Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you bring home from holidays?

(74 Posts)
Sago Wed 07-Sep-22 17:54:29

Earlier this year we drove to France and came home with; Wine, wooden floor cleaner, soap and olive oil.

We’re currently in France but flying home so really limited, friends are driving back with our wine and walnut oil so it’s just 4 bags of bouquet garni.

What do you bring home from your travels?

grannypiper Sun 25-Sep-22 18:20:31

Jager saus and schnapps

Ali08 Sun 25-Sep-22 18:14:57

Dirty washing!

Joseanne Sun 25-Sep-22 16:39:10

This afternoon I went to offer the posh macarons I brought back from France only to find all that was left was the lid.
The dog had obviously got his own back for our long absence!

biglouis Thu 22-Sep-22 23:54:17

I have brought back antiques from every country Ive ever visited. I once brought back a table in a bag from Syria. Just seen one like it in an auction sale and bidding began at ££££. I am now trying to gradually declutter.

DillytheGardener Thu 22-Sep-22 20:09:42

Generally just piles of dirty washing ?

Mamardoit Thu 22-Sep-22 19:54:59

Lots of photos and maybe the occasional bottle of whatever is local. I bought a key ring with the Catalonian flag on in Barcelona but only because I needed it.

I bought a stick of Blackpool rock ten years ago. I threw it away this summer when I as having a clear out. My teeth are a product of 1960s/70s dentistry ie. all back teeth are mostly fillings. No way can I afford to risk eating seaside rock.

Casdon Thu 22-Sep-22 16:22:50

If I’m away in the UK I always seek out the RNLI shop, and without fail I buy a jar of their marmalade. It’s the best.

Witzend Thu 22-Sep-22 16:19:13

Hmm - I just opened a jar of ‘Traditional New England, Cape Cod Blueberry Preserve’ - brought home last week, and had some on toast.
Bitter disappointment! Just over-sweet and utterly bland - what a waste of ten ?dollars!
I’ll stick to good old British Blackcurrant in future.

Serendipity22 Sat 17-Sep-22 19:25:22

Plenty of photos. Nothing in particular from the places we visited, by that I mean no niknacks and souvenirs.

When my mum and dad went abroad, they would have a list as long as your arm of presents to bring back, they would return with lace tablecloths, napkins, towels.... I must admit when I took my own family on holiday, I followed suit for a few years until I told myself to enjoy my holiday instead of searching for wonderful presents to bring everyman and his dog back....

Now I go and the only thing i bring back is dirty washing ohh and myself.... smile

Margiknot Sat 17-Sep-22 17:04:03

If we go to rural France, I buy environmentally safe cleaning products suitable for homes not on mains drainage! Most houses in rural France use septic tanks or filter bed systems, so even small shops sell suitable products. Of course we also return with cheese, wine, herbs saffron and local specialties.

gulligranny Sat 17-Sep-22 16:49:19

Not always everything I went with! Last time it was DH's lightweight jacket and a pair of silver earrings that got left behind ...

Blossoming Sat 17-Sep-22 16:48:13

Memories

M0nica Sat 17-Sep-22 16:45:49

Just returned from Norway with a warm winter wrap made from alpaca wool- oh yes, and COVID!

Joseanne Sat 17-Sep-22 14:07:27

koala ?

Witzend Sat 17-Sep-22 14:04:25

This time, 3 lobster shaped lollipops for Gdcs, chocolate covered cranberries, a nice leather bag, some hand dyed knitting wool and a vertebra (small whale or large dolphin) found on the beach. (I’ve posted elsewhere about the last two.)

Joseanne Sat 17-Sep-22 13:33:45

No idea! It was quite funny when we opened the boot because two blue France footballs we'd bought fell out and went bouncing around the port. Followed by a conversation with DH about rugby, so we were let off too much investigation!

Christmas decorations are always lovely from abroad. I like the cheeky kaola Beautful.

Mollygo Sat 17-Sep-22 11:33:24

Joseanne

Own up. Who dobbed me in? I've just been pulled into the little shed at security and customs in St. Malo and had to unpack my boot!

What on earth did they think you might have? Hope you soon managed to repack your boot. ???
We got pulled over bringing my teenage grandchildren back from France.

When I asked why, they said it was because young people don’t usually travel with old people.
Old people!!!!!

Beautful Sat 17-Sep-22 10:22:07

I usually give my family some money , although if any where special get a Christmas decoration, even for friends if somewhere special, not too big then use it at Christmas only, treat myself aswell, also family buy me Christmas decorations which I love aswell

harrigran Sat 17-Sep-22 09:47:29

Wine, olive oil and herbs.

Joseanne Sat 17-Sep-22 09:34:29

Own up. Who dobbed me in? I've just been pulled into the little shed at security and customs in St. Malo and had to unpack my boot!

Marmight Fri 09-Sep-22 09:24:39

Not much these days in the knick knack dept. (Trying to become less cluttered but it’s hard work). Things always looks so lovely displayed in foreign parts but when brought home, just 2 or 3 items look a bit lost. I always stock up on underwear from Target when in Oz. I think I’ve got enough now to ‘see me out’ ? My last mini holiday was a weekend in Lyme Regis & I returned with 2 books from a lovely local book shop and a metal whale which the DD admired so she’ll get it for her birthday in November.

Maggierose Fri 09-Sep-22 09:22:49

I brought back a saucepan lid from France that fits all size saucepans. You can probably get them on Amazon though.

Luckygirl3 Fri 09-Sep-22 08:11:01

Just back from Provence with 13 members of my family - we all, every one of us, brought back a streaming cold which started the day after arriving home. Not the souvenir we might have chosen.

Babs758 Thu 08-Sep-22 23:30:09

Big bag of Nutmegs and vanilla pods and sulphur soap from the Caribbean markets.
Provence soap and vache qui rit cocktails cheeses at Christmas from France plus a case of decent Pouilly Fumé and white asparagus from the Spring markets.

pandapatch Thu 08-Sep-22 22:50:49

My husband, complete with random bits of stone he has picked up (he loves archeology) and some undrinkable local drink that tasted great on holiday!