Gransnet forums

Chat

What the....oh?!

(152 Posts)
Ali08 Sun 25-Sep-22 19:15:41

As I scroll through various chats in here, names pop up.
One in particular always gets me going, although they are not at fault.
However, every time I see 'HowVeryDareYou' my thoughts go something like this, "What? Now what the hell have I done....oh, nothing, I'm on Gransnet! I'm ok. No problem. All's good, I'm fine. I've done nothing wrong!"
Until a few minutes later and the moniker pops up again...lol.

Do any of you have similar reactions to any names in here?

Blossoming Mon 26-Sep-22 20:56:13

I can’t help seeing Taichinan as a Gaelic place name, even though I know she’s a Nan who does Tai Chi grin

Prentice Mon 26-Sep-22 20:57:24

It is so nice to hear the reasons for the choice of user name, let us hear some more smile

NannaGrandad Mon 26-Sep-22 21:52:13

Loving all these posts ?
My user name was simply because I ran out of ideas after I’d tried about a dozen different ones.

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 22:11:03

Blossoming

I can’t help seeing Taichinan as a Gaelic place name, even though I know she’s a Nan who does Tai Chi grin

Oh!
I thought it was Gaelic too ?

GreenGran78 Tue 27-Sep-22 11:11:32

I wish I'd spent a bit more time on thinking up a clever/amusing name. Greengran, because I did a lot of gardening (not so much now) and enjoy the countryside. I had to add a number, and unthinkingly put my age. Of course, it was soon out of date.
As my main activity is choral singing, which I've been doing for 75 years, maybe I should change my name to Singalonga.

Ali08 Wed 28-Sep-22 14:03:34

HowVeryDareYou

Ali08 grin

??
At least you see the funny side!

To others asking, it was meant as a lighthearted chat!

Granny23, I thought you had 23 DGC, or DC & DGC.

Ali08 Wed 28-Sep-22 14:06:21

Mine came from my name and the year I first became a grandma. Likewise with others, I had to scroll through so many names before I found one that was 'me'!

Ali08 Wed 28-Sep-22 14:26:04

Prentice makes me think of the lovely Emily Prentiss (yup, different spelling) in Criminal Minds.
Calistemon21, Casdon & Urmonstongran I assumed were after place names. Although Calistemon also has a goddess-ring to it, like Osiris etc!
BlueBelle brings such beautiful memories back for me, as we had a bluebell wood just across from our first house and we loved to play in it!
Some make me laugh out loud, others perplex me. And some have me wondering - like email addresses - is it said this way or that?
But, all-in-all, I find the names very interesting!
Hugs to you all, whichever way you took my post, for replying. I hope everyone is well and having a good week!! xx

Casdon Wed 28-Sep-22 14:47:33

I’m named after Casdon the toy manufacturers Ali08, my children both had Casdon toy Dysons, and got hours and hours of pleasure whizzing round pretending to clean - I decided to have a name that reminded me of that, and Dyson didn’t sound right somehow!

farview Wed 28-Sep-22 14:55:35

My user name...because from my house in Bolton...I can see as far as Wales...Merseyside..Jodrell bank...

Luckylegs Wed 28-Sep-22 14:56:55

This was my nickname at school because I had such thin legs. “Lucky they don’t snap”! Cruel but it stuck.

GrammaH Wed 28-Sep-22 16:56:46

Mine is so incredibly boring compared to others who obviously spent time thinking of something witty & amusing. I'm known to the GC as Gramma & my name begins with H. . But you all guessed that anyway!

Blossoming Wed 28-Sep-22 17:52:44

A much loved friend used to call me Blossom, but that was already taken. So I’m blossoming smile

Secondwind Mon 03-Oct-22 03:49:07

Mine is because I left Gransnet after I felt uncomfortable on one of the other forums. I wanted to rejoin after a time, hence the name!

lemsip Mon 03-Oct-22 10:31:53

I am using my name at the moment.

Mollygo Mon 03-Oct-22 10:38:49

Sorry to hear you need Lemsip, lemsip. Hope you feel better soon.

kittylester Mon 03-Oct-22 11:33:19

Mine is a childhood nickname and where I live (ish)

I didn't have a big hit single in the dark ages - I thought that was Ketty Lester!

lemsip Mon 03-Oct-22 12:07:20

Thanks Mollygo

Ali08 Mon 03-Oct-22 13:39:28

Theoddbird

Mine is because many think I am odd...hahaha

I love your chosen name!

There are some brilliant names in here but occasionally, as with email addresses, I have to take time to read & re-read some to try to make out exactly what they are! ?

lizzypopbottle Fri 07-Oct-22 10:25:16

Haven't seen Marydoll for a while. Hope you're OK, Marydoll? The name reminds me of Rab C Nesbitt, played by Gregor Fisher. His long suffering other half was Marydoll... Was that your inspiration, Marydoll?

biglouis Sat 08-Oct-22 01:00:42

I used to have a large tortoise called Biglouis who used to climb into the kitchen cupboards and push the dishes out! He was a right trouble maker.

FannyCornforth Sat 08-Oct-22 05:19:32

lizzypopbottle Marydoll posts most days on the Good Morning thread.
I believe that it was her nickname at the school where she taught, and yes, from Rab C.

One of my favourites is Nan the Wiser
I also love BarmeyOldBat and DaftBag smile

FannyCornforth Sat 08-Oct-22 05:28:31

Callistemon I do indeed have long auburn hair, but it’s nowhere near as abundant as my namesake’s.

I choose it because I always really liked the user names on Mumsnet that were ‘real’ names, BertrandRussell was a particular favourite (she was a woman).

I wanted something personal, and art history has always been my ‘thing’, the PRB especially with its connections to Brum and the Art Gallery there.
I also wanted something memorable - so Fanny it was!

Esspee Sat 08-Oct-22 07:45:15

I have always regretted my complete lack of imagination.

BlueBelle Sat 08-Oct-22 08:04:53

Me too Espee and like someone upthread commented I literally only caught on a couple of days ago to Hithere being Hi there I had always pronounced it in my head as Hither
I wish I had used my name that I have on another forum poppylonglegs but it never occurred to me In my head different forum, different name, I m such a simple gal