Gransnet forums

Chat

The age of those flocking to see the cortege of the Queen and to the lying in state.

(205 Posts)
M0nica Wed 14-Sep-22 18:18:26

Watching the coverage of the funeral cortege of the Queen on its journey from Balmoral to Westminster Hall, the thing I have noticed is how young so many of those queueing up are. So many families with children as well as young people.

From many commentators there has been an assumption that monarchy is something we are growing out of and young people today have no interest in it.

The crowds I have seen over the last few days seem to suggest that this is wishful thinking.

Galaxy Sun 18-Sep-22 16:52:24

MN is a younger demographic and they currently have a thread going asking if it's ok to hang washing out tomorrow, it's very funny. There seems to be a good mix of views ranging from sadness to the world has gone mad. It's good to hear a range of views even on the monarchy.

effalump Wed 21-Sep-22 15:12:29

Are they the same young people that always start beaming and waving when a TV camera goes past, hoping that that shot will be the one on all the news programmes. It's another 5 minutes of fame thing for most. The older generations would have been more appreciative of what the Royal famiy did for them.

M0nica Wed 21-Sep-22 18:56:13

I did not see anyone beaming and waving when tv cameras wentnnear the queue. It included people of all ages but mainly younger people, the under 40s, but with plenty of people from other age groups as well. All looking thoughtful and generally ignoring the cameras.

I would say that 99% came because they felt some link in some way with or through the Queen, which was broen by her death.

Caleo Thu 22-Sep-22 12:04:24

I think the Royal family's PR department know well that the late Queen was regarded like a sacred icon of duty, wisdom, and stability.

Princess Diana was a slightly different sort of goddess .