Gransnet forums

Chat

COVID booster

(126 Posts)
busybeejay Mon 19-Sep-22 20:13:23

I had my COVID booster jab last Friday and it has totally wiped me out.I just want to sleep.
Anyone else had this reaction?

Sparklefizz Thu 22-Sep-22 17:39:48

Has anyone had a delayed reaction to the Moderna vax? I had mine 2 days 5 hrs ago and was congratulating myself that it was the easiest jab I'd ever had - even my arm hardly hurt - but suddenly this afternoon I don't feel very well. I've got a headache and feel wobbly and as if I am "going down with something".

I'm not mixing and the only time I've left the house in the past week was to go for this vax on Tuesday. Is it a delayed reaction or have I caught something despite being masked and sanitised, and mostly distanced from everyone except the doctor who did the vaccination.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who had had such a delayed reaction.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Sep-22 15:51:21

We were booked in to have our flu vaccine at Boots yesterday but when I ( thankfully) phoned them to check that I’d definitely booked for 2 people they said it had been cancelled and they hadn’t been able to contact me. We did have a missed call but I assumed they were just phoning to remind me. So we rebooked at another store and, when we got there they offered us covid as well so we struck lucky there. I’ve been trying to find a local covid vaccination centre for ages with no success. I don’t usually like having two vaccines at the same time but it was too good an opportunity to miss. Not had the Moderna vaccine before but I don’t usually have a reaction to anything…

karmalady Thu 22-Sep-22 15:39:43

That have had the 3 jabs and were booked in for the 4th in a couple of weeks time

karmalady Thu 22-Sep-22 15:36:17

my lovely sprightly and active neighbour came out of his house with a mask on and stood some good distance away from me, I was in my garden. He is 80 and I have never known him to be ill. He caught covid when he went to a family gathering last weekend. He is very rough indeed, says he has never felt worse and so is his OH. He is never a moaner

That made my mind up for me, I am never ill and did have the last three jabs because it was my public duty. I was not going to go for the autumn booster but covid is still very much about and now I have the appointment

volver Wed 21-Sep-22 20:57:56

"You know very well that this is not a chemical that "lasts for a few weeks" in your body"

I know no such thing because that's not true.

theconversation.com/no-covid-vaccines-dont-stay-in-your-body-for-years-169247

Other posters can decide for themselves whether, in view of your massive misrepresentation of the operation of mRNA vaccines, they want to believe any of your other assertions. Because, as you say, people must decide for themselves.

Normandygirl Wed 21-Sep-22 20:44:32

volver

I stand corrected, that is an "old" report. From April.

Here's the EMA's recommendation on the latest vaccine. From nine days ago.

www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/adapted-vaccine-targeting-ba4-ba5-omicron-variants-original-sars-cov-2-recommended-approval

Guess I'm just a gullible old physicist. But yes, if you don't want it, don't have it. Because an unproven hypothesis that a chemical that lasts for a few weeks in your body (Days? Hours?) might cause you problems in 10 years is much more compelling than a set of vaccines that have saved 20 million lives.

Volver You know very well that this is not a chemical that "lasts for a few weeks" in your body, nor is it anything like any vaccine that has gone before so comparisons with smallpox, diphtheria, polio or even the flu vaccines are asinine.
The EMA approval statement, which I had already seen, says that they are giving approval based on the old omicron/delta data and does confirm what I've already said. There is no human trial data as yet for the new booster.
You used the phrase " unproven hypothesis" well isn't that the whole point I was making, we have no proof one way or the other do we? I like to make sure what I am putting in my body has undergone rigorous, proven and reliable scrutiny but I totally understand those who feel they can just leave it up others to decide for them. FWIW I have had many vaccines in my lifetime but never, without making as sure as I can, the safety and efficacy of the product involved. There is not enough reliable data to make that judgement call on this one yet. I sincerely hope that in 10 years time it proves to be the panacea that everyone wants it to be, but that is crystal ball gazing.

Greenfinch Wed 21-Sep-22 20:37:51

Wedi I am sure we don’t need a second dose but I will hopefully go to the pharmacy when I am next in town and ask for clarification. Another strange thing is that the little card I was given had dates for 1st and 2nd doses, but helpfully neither had been filled in. I wish I had noticed at the time.

Wedi Wed 21-Sep-22 20:28:45

Greenfinch , silverlining48 , Lexisgranny ,

Thank you all for wading through my rather jumbled post , and replying .

My leaflet ( folded into quarters ) was printed in UNITED KINGDOM ( Northern Ireland ) - I live in Wiltshire . It was revised in 12:08:2022 - information is for user - section 3 says how you will be given Spikevax bivalent .

BUT from 5 onwards it gives the chemical makeup of the vaccine , how to make the dose up , store it , administer it and states that the instructions are intended for healthcare professionals only .

So , Greenfinch , if you do get to the bottom of this conundrum, and if we need another dose , I’d love to know .

Grandyma Wed 21-Sep-22 18:48:51

I had my 4th Booster + Flu vaccine last Saturday and absolutely no side effects (apart from 2 slightly sore arms for a day or two). I was given Moderna as it protects better against the variants. I was apprehensive as I’ve only ever had Pfizer before. I needn’t have worried. I would pay for the vaccine if I had to.

Sussexborn Wed 21-Sep-22 18:13:01

annsixty

I’m not blaming anything.
She tested positive too soon to have picked it up at the party.
Did she already have it when vaccinated or could it possibly be a rare occasion when the vaccine gave her Covid?

The point of the vaccination was to keep people out of ICU. It was never claimed to prevent it, just to minimise the effects.

We went in today planning to have the vaccination but didn’t look at the small print. The three places we tried were only taking walk ins on Mondays!

silverlining48 Wed 21-Sep-22 17:54:58

They seem to be revising this info very frequently, surely thats unusual.

Athrawes Wed 21-Sep-22 17:47:12

I had a Moderna booster jab on Sunday at a walk in. My arm ached when I raised it but it didn't stop me doing anything and all was well by Monday evening.
I too had a folded sheet of information which initially I thought was purely for the staff and not the recipients - until I read the leaflet to the end. Weird!
I now have the flu vaccination to look forward to next week

Greenfinch Wed 21-Sep-22 17:14:51

Mine was updated on 8/9/22 and is entitled Patient information for the user( spikevax ). I live in Berkshire. Strange how mine is different.

silverlining48 Wed 21-Sep-22 16:58:16

Just spotted that my info leaflet was last revised on 12/8/22, so just last month.

silverlining48 Wed 21-Sep-22 16:56:03

My dh's info leaflet is the same as Wedi and Lexi 's.
Met a friend today who had a Moderna vaccine in spring without problem. Though may not have been the spikevax one we are talking about here.

Luckygirl3 Wed 21-Sep-22 16:37:31

I am due my double whammy on Saturday.

Lexisgranny Wed 21-Sep-22 16:30:07

Wedi my leaflet seems to be the same as yours. It was printed on a large A3 sheet that was folded up into 4 sections, 1 and 3 at the top, 2 and 3 at the bottom, overleaf was details for health care professionals. We live in Wales.

Greenfinch Wed 21-Sep-22 16:18:26

Hi Wedi yes my leaflet is different from yours and can be found on the spikevax NHS website. I will have to enquire about this second dose as it wasn’t mentioned at all. I must say I find it all very confusing. Thanks for following it up anyway.

Wedi Wed 21-Sep-22 14:03:15

Hi Greenfinch

I give up ??- I’ll shut up now . ??

Wedi Wed 21-Sep-22 14:00:20

Wedi

Hi Greenfinch ,

“Curiouser and curiouser” , said Alice .

I wonder if we had different leaflets ? Different vaccines ?

Above , left , is section 3 from my Spikevax leaflet :

Sorry , Greenfinch . I tried to add a photo file of section 3 from my Spikevax leaflet . Looked fine in preview - but obviously not .

Anyway , it just mentioned that a booster dose will be given as a single 0.5 mL injection . Should be a least 3 months after second dose or booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine .
Doctor or nurse will inject vaccine into muscle of upper arm .
You will be watched over for at least 15 mins for signs of allergic reaction .
If you have any further questions , ask your doctor .

Leaflet was entitled : Spikevax bivalent Original/Omicron

Wedi Wed 21-Sep-22 13:45:05

Hi Greenfinch ,

“Curiouser and curiouser” , said Alice .

I wonder if we had different leaflets ? Different vaccines ?

Above , left , is section 3 from my Spikevax leaflet :

volver Wed 21-Sep-22 10:55:27

I stand corrected, that is an "old" report. From April.

Here's the EMA's recommendation on the latest vaccine. From nine days ago.

www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/adapted-vaccine-targeting-ba4-ba5-omicron-variants-original-sars-cov-2-recommended-approval

Guess I'm just a gullible old physicist. But yes, if you don't want it, don't have it. Because an unproven hypothesis that a chemical that lasts for a few weeks in your body (Days? Hours?) might cause you problems in 10 years is much more compelling than a set of vaccines that have saved 20 million lives.

Normandygirl Wed 21-Sep-22 10:00:52

volver

Normandygirl

Lathyrus

Oh America.

All the Covid vaccines in the Uk have been subject to human trials. Important to make it clear which country you’re teferring to, don’t you think.

Results and statistics freely available on UK Government websites.

"All the Covid vaccines in the Uk have been subject to human trials."

Do you seriously think that the UK is getting different vaccines to the rest of the world?
The approval for the bivalent vaccines were given based only on trials on mice, not humans.

www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/qa-spikevax-covid-19-vaccine-mrna

This is the FDA report on Spikevax, including the details of and results from the human trials. Humans, not mice.

Please stop scaremongering with inaccurate information.

That analysis is an old one based on the findings of the original bivalent booster containing the beta and omicron variants which are no longer circulating. The FDA then instructed manufacturers to make a booster to include the Ba.4 and Ba.5 variants. The updated booster has only been tested on animals, not people. There is no clinical data specifically for the for the Ba.4/Ba.5 boosters in humans yet. It is hoped that will be available by the end of the year. Facts are not "scaremongering"

annodomini Wed 21-Sep-22 09:55:26

I'm having my booster this morning. I shouldn't have read this thread because now I am feeling slightly apprehensive. I haven't had a reaction in the past and had none from the flu vax I had last week. Now fingers crossed!

henetha Wed 21-Sep-22 09:42:12

I had my booster 9 days ago, - Moderna, - and have had no adverse reaction at all, just like the previous jabs.
I feel certain that it is better to have the jab rather than having Covid, and have always had whatever vaccines have been offered, all my life.