks for the endorsement of the company; I’ll go to them too.
I’m in a extensive group of people decluttering I see. DH is happily retaining items I put to one side for the charity shop, filling up ‘his’ garage. For weeks we’ve been doing so well...
?‍♀️
Love your fans, grandMattie. You are one very skilled lady.
The dinosaur-shaped sandwich cutter has arrived, Grandmabatty. I’ll have a practice run before Monday’s visit from Mr. Busy. He also likes the lemon and lime trifle made to the recipe you gave me Gabrielle56. Much appreciated.
The other branch of the family is visiting today for a catch up and lunch. Their latest tale of ordering by app at a nationwide eatery prior to a cinema visit had us howling with laughter - it was us to a tee.
Happy 40th wedding anniversary glammagran. ?
Many happy returns for all those celebrating birthdays. It’s my school friend’s special day too so I’ll wish you all a smile-filled Saturday before I contact her.
? ? ?

hulahoop Sat 20-Aug-22 10:10:36

Happy Anniversary Glammagran ??.It's a bright morning here but some dark clouds are lurking .I had a lovely day out with friend yesterday we had some catching up to do. Not up to much today maybe some reading. Have a good day whatever you are doing.

Blossoming Sat 20-Aug-22 09:54:42

Good morning Mick and everyone. It’s cloudy in my corner of Lancashire, currently 16°C.

Nothing much planned for today, just general housework, usual exercises, Gaelic practice and a little sewing.

Hello Gala welcome to the forum.

Happy Anniversary Glammagran

Have the best day possible all ???

luluaugust Sat 20-Aug-22 09:45:54

Good morning all from a sunny W Kent. Trip into town for some fence paint, we really know how to enjoy ourselves here! then I must make a cake. I bet I don't do a lot else.
Hope everyone has the best day possible.

Georgesgran Sat 20-Aug-22 09:14:20

Good morning from a still, overcast Durham. Central heating time switch is showing a fault and efforts to reset (by me) have failed, so there’s no hot water. I’m away from Monday, so it won’t be looked at until next month! I’ll have to make use of the dishwasher and electric shower.
Have ordered exterior wood stain from a depot 15 miles away, so off there now to collect, as decorator expected as soon as I’ve home.
Lobster Harrigran - my absolute favourite - nearly treated myself to one at Amble a couple of weeks ago.
Best wishes to all for a good weekend.

baubles Sat 20-Aug-22 09:05:35

Welcome Gala ?

GrannySomerset Sat 20-Aug-22 09:02:30

Woke to find no hot water so am shower deprived until the boiler does its thing. If I haven’t used much hot water the boiler switches itself off which is frustrating and the source of suggestions that I may need to replace it. Not what I need to hear.

So a quick shop and a mid-morning shower before DD and DSiL arrive in time for lunch. Not sure what if anything we will do though I have a couple of jobs for DSiL if he is up for that but I will greatly enjoy their company.

baubles Sat 20-Aug-22 09:01:46

Good morning Mick, morning all from South Lanarkshire where it’s piddling down again. It feels quite autumnal with all the wind and rain and I’ve noticed quite a few trees are changing colour already.

I had coffee out yesterday with my friend whose DF’s funeral was early in the week. She’s really suffering in her grief, I wish I could help her but at least I can listen.

No plans today, if I can summon the energy I may sort out some clothes for the charity shop.

Have the best day possible everyone.

Grammaretto Sat 20-Aug-22 08:53:30

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Rain here today so I am glad we are not relying on sunshine for tomorrows clann gathering and that DS and his family spring cleaned completely gutted the big room which I hardly enter usually.
I'd better go quickly. A message has just come in from someone who thinks it's today.shock
Back to read all your posts later

Greyduster Sat 20-Aug-22 08:45:23

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a sunny South Yorkshire. I did battle with the shrubbery at the side of the drive yesterday, which was getting out of hand. There is a very large fuschia which I hate. All my efforts to kill it have failed, so I just have to keep cutting it back. That and other recalcitrant specimens wore me to a frazzle. I tidied up the patio at the back and then gave in. Delighted to find “Shetland” on IPlayer last night! I am going over to DDs this afternoon and will stay the night. I’ll drop in on a wedding party I’ve been invited to this evening. I won’t stay; not up social occasions on my own yet, but I just want to wish the happy couple well and give them a gift.
Welcome Gala. Hope to see you again. All are welcome!
Have a good day folks.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 20-Aug-22 08:24:22

Good morning from a sunny Oxfordshire, The whole family went out last night whilst I dog sat, it hasnt happened before and it was a party I didn’t want to go to as it was on a boat and I get so sick, they all had a great time.
Shopping this morning as the rest of MzOops family will arrive tonight and only she knows what they will eat tomorrow, I am determined that this year I will not spend my day cooking, so we will spend a fortune on bought in food! I feel guilty already.
I will read this thread later when we return.
Hope everyone has a good day

Susan56 Sat 20-Aug-22 08:24:04

Good morning from Shropshire.It’s been raining overnight which is such a shame as it is our little towns balloon carnival this weekend.The dawn launch which is usually spectacular was cancelled.Hopefully if the sun comes out the rest of the events can continue.

Disaster struck yesterday!After my clean bill of health at the dentist on Tuesday, I was sitting minding my own business and a corner of a back tooth fell off?As we are away next week I have the anticipation of an appointment when I get back.Cue a week of stressing about another dental visit?

Poor Henry was such a sad little chap yesterday after mummy and big sis left for their trip to Glasgow.He cheered up eventually but wanted cuddles most of the day which was lovely but we were glad when he livened up which was about five o’clock?

Shazza, I share your nervousness about meeting new people.I’m sure it will go well??

I love the fans grandMattie.I would love to have a go at making some.

cornergran?

Have a good day everyone??

Pittcity Sat 20-Aug-22 08:20:34

Good morning from sunny Colchester. A clear blue sky so its going to be hot.
DH has just driven another minibus off of the drive and is taking a group of youngsters to the Lake District for a Duke of Edinburgh's award expedition. He only got back from a similar jaunt to Wales last Wednesday. There is a lot of catching up to do after 2 years off and there is a lack of qualified staff. He is happy to have the time to do it. This time I have DS at home and his GF is here a lot of the time as she is a student.
Today I am catching up on laundry while they sleep in after a night out and then relaxing once it gets hot later.
Love to all ?x

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 20-Aug-22 08:16:14

Good morning all from sunny Harrogate
Welcome Gala, we look forward to hearing more from you.
Happy anniversary Glammagran
Yesterday had a change of plan. We got on a bus to Leeds, had some vouchers to use in JL cafe, so that sorted lunch! When we went to get a bus back, the direct bus had been cancelled, so we got the shoogly bus that went via Wetherby (the scenic way). It took a lot longer but we passed through villages we didn’t know existed! It proved to be a lovely tour!
With all the talk of clearing craft rooms, maybe that’s what I should be doing today, especially since at the end of the month it will have to be a bedroom for visitors coming to my cousin’s funeral
Have the best day possible folks

brook2704 Sat 20-Aug-22 08:14:20

Good morning everyone from Inverness where one minute it’s sunny the next minute raining, no idea what it’s going to end up like
A warm welcome and ? to Gala and a Happy Anniversary to glammagran
Today we’re probably meeting up sometime with DD2 when she decides what she’s doing. Other than that no plans. We had a lovely get together at the end of the cul de sac last night with the neighbours, a bit of music, singing and general catch ups all round. It was lovely to see everyone as usually it’s just a wave from the car as you drive past.
Hope the last performances of the show go well Ash you’ve worked really hard and it sounds like you’ve had a great time with lots of laughs
Hoping everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care all whatever the day brings ?

Grandmadinosaur Sat 20-Aug-22 08:05:42

Good morning all from a beautiful,sunny Llandudno. We shall be sorry to leave today but we shall be back pantglas as we do like it here. The scenery as we drove back from Betws y Coed the other day was just stunning.

So off to breakfast soon and then heading home. Usually we have a stop off somewhere but we shall see.

Happy Anniversary glammagran and Mr G ??

Enjoy your quieter days Urms we’ve just booked a week away with the family at half term. Not sure what we’ve let ourselves in for! We are planning a couple of family free days!

Take care everyone.

Beechnut Sat 20-Aug-22 08:05:30

Good Morning from sunny Severnside.
Congratulations on your Ruby wedding anniversary Mr&Mrsglammagran ?

I’ve a class to attend this morning and the circus later on today. I expect that will put a smile on my face as I’ve been feeling a little grumpy lately. I hope it’s not catching and wish you all a good day ??

monk08 Sat 20-Aug-22 08:02:12

Good morning all from a sunny Black country.
?welcome Gala do drop in more often.
Ash thought of you last night we watched the Allo Allo tribute.
Well we booked a family holiday for next year DiL over the moon we will be in Benalmadena for her birthday, being a wild swimmer she said she'd celebrate in the sea, each to their own.
Friends coming later so a trip over to the club is this evening's schedule.
Usual full English calling so will come back later to catch up with everybody's news.
Best wishes to anyone celebrating and virtual hugs where needed.
Enjoy your Saturday and may you all find some ?.

hollysteers Sat 20-Aug-22 07:59:53

Good morning Mick and all from a breezy brightening northwest coast.
V nice to meet up with old singing colleague yesterday and we were able to sit out and have coffee in the garden and catch up after a long time. He brought flowers and a CD of him singing arias. I should get organised on that. I have a CD but it was a one day effort and I’m not thrilled by it.
I’m sorting photos but will still be leaving so many. Trying to be ruthless. Five photos of DD going down a water slide can be culled for example.
I was going to go to a big local flower show today, but am going on a long day trip tomorrow and know it will tire me out. Never particularly enjoyed it before, so will have a quiet day. Oh for more stamina!
Happy Saturday and thoughts to those with troubles.

NannyJan53 Sat 20-Aug-22 07:57:40

Good morning from a bright and sunny Black Country,

It is DGD's 14th Birthday today. She is having her friends over today, and family are going for a get together tomorrow. DD is making her an ice-cream cake.

Rang Audiology for Mum yesterday as her hearing has deteriorated and I feel she needs a hearing test and upgraded hearing aids. Apparently they have no appointments until 2023! As we had an appointment with her Doctor for the memory clinic I mentioned it to her. She said this is not good enough, and referred her to Spec Savers as they have a shorter waiting list. How short we are yet to find out with confirmation of a date. She couldn't continue with questions as Mum wouldn't hear properly. So a further appointment is to be made once hearing aids are sorted.

A walk this morning along our local canal with a group of friends, then stop at a cafe for breakfast. Then home to start packing for a trip away to Great Yarmouth on Monday with Mum. This is a belated trip for her 90th 2 years ago, which Covid put paid to.

Welcome to gala

Enjoy your day everyone