Gransnet forums

Chat

Dresser

(32 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Thu 22-Sep-22 18:13:03

I don't know why but I have the urge to buy a dresser. I want one that is old and is preferably already upcycled. I just love the craftsmanship of older furniture, not that I have any yet. I have a sideboard from Wayfair that is cheap and nasty and I hate it with a passion! Anyone know where this type of furniture can be sourced?

AreWeThereYet Fri 23-Sep-22 15:37:51

Grannyrebel7 I bought two very solid chests of drawers for the bedroom from a BHF furniture shop for about £40 a few years ago, so they may be worth a visit. I stripped them down, took the legs off and restained them.

Sadly most of what they sell in their shops these days is quite modern and not very solid, and a lot of the good stuff is sold online so it might be worth taking a look at their website.

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Sep-22 15:38:23

Just remembered that my neighbour many years ago had a dresser that had a space for hot coals in it! It was designed for a fancy dining room. She had been a maid in a great house and was gifted it at some point. It was totally incongruous in her tiny cottage but she really loved it.

TwiceAsNice Fri 23-Sep-22 15:49:49

If you would like a new one I can recommend oak furniture land. I have a lovely dresser from them with two shelves two cupboards and assorted small drawers which are so useful. They do them in different widths and slightly different colours of oak or oak and cream/grey. Lovely quality and good service. Not super cheap but not hugely expensive either, I feel it was good value for money.

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Sep-22 16:21:48

I have just seen a big one on my local freecycle - it's repro in this case but worth a look.
Also Gumtree.

CanadianGran Fri 23-Sep-22 18:07:37

Thanks for the furniture education - it makes sense now.

We would call these a china cabinet, and very rarely would you find one with open shelves, here they all have glass door on top. I had a look around our on-line furniture shops and it seems the trend now is side-board or buffet tables with no shelves or cupboards on top.

Grannyrebel, if you end up finding one and refurbishing it, please post again with an update!

Look for used furniture shops in your nearby larger town or city. I sourced a chest of drawers for my daughter when she was just in her first apartment from a used store. They had some junk, but also some good quality older furniture.

M0nica Fri 23-Sep-22 19:12:29

Both our house and both AC's houses are furnished almost entirely with furniture that can, dependig on the item, be described as refurbished junk. second hand or antique.

DGD is following in the family line, she has redorated and repainted the furniture in her bedroom several times and is into vintage clothes as well. She is now 15, which if DD is anything to go b,y means that sometime in the next year she will go out and buy her first piece of secondhand furniture.