Gransnet forums

Chat

Troll/s at work on Mumsnet

(171 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

grannydarkhair Tue 13-Sep-22 02:46:32

When I had a look at Mumsnet a few minutes ago, there were 50+ threads shut down because of a troll/s. I really don’t understand why anybody wants to behave in that manner, what sad lives they must lead.
I sincerely hope they don’t target Gransnet next.

Serendipity22 Wed 21-Sep-22 21:14:19

Proper funny.. just read this thread and despite the fact I must have heard/read the word troll a million times, I have never actually digested what precisley is a troll ( I had a good inclination) sooooo I read this thread and thought what is the definition of a troll? I asked Mr Google and what cane up on the screen but a long haired, plastic figurine hahahaha..

After chuckling to myself I scrolled down to read social media interpretation, ohhhhh I SERIOUSLY COULD NOT BE A*****. Sad, sad, sad lives , i ask myself, what brings forth the need to act like that ? They can't be happy and contented!!!!

confused

Doodledog Tue 20-Sep-22 16:09:53

I don’t see people who agree with one another as being in cliques. There are posters with whom I agree on a particular topic, but not on others, and those with whom I disagree fervently on the same topic but agree with on others. Just as in ‘real life’.

M0nica Mon 19-Sep-22 20:45:56

I have yet to come across any of them and I have been on GN since it started. I am certainly not part of any group of any kind and never have been.

There are groups, especially around political issues that think and act a like, but they are quite overt and up front, and put their arguments forward on threads. And I give them the credit of all being autonymous posters who do not need secret groups to bolster each other up.

I think this is all is just an extension of the conspiracy theory way of thinking that seems to have enveloped us all in recent years.

Enid101 Mon 19-Sep-22 19:20:30

Sarah74

I imagine there are numerous little groups on GN, of people who are in PM or email contact, who discuss threads, posters, trolls, etc. I also suspect that some posters within those groups are the cause of a lot of problems, but ironically they don’t see that themselves, as they’re too busy criticising other posters.

I agree with this.

Summerlove Mon 19-Sep-22 18:21:34

VintageJazz Sock-puppeting occurs everywhere.

Some of those who do it really do use their "Alt" to be so rude. An effort to keep the "Public Face" looking good.

It rarely lasts though, as many here pride themselves on noticing linguistic tics. (I am not one of them)

VioletSky Mon 19-Sep-22 11:19:13

M0nica

VioletSky I often find I do not realise how unwell I have been until after I recover.

This is so so true

BlueBelle Mon 19-Sep-22 07:40:40

Well I can happily say I ve never felt part of a gang or clique
Most times my posts are ignored anyway so I just toddle on in my own sweet way sometimes aware of trouble but more often than not completely unaware of who’s good, bad or ugly.
I enjoy the chats the laughs the moans if I didn’t I d move on
I have never got involved with MN wouldn’t be enough hours in the day because it can be quite addictive

Vintagejazz Mon 19-Sep-22 07:31:53

Galaxy

I agree it's not horrid, there are less likely to be individual arguments than on GN, and it is often very funny.

There are some very bitter and angry posters on there, but the sheer size of the site means their effect is easily diluted.

The name change function also means there isn't much cliquiness or mates ganging up. It does lead to sock puppeting though.

Vintagejazz Mon 19-Sep-22 07:26:33

Sarah74

I imagine there are numerous little groups on GN, of people who are in PM or email contact, who discuss threads, posters, trolls, etc. I also suspect that some posters within those groups are the cause of a lot of problems, but ironically they don’t see that themselves, as they’re too busy criticising other posters.

Yes I agree with this. It's quite obvious sometimes.

biglouis Mon 19-Sep-22 00:59:36

The mumsnet site seems to be down at least twice a day lately. So wondering whether that results from all the threads they have to delete.

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 21:15:07

It's a good idea to resolve to make a fresh start after apologising for past mistakes.
It's never a good idea to continue past arguments.

Let bygones be bygones as the saying goes.

?

M0nica Sun 18-Sep-22 20:44:12

VioletSky I often find I do not realise how unwell I have been until after I recover.

VioletSky Sun 18-Sep-22 18:01:02

No, not a troll, I had graves disease but didn't know. It has some quite serious impacts on your physical and mental health when your thyroid goes crazy. I got involved in arguments. It is amazing to me now how I couldn't see how poorly I was.

Anyway, explained to gransnet and all good now, been working full time for a while, levels under control. Back to my usual cheerful self

Have apologised where I should

VioletSky Sun 18-Sep-22 17:49:25

Probably, lose track sometimes

FarNorth Sun 18-Sep-22 17:43:54

Coming back with permission from GNHQ, after being banned, is not being a troll.

GinSling what point were you making?

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 17:15:40

VioletSky

GinSling

You're a previously banned poster and came back with a new name aren't you VioletSky?

I have said so on this thread

So I'm no longer banned and it's more of a suspension really

Perhaps you told us on another thread Violetsky?

No matter, you have been unbanned, if that is a word.

Kalu Sun 18-Sep-22 17:01:29

Callistemon21

nanna8

What on earth do you have to do to be banned ? Shoot someone? When I started here there was a group of people that seemed so nasty and bitchy that I was on the verge of leaving. They all disappeared so I assumed they had either all up and left together or someone had actually reported them but perhaps, in retrospect, they were actually banned.

Or perhaps came back with name changes.

The name may be changed but their style of posting doesn’t!

I also suspect the same Sarah.

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 16:09:26

nanna8

What on earth do you have to do to be banned ? Shoot someone? When I started here there was a group of people that seemed so nasty and bitchy that I was on the verge of leaving. They all disappeared so I assumed they had either all up and left together or someone had actually reported them but perhaps, in retrospect, they were actually banned.

Or perhaps came back with name changes.

Sarah74 Sun 18-Sep-22 16:04:14

VioletSky Sun 18-Sep-22 13:56:46

I'm no longer banned so I am not sure what to call it

Whatever you like I suppose

But I have been allowed back and I'm not doing anything wrong

I'm also not the only one

I'm just honest about it

nanna8 Sun 18-Sep-22 13:53:47

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 18-Sep-22 13:48:51

I thought there was quite a big difference between a suspension and a ban?

VioletSky Sun 18-Sep-22 10:25:24

GinSling

You're a previously banned poster and came back with a new name aren't you VioletSky?

I have said so on this thread

So I'm no longer banned and it's more of a suspension really

Kalu Sun 18-Sep-22 10:24:23

Lucca

Think I know where this is headed ….again.

Not taking the bait……

Kalu Sun 18-Sep-22 10:22:27

VioletSky

Agreed Fanny

Malicious gang reporting happens

I was one of many who reported a certain group of posters who ganged up to hound a certain poster, thankfully they were banned and the well respected poster is still posting.