Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you bring home from holidays?

(73 Posts)
Sago Wed 07-Sep-22 17:54:29

Earlier this year we drove to France and came home with; Wine, wooden floor cleaner, soap and olive oil.

We’re currently in France but flying home so really limited, friends are driving back with our wine and walnut oil so it’s just 4 bags of bouquet garni.

What do you bring home from your travels?

Calendargirl Wed 07-Sep-22 17:55:33

Dirty washing usually.

?

V3ra Wed 07-Sep-22 18:10:42

From Greece in August we just brought back our usual souvenir mugs, egg cups and tea towels, plus loukoumi, which is the greek version of turkish delight.

My wine is coming from France this month, if my husband knows what's good for him!
He's off on his annual jolly-boys' golf trip, driving his car ?️

Aldom Wed 07-Sep-22 18:11:13

I remember bringing back, from France, amongst other things, walnut oil and potato flour. All in the car boot. Walnut oil somehow leaked and ruined the flour. hmm
From Israel, olive wood items, candles and water from the river Jordan. Canada, a carved wooden Canada goose and bread knives' with wooden handles. Glass Canada geese, Christmas tree ornaments, for family. (Christmas shop, Niagara Falls) Australia, an Aboriginal box, beautifully made in shades of blue. Koala bears (for GC) and an Aboriginal boomerang. Italy, a handbag. smile Happy memories.

Grandmadinosaur Wed 07-Sep-22 18:15:54

Wine, any local alcohol drinks ( they never taste the same back home though!) any local sweet delicacies ie turron from Spain,fridge magnets,a calendar of the country visited.

Lucca Wed 07-Sep-22 18:17:27

In the past I’ve brought home knickers from France, stationery for the kids from supermarket, from Italy Parmesan prosciutto etc but last time I brought home Covid !

Zonne Wed 07-Sep-22 18:34:55

Photos.
Small gifts for my grandchildren.

If I’m in Canada or the right areas of the US, good maple syrup at a fraction of UK prices, and from the Us overall, some seasonings I can’t buy here.

And, I’m almost embarrassed to admit, retsina if I’m in some areas of Greece.

Joseanne Wed 07-Sep-22 18:42:22

Not going to say too much in case my car is stopped by customs at Portsmouth next week. But in the eating and drinking department, wine, cider, teisseire sirops, packets of crêpes, salad dressing, salt, biscuits.
Also kitchenware, a poster, clothes for DGCs. A hedgehog toy ball for the dog.

Septimia Wed 07-Sep-22 18:50:51

Photos.
Cheese.
Orkney oatcakes.
Gin!

JenniferEccles Wed 07-Sep-22 19:16:33

I did laugh at your comment Calendargirl ! That’s about right isn’t it?
I made a conscious decision to not start buying presents abroad for the family, apart from little things for the grandchildren.
I’ve never brought food home as we can get most things here nowadays.

Millie22 Wed 07-Sep-22 19:21:46

A hotel bathmat

A lamp possibly but it was far too big for my suitcase ?

Maistoprofas Wed 07-Sep-22 19:28:10

Whiskey and everything for pasta :D Love it ..

Auntieflo Wed 07-Sep-22 19:31:04

Calendargirl, that was my immediate thought ?

CanadianGran Wed 07-Sep-22 19:34:38

Not very much these days. So many products are now available everywhere, and we don't need knick-knack souvenirs. We usually pick up one magnet for the front of our fridge.

I wish we could drive to France! The car would be filled with food items, and perhaps junk-shop finds. As it was, we came back with tea-towels and the nicest herbes de provence.

From Mexico, vanilla and pineapple jam. I'm still on the lookout for perfect hurache sandals, but all I ever see are very cheaply made.

Blondiescot Wed 07-Sep-22 19:35:23

Fridge magnets - wherever we go, we collect one from that place. And sometimes spices too if we've been to a local market. Oh, and Turkish olive oil hand cream.

EkwaNimitee Wed 07-Sep-22 19:35:56

We used to caravan around France and Spain and our favourite import was wine, lots of it! Including, once, a year’s supply of my favoured sherry. Other foodie items would include duck confit, Serrano ham, turron and cheeses etc etc. Sometimes a piece of local handicraft.
These days, minus DH and the caravan and trying not to accumulate stuff, it’s little, lightweight mementos like a fridge magnet, tea towel, t-shirt or mug and possibly a local handicraft, making sure the latter is not made in China!

Deedaa Wed 07-Sep-22 19:38:30

When we were going to Italy I used to bring home a nice 1kg lump of parmesan from the market, a couple of other cheeses, probably fontina and asagio, half a dozen bags of vialone nano rice because it's practically impossible to find here, and a big bag of coffee beans from our hotel.

MawtheMerrier Wed 07-Sep-22 20:15:49

Most of the people I have spoken to in the last couple of months who have been abroad have brought a dose of Covid back with them.

Jaxjacky Wed 07-Sep-22 20:22:56

When we were 6 months here and 6 months in France for five years it was wine boxes, olive oil, mayonnaise with mustard, different salts, French supermarket clothes, including shoes, photographs, memories and a tan. We’re going back next year

timetogo2016 Wed 07-Sep-22 21:14:28

What i went with.

Grammaretto Wed 07-Sep-22 21:15:04

I have just returned from France with my present to myself: an antique, salt glazed jug. Well, old if not antique. I enjoy the flea markets.
In the past I have brought back fisherman hats and jerseys, local knitting wool, a log basket, mixing bowls, clothes.
Yes wine ofcourse but my local Lidl has good wine.

HettyBetty Wed 07-Sep-22 21:20:29

Usually something completely random and unrelated to the holiday destination.

Such as kitchen scales from Devon, a chair from Scotland and a pair of slippers from Belgium.

Yiayia4 Wed 07-Sep-22 21:25:40

From Greece lots of Greek honey as much as I can get in my case.Metaxa brandy better than a sleeping pill!

Floradora9 Wed 07-Sep-22 21:26:09

Deedaa

When we were going to Italy I used to bring home a nice 1kg lump of parmesan from the market, a couple of other cheeses, probably fontina and asagio, half a dozen bags of vialone nano rice because it's practically impossible to find here, and a big bag of coffee beans from our hotel.

Yes we took a much awaited holiday in March and DH came home and tested positive for covid.

Alioop Wed 07-Sep-22 21:37:47

Sand. Just back from hols and the cars like a sand pit. I'm still brushing it out of the dog, even my trouser turn ups have their own storage compartment of it!