Gransnet forums

Chat

Spending. Treating yourself, better late than never

(106 Posts)
karmalady Thu 22-Sep-22 17:01:05

I was typical of many, cut my cloth according to the money we had, bearing in mind mortgage and bringing up three children through uni.

I started to buy what I wanted a few years ago, the impetus was after my husband died

DerbyshireLass Tue 27-Sep-22 15:37:12

I definitely believe in treating myself. As my husband used to say, "we all need some fripperies in our lives".

I was brought up with nothing and wanted everything, ?. I realised no one was going to hand me them on a plate So I worked my socks off and learned how to be frugal in some areas so I could splurge on the things I lusted after.

Champagne tastes and a lemonade budget sums me up. ?

Luckily I love vintage so I am a charity shop queen. Over the years I have developed quite an eye and have picked up some amazing bargains. Just today I bought a beautiful 38 piece China dinner service for £9. A pretty brooch caught my eye, 50p. Got it home and realised that the stones are diamonds. Ok only tiny ones, but hey diamonds are diamonds right and on one will know if I don't tell them ?.

I have a wardrobe full of beautiful clothes, mostly preloved or vintage, lovely leather handbags picked up for next to nothing and so on. I do most of my own beauty treatments, facials, manicures etc.

I Splurge on holidays, massages, good food and a warm home.

My motto is.......

Life is short, take the trip, buy the shoes, eat the cake. Just don't bankrupt yourself in the process.??. .

karmalady Tue 27-Sep-22 15:15:23

seabreeze, have you tried bon marche jeans. They are nice and wear very well, with different leg lengths

Seabreeze Tue 27-Sep-22 14:11:34

Just had a wonderful massage. It was a special offer ! I do find it difficult to spend money on myself! Can’t find a decent pair of much needed jeans any where. They all have too much viscose or elastin in them and crease like mad. I’m only a 27” leg which makes it Even harder.

karmalady Tue 27-Sep-22 12:14:16

I have done it again and why not. I have lost weight, deliberately and it has taken me a very long time. I have a friend coming soon for lunch and put/ tried on, on a lovely pair of lands end trousers, petite and medium, bearing in mind that I used to be XXL. They fit beautifully and so I am going to enjoy my new shape and medium it is

I have been back on lands end after a years abscence, I have bought more medium trousers, leggings and a down waterproof coat with waist definition, hood with fur trim and thigh long. I already have a long coat. It addedup to a fair bit but tomorrow I am going through all my trousers and unworn leggings over a M and will be donating

I will absolutely not be wearing wrinkly leggings or baggy pants just because

Witzend Tue 27-Sep-22 03:07:24

HousePlantQueen

Lovely uplifting thread. A question; do you have to iron linen bed linen? Could I go for wrinkled, comfy look? Bit like the rest of me grin

We recently stayed with my sister in the US who’s treated herself to linen bed linen. She never irons anything and it honestly looked absolutely fine. It was a patterned duvet cover though, and IMO patterns are much more forgiving.

MaggsMcG Tue 27-Sep-22 00:01:58

I bought a newer car. And I'm going on a cruise. I also gave some cash to my children and grandchildren last Christmas.

Fleurpepper Mon 26-Sep-22 20:49:44

Whitewavemark2

My luxury treat is cashmere and silk vests?. Italian.

Patra in the UK is very good too.

oodles Mon 26-Sep-22 20:48:36

a couple of years ago I got a lovely wool duvet, a double one just for me. Sheepsking boots and slippers help keep me cosy too. I'm retiring soon and am treating myself to some UK breaks.
I don't see the point of a new [second hand] car while old car still gets through the MOT, but I do like the sound of an electric bike
Am spending money on the garden because I want to be able to sit in it next year and just potter around in it, I might actually get some gardening help to help me get on top of it

giulia Mon 26-Sep-22 16:10:54

Whitewavemark2

If you like Italian cashmere, look up Maison Cashmere (it sounds French but it is a small firm in northern Italy).

Much cheaper than buying cashmere in a shop as they make to order only. No intermediaries. Everything from gloves to ponchos. The wool they use is either Italian or Scottish.

I treated myelf to a poncho last year, feeling very guilty. Lovely and warm and so light! They will even make the article you choose with longer/shorter sleeves or hemlength.

karmalady Mon 26-Sep-22 15:58:57

HousePlantQueen

Lovely uplifting thread. A question; do you have to iron linen bed linen? Could I go for wrinkled, comfy look? Bit like the rest of me grin

oh gosh I never iron proper linen bedding. I absolutely love the crumpled look and I love the subtle layers of eg pink with cream or magnus grey with natural. The bed looks so cosy and it is very inviting

Linen gets softer with washing btw. The first wash after buying, I thought whoops it is a little stiff but it soon softened when I lay on it and now it is soft after washing. It actually dried quickly in the wind this morning, even the fitted sheet which easily covers my deep mattress. If I could turn the clock back then I would have had linen for everyone in my family, I would only have had to buy it once

Abitbarmy Mon 26-Sep-22 14:15:54

Oopsadaisy1 Houseplantqueen. I bought some lovely bed linen from Soak and Sleep, always when there’s an offer on. I don’t iron it, just fold it neatly when dry. I’m known for ironing almost everything but I think it looks fine slightly crumpled.

HousePlantQueen Mon 26-Sep-22 13:35:12

karmalady Mon 26-Sep-22 13:02:04

Gabrielle, I never went mad when my husband was alive but I actively encouraged him to get the bike he really wanted, the scrollsaw, the tools. He would never have stopped me getting stuff for myself but at the back of my mind was always the `what if` we needed care. I held the financial reins

Then when he died it hit me, saving for what! That is when I gave goodly sums to the children and to the dgc, which they don`t know about. Charities too and too much tbh

I went back on an even keel and eventually moved. My house is lovely, new build and economical to run, so either I save or I let the reins loose a bit and spend more on me than I used to

adding to the list and bought last year

2 big luscious British down pillows and 2 prime silk pillowcases

effalump Mon 26-Sep-22 10:47:04

This will sound totally indulgent but if I suddenly came into a decent amount of money I would buy myself a Native Indian flute and a Handpan and then play these (not at the same time grin) to lull me into a kind of meditation. I desperately need to switch off from the world at the moment.

Gabrielle56 Mon 26-Sep-22 10:18:30

I have a friend who appears to have gone troppo with the improvements to property, holidays etc since her DH passed on!? She's had lots of work done on her home, new kitchen , decorating ,new fence etc, and she does appear more cheerful , I know DH was ill quite a while before d day but still,,- makes me wonder if our DH have a damping effect on our true personalities? I know I "curb it" a bit when he's around, and he makes me feel a teensy bit guilty spending. Although he's generous, he's also fighting his desire to be Silas mariner too. Like his pa who has 1000s literally sitting doing nothing in bank whilst he struggled without central heating, decent car and anything else I enjoy in twilight years! I agree to having what I want , without bankruptcy!!

karmalady Mon 26-Sep-22 10:08:24

snowberryZ

Oopsadaisy1

PS and it’s all thanks to this thread!

Where do people buy their linen bedding from?

www.secretlinenstore.com/

beautiful quality. First I bought blush pink and cream, simply gorgeous and later I also bought shades of naturals/browns for winter

Wait for sale prices

Auntieflo Mon 26-Sep-22 09:38:54

I am looking to buy an electrical item.
It is out of stock everywhere!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Sep-22 09:19:42

Franbern Mon 26-Sep-22 09:16:05

So, I went to our local 'Foodfest' on Saturday and treated myself to twenty quids worth of cheese (including a gift one for when I visit my eldest daughter on her birthday). Lovely having a wonderful mixed cheeseboard, but this did feel every so extravagent.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 26-Sep-22 07:54:27

I’ve googled ‘Linen Bedding’ there are quite a few with good reviews, but you will get Cotton Bedding adverts too, so you will have to sift through them.

snowberryZ Sun 25-Sep-22 17:53:32

Oopsadaisy1

Where do people buy their linen bedding from?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 25-Sep-22 13:30:15

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 25-Sep-22 13:29:58

I’m going to buy some linen bedding, I’ve wanted it for years, but due to paying for GCs schooling and now their University expenses, plus MissOops knee op in 3 weeks time, I couldn’t justify the expense, however MrOops is eying up another sports car and I thought well, why not.

As soon as we get home from our holiday I’m putting the order in. I have a 2 days holiday left and I’m window shopping online to see what else I ‘need’.

kittylester Sun 25-Sep-22 13:21:36

Saggi

My husband was always careful what I spent MY money on …..he on other hand spent freely of both our disposable incomes, on what he needed….. mine was always a ‘want’ apparently. After 50 years of marriage and the last 26 spent as nurse/carer/full-time earner/gardener/housekeeper/ chief cook -and-bottle washer….. he’s had to go into a care home …after my second stroke last year! He has finially been diagnosed with vascular dementia AND Alzheimer’s Disease! I’m now free from the money control….or so I though …..but,
am paying so much for his stay there, that I’ll be lucky to eat 7 days a week. But I would not give up that feeling of freedom for even my favourite window shopping ….lovely winter boots!

saggi, if you haven't already, please contact CAB or AgeUk for benefits/financial advice. There is something wrong when you can't afford to eat.

karmalady Sun 25-Sep-22 12:50:35

I was mindful of this threadwhen I went waitrose shopping this morning, it is a 30 mile round trip but the scenery is uplifting

I did buy some treats ie cherries and some yummy small quiches and poached salmon, their own 90% chocolate. I walked past the croissants but quite honestly never batted an eyelid when loading the treats into my cart. Proud really that I don`t look at cakes as a treat and don`t buy them

Now I am home and have had my lunch, I have again been buying, only the 100% dark chocolate that I love and is so good for me. In bulk, to save the postage wink