Gransnet forums

Chat

The age of those flocking to see the cortege of the Queen and to the lying in state.

(205 Posts)
M0nica Wed 14-Sep-22 18:18:26

Watching the coverage of the funeral cortege of the Queen on its journey from Balmoral to Westminster Hall, the thing I have noticed is how young so many of those queueing up are. So many families with children as well as young people.

From many commentators there has been an assumption that monarchy is something we are growing out of and young people today have no interest in it.

The crowds I have seen over the last few days seem to suggest that this is wishful thinking.

Lexisgranny Thu 15-Sep-22 17:45:18

Do you know, I have never considered myself to be a Royalist or a Republican, but some of the remarks made during the last few days on Gransnet have assured me of one thing………… I am certainly not and never will be a Republican!

volver Thu 15-Sep-22 17:47:57

I'd be honestly interested as to why, Lexisgranny

Joseanne Thu 15-Sep-22 19:06:12

That's a brilliant comment about an app with appointment times Volver. I'd be up for that.

The only problems I foresee are that the volume of requests would make the app crash. Also transport around London is somewhat unreliable, so if my number 29 bus didn't come by I would be having kittens to arrive in time for my slot and be sent away to re book.

volver Thu 15-Sep-22 19:08:46

Good point about the transport Joseanne.

Joseanne Thu 15-Sep-22 19:10:10

Was it Dan Snow's idea? Clever boy.

volver Thu 15-Sep-22 19:11:28

It was.

www.channel4.com/news/queue-to-see-queens-coffin-has-become-important-says-historian

JaneJudge Thu 15-Sep-22 19:21:22

It is a very long queue

Joseanne Thu 15-Sep-22 19:22:38

? I'm navigating around the channels from here in France, so am picking up most of the good, helpful links to check out from gransnet!

M0nica Thu 15-Sep-22 19:54:37

Volver I am with Lexi. The reason is that so many of those who say they are republicans tend to to use this claim to be as personally offiensive and unpleasant as they can about the Royal family at every conceivable opportunity.

I have every respect for those who want this country to be a republic and I am willing to have reasoned discussion with them, but when their republicanism means they feel that they can have a field day being rudely objectionable, and we get that in spades on royal threads on GN. I am not talking about criticising members of the royal family, that is reasonable, but so often it is the offensive way it is done

On GN we often have people on threads reminding other people not to indulge in unpleasant personal criticism of other members. Well, that is how we should treat everyone, regardless of their place in society.

volver Thu 15-Sep-22 20:08:06

Thank you for replying M0nica.

I can honestly say that I have seen nobody being offensive and unpleasant to any member of the RF on here recently, although perhaps of course I have missed it.

I think its a bit like blasphemy; if you (general you) think your god is offended by someone saying nasty things about them, they are not much of a god. Same with the RF. If you can't stand up to criticism, stop doing things that will get you criticised. Or grow a pair.

There are people relaying things that they have read about in the press or online, but I have seen a lot more people being truly offensive to members of the RF, and considering themselves Royalists, and to me that is more unforgiveable.

I also don't think anyone should discount a system of government because they think some other people are unpleasant. That's just weird.

Sussexborn Thu 15-Sep-22 20:17:01

volver

Hitler was elected Chancellor, not Head of State. Putin was "elected" in Russia, which is hardly known as a bastion of democracy. As well as being Head of State, Trump was head of government.

Boris Johnson was elected Head of Government in our own country. Should we abandon democratic elections for Prime Minister because we got a bad'un?

Sometimes being patronising is the only valid response.

Patronising and constantly sneering at people whose life experiences have led them to different conclusions than you is something you should continue with as it’s what cost the left the last election.

Keep up the good/bad work!

M0nica Thu 15-Sep-22 20:21:27

volver I say nothing about the RF needing protecting from anything. It is just that I think that they should be treated with the same courtesy as anyone else.

Just because you can blaspheme a reliogion doesn't mean you should.

Try going back and reading some of the language used on RF threads on GN.

volver Thu 15-Sep-22 20:25:33

When people make comments based on incorrect logic, I tell them so. Some people don't like being corrected.

Also my lot won about 90% of the available seats at the last election.

See what I mean about logic?

volver Thu 15-Sep-22 20:29:59

M0nica

volver I say nothing about the RF needing protecting from anything. It is just that I think that they should be treated with the same courtesy as anyone else.

Just because you can blaspheme a reliogion doesn't mean you should.

Try going back and reading some of the language used on RF threads on GN.

Some of the language used about members of the RF by monarchists is quite choice. That's not what makes me an "anti monarchy" person though. I'm a republican because of the positive aspects of republicanism, not because some of the monarchists are nasty people.

Not being a republican because some republicans are nasty is, I'm afraid, just not a very mature position.

DaisyAnne Thu 15-Sep-22 21:03:22

If you check the last YouGov Poll, it is no surprise that younger people are in the queue.

I would guess we have more chance of re-joining the EU in our lifetime than changing to an elected Head of State.

docs.cdn.yougov.com/tzluoaf4hh/YouGov%20-%20Jubilee%20-%20Views%20of%20the%20Monarchy%20Survey%20Results.pdf

DaisyAnne Thu 15-Sep-22 21:09:56

volver

Thank you for replying M0nica.

I can honestly say that I have seen nobody being offensive and unpleasant to any member of the RF on here recently, although perhaps of course I have missed it.

I think its a bit like blasphemy; if you (general you) think your god is offended by someone saying nasty things about them, they are not much of a god. Same with the RF. If you can't stand up to criticism, stop doing things that will get you criticised. Or grow a pair.

There are people relaying things that they have read about in the press or online, but I have seen a lot more people being truly offensive to members of the RF, and considering themselves Royalists, and to me that is more unforgiveable.

I also don't think anyone should discount a system of government because they think some other people are unpleasant. That's just weird.

The problem is that you cannot see you have been both rude and offensive in that post volver.

My level of expectation on your posts has gone down so much that I would have thought little about it if you hadn't denied it's existance and then gone on the be as disparaging as you could.

volver Thu 15-Sep-22 21:15:19

DaisyAnne can you just leave me alone? Any chance of that?

If not, that's ok, just know that I won't be responding.

Patsy70 Thu 15-Sep-22 21:19:21

My daughter, her husband, my nephew and granddaughter are currently just past the Millennium Bridge approaching Westminster Hall to pay their respects and thanks to our Queen Elizabeth. I feel so very proud that they are representing our family at this most historic occasions. ??

DaisyAnne Thu 15-Sep-22 21:21:59

volver

DaisyAnne can you just leave me alone? Any chance of that?

If not, that's ok, just know that I won't be responding.

If you can't stand up to criticism, stop doing things that will get you criticised. Or grow a pair. Quote from volver Thu 15-Sep-22 20:08:06

volver Thu 15-Sep-22 21:23:14

Gosh, now I am in a predicament.

I'll just say to Patsy70, what a lovely post.

JaneJudge Thu 15-Sep-22 21:32:21

I haven't seen any offensive Republican posts, even Grany isn't offensive is she? like a dog with a bone but it's hardly offensive
and i like dogs with bones, so to me it doesn't really matter.

JaneJudge Thu 15-Sep-22 21:34:35

I am wondering if you have got any PMs though volver. I generally just block the poster as there is a function within the PM. I'm not sure if you are told they have tried to send further messages or whether they know they have been blocked grin

volver Thu 15-Sep-22 21:41:05

I've not had any PMs today Jane. But I had some earlier this week. smile

biglouis Thu 15-Sep-22 23:30:43

A woman was talking about how she organized the London queue volunteers and stewards many of whom are in the 18-25 age group. She said the call went out on thursday and they had 500 volunteers by next day. I assume that the volunteers are getting basic expenses for transport and food costs. While I would not queue myself I would feel proud of any young person in my family who did offer their services.

GrannySomerset Thu 15-Sep-22 23:39:21

That was the Scouts, Big Louis, and they are doing an amazing job as well as being a good advertisement for the movement.