Gransnet forums

Chat

Spending. Treating yourself, better late than never

(105 Posts)
karmalady Thu 22-Sep-22 17:01:05

I was typical of many, cut my cloth according to the money we had, bearing in mind mortgage and bringing up three children through uni.

I started to buy what I wanted a few years ago, the impetus was after my husband died

BlushingSheep Thu 22-Sep-22 17:07:03

What's your favourite gift to yourself, would you say?

karmalady Thu 22-Sep-22 17:10:04

I raided the savings and gave each AC some cash for improving their homes and I bought premium bonds for each grandchild. That was me done with giving money away, anything else will be after my passing. Better to give those other sums early, when they need it most though

Then I decided that I would not hesitate to spend savings on me and my hobbies and comfort, as long as I am within my savings comfort zone, for my old age

Linen bedding for starters, real nice expensive and very pretty colours. I wish I had bought them donkeys years ago

A new overlocker

A new bicycle

A brand new sat nav installation for my car

It is actually quite difficult to think of things to buy for myself at my stage of life, apart from good chocolate

BlushingSheep Thu 22-Sep-22 17:12:40

Oh, a new bicycle's always nice to have.
I'm not fit enough to go cycling at the moment, but it's on the list.

I'm a sucker for a nice, proper, handbag. Unfortunately, I can only window shop!

CraftyGranny Thu 22-Sep-22 17:22:47

I know what you mean Karmalady. I always felt guilty spending money on myself when the family were young and we were struggling, but it seemed to go on even after they had all fled the nest!
Today, my Sister and I treated ourselves to a facial and chemical peel. First ever 'beauty' treatment I have ever had, apart from the hairdressers. We are both in our 70's and I am still feeling guilty, not as guilty mind you, I have booked again for next month!
My skin feels lovely.

crazyH Thu 22-Sep-22 17:24:11

Like karmalady I give my children home improvement money regularly. Now is when they need it, not after I’ve gone.

I love handbags too - might treat myself to an expensive branded one.

Kim19 Thu 22-Sep-22 17:35:47

I'm with you, karmalady. Well done. Happily both of my children are well established and financially secure. My indulgence is a bit of fine dining. Love eating out. The transition was a slow and difficult one.

Blondiescot Thu 22-Sep-22 17:49:22

I just can't bring myself to spend money on myself. Never have done. I can always think of more important things that it should be spent on.

Witzend Thu 22-Sep-22 17:50:33

BlushingSheep

Mine was a prehistoric tortoise - aka Spike O’Saurus - cast in bronze, found at a little metal worker’s shop in France two years running - it was only the second time that I weakened enough to think ‘sod it’ about the price tag. I have a feeling that the owner didn’t really want to part with him, but she evidently hadn’t reckoned on a mad Anglaise being daft enough.

Here he is - I dare say some of you will think I was bonkers.

CraftyGranny Thu 22-Sep-22 18:28:25

He/she is lovely Witzend. No, you're not bonkers!

Charleygirl5 Thu 22-Sep-22 18:55:13

I really push the boat out and buy myself a half-price paperback on eBay or Amazon occasionally!!

I do not have any relatives so it is money taken from my savings for my care home!

Abitbarmy Thu 22-Sep-22 19:13:26

I started receiving my state pension in June and swore I’d spend some on myself with a treat each month. I’m lucky to be not poor, but I’m definitely not rich either but don’t spend much on a normal month. However I do struggle to spend it when I know my son and his growing family need it more than me. It’s difficult after a lifetime of being careful to be a bit frivolous!

GrannySomerset Thu 22-Sep-22 19:49:01

My pleasure is giving DGD1 a modest monthly allowance while she is at university to allow for some fun occasionally. Will do the same for the other two in due course, because I know what a difference it would have made when I was a young adult.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Sep-22 20:23:31

I purchased a brand new sports car for myself with money my mum left me a few years ago.

I smile and remember her whenever I drive it, and it’s named after her.

I felt so guilty at first but the AC and DH said go for it.

Skydancer Thu 22-Sep-22 20:35:56

Most people on here were probably brought up to be careful and still are. However it’s so pleasurable to be able to give money to AC and even GC. I prefer giving money away to spending it on myself. My indulgences are wine, sherry and anything for my garden.

sodapop Thu 22-Sep-22 20:56:47

Books, books and more books. Treat the family and have some holidays. That's me sorted.

Redhead56 Thu 22-Sep-22 20:57:56

I spend most of my private pension on my family towards things they need. Uniforms clothes shoes etc and yearly subscriptions for zoos National trust etc. To help them out and save their money especially now with rising costs.
I get my state pension this month it's more money for them. We spend money on our home updating it but want for nothing ourselves. Running our business was very hard work but it has given us rewards of which we are grateful.

midgey Thu 22-Sep-22 21:21:05

I think my treat is going to be a set of tyres!

cornergran Thu 22-Sep-22 21:56:01

Mr C persuaded me to treat myself to a pair of ankle boots of a type (mixed, mad colours) that I have wanted for years and not bought because they aren’t ‘sensible’. I love them but feel very, very guilty. Old habits die hard around here.

JaneJudge Thu 22-Sep-22 22:06:21

karmalady, your list would be mine grin

but after not working for a while years, after my first pay packet I bought myself some beautiful slippers! and some beautiful noa noa laced trimmed vests...

Deedaa Thu 22-Sep-22 23:24:52

It was my husband dying that made me realise I wasn't going to be here for ever and, if I wanted some nice things, I should get them now. Lots of books and some clothes mainly. Having lived in Southall as a child I've always been a fan of Martin Brothers pottery. There is no way I could afford one of their grotesque birds but I did treat myself to a fruit bowl, damaged but very well restored, and a lovely Arts and Crafts grape vine decoration.

BlushingSheep Thu 22-Sep-22 23:57:46

Witzend

BlushingSheep

Mine was a prehistoric tortoise - aka Spike O’Saurus - cast in bronze, found at a little metal worker’s shop in France two years running - it was only the second time that I weakened enough to think ‘sod it’ about the price tag. I have a feeling that the owner didn’t really want to part with him, but she evidently hadn’t reckoned on a mad Anglaise being daft enough.

Here he is - I dare say some of you will think I was bonkers.

Well, he's just lovely!

I do think that if you can afford it when something speaks to you, you should buy it.

Shelflife Fri 23-Sep-22 00:11:59

I love the pre historic tortoise!! Well done you - enjoy him !

BigBertha1 Fri 23-Sep-22 07:47:48

We have just treated ourselves to a new smart TV and have had it wall mounted with all the wires nearly stored behind it.

Luckygirl3 Fri 23-Sep-22 09:16:37

Big holiday for all the family (14 of us) - treated them to a week in a wonderful country house holiday in Provence - cost-a-load! But worth it as a one-off.