Gransnet forums

Chat

Troll/s at work on Mumsnet

(171 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

grannydarkhair Tue 13-Sep-22 02:46:32

When I had a look at Mumsnet a few minutes ago, there were 50+ threads shut down because of a troll/s. I really don’t understand why anybody wants to behave in that manner, what sad lives they must lead.
I sincerely hope they don’t target Gransnet next.

Rainwashed Fri 16-Sep-22 13:32:23

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

icanhandthemback Fri 16-Sep-22 13:42:48

Message deleted by Gransnet as it repeated a deleted post.

BlueBelle Fri 16-Sep-22 13:45:06

NotAGran55 Fri 16-Sep-22 14:06:03

LouGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 16-Sep-22 14:17:24

Afternoon all.

We just wanted to pop our heads around the door and flag up that we've had to delete a few posts speculating about other posters and their accounts. This isn't something we allow on the boards as it just isn't in the spirit.

If you have any questions about our moderation, please do get in touch directly with us - [email protected] although it's worth bearing in mind that we'd obviously never discuss any GNer's account with other posters.

Thanks all. Peace and love. smile

Quokka Fri 16-Sep-22 15:19:54

What just happened? I was reading the post above from HQ when my screen went black and a message popped up saying BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Has this happened to anyone else or am I having a funny turn?

ixion Fri 16-Sep-22 15:38:23

The power and influence of trolls

BlueBelle Fri 16-Sep-22 15:52:01

Why s my message been removed ? I didn’t speculate, I wrote what had happened

NotAGran55 Fri 16-Sep-22 16:19:06

I didn’t speculate either, I expressed ???!

Doodledog Fri 16-Sep-22 16:22:37

Oh rats! I've been hanging about on here all day, turned my back for a minute and something's happened grin. Isn't that always the way?

JaneJudge Fri 16-Sep-22 16:28:21

Quokka

What just happened? I was reading the post above from HQ when my screen went black and a message popped up saying BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Has this happened to anyone else or am I having a funny turn?

My phone line keeps cutting off if I talk about politics or the Royal family. It's either that or my Mother is lying about putting the phone down on me

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 16-Sep-22 16:44:11

Indeed ixion.

Callistemon21 Fri 16-Sep-22 20:50:49

Quokka you may have a virus

Callistemon21 Fri 16-Sep-22 20:52:00

ixion

The power and influence of trolls

I have some of those in the attic, DD used to collect them ?
Are they dangerous?

Jaxjacky Fri 16-Sep-22 21:17:30

I used to have one stuck on the end of my pencil Callistemon, perhaps that explains my exam results.

Whiff Fri 16-Sep-22 21:34:06

Thank you I finally understand what a troll is . It's someone with a pencil up their bottom.?

welbeck Fri 16-Sep-22 21:35:03

my brother, a grown-up, previous rocker, motorbikes etc, used to collect trolls.
i asked him why. he said, it's company isn't it.
i thought they were hideous.
those pictures above reminded me. he had loads.

Callistemon21 Fri 16-Sep-22 21:36:43

They are hideous.

DD loved them when she was quite young!

ixion Fri 16-Sep-22 22:28:31

Whiff

Thank you I finally understand what a troll is . It's someone with a pencil up their bottom.?

That's the beauty of the virtual world Whiff.
You can stick pencils up their bottoms to your heart's content - and feel all the better for it!

nanna8 Sat 17-Sep-22 02:51:13

I’ve got one with ginger coloured hair on a shelf. My little bit of Norway, he’s lovely. We used to read the Billy Goats Gruff to our children and the troll under the bridge always fascinated them. Just when you least expect it- there they are.

nanna8 Sat 17-Sep-22 02:54:01

Have to say, as an aside, mumsnet sounds deeply horrid, I won’t be going there.

Doodledog Sat 17-Sep-22 07:56:40

It’s not really - it’s just different. You do get some improbable threads, but the sheer size and scale of MN means that posters are anonymous even as user names, if that makes sense. This means that people are less likely to irritate one another on a personal level so individuals don’t get targeted as they can on here.

Some of the more ‘imaginative’ threads are hilarious. One of my favourites was when someone asked how to make her home welcoming to visitors and got told to hide the tv, make the house smell of bleach and offer hot towels to guests on arrival (amongst other things - the thread ran for many pages of bonkers suggestions). It was funnier than it sounds, honestly grin.

Galaxy Sat 17-Sep-22 08:00:05

I agree it's not horrid, there are less likely to be individual arguments than on GN, and it is often very funny.

Jaxjacky Sat 17-Sep-22 08:43:56

That’s the gist of a troll Whiff.

FannyCornforth Sat 17-Sep-22 09:04:12

I agree, nanna8 it’s not really horrid at all. It’s very easy to ignore the nasty stuff, unlike here, where you have to put the effort in to avoid it.
My favourite thread was the one about ugly house plants.
It’s in Classics.
MN is a good read, whereas here is good for a chat.