Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone still thinking of voting tory at the next General Election?

(383 Posts)
MaizieD Wed 28-Sep-22 16:14:37

Just that, really.

I'm curious to know if crashing the economy has influenced anyone's thinking...

Dickens Mon 03-Oct-22 23:20:27

StoneofDestiny

A delegate going into the Tory Conference when asked about the U-Turn = "You should always stick with the policy you announced, regardless"

Sounded like the thinking that brought about the slaughter at The Somme

... yes, stick with the policy, and let someone else pick up the pieces.

If this fool delegate was about to lose his home because he couldn't keep up with his mortgage repayments, or live in pain because he couldn't afford private health treatment and had to wait his turn in the NHS queue, I bet he wouldn't be so casually indifferent.

Most normal human beings embarking on a course of action which begins to unravel and proves to have been a mistake, change tack.

These rabid right-wingers are a really loathsome bunch.

StoneofDestiny Mon 03-Oct-22 22:43:46

Sums it up

DaisyAnne Mon 03-Oct-22 21:43:29

You say above that "I'm not trying to learn anything." But previously you said, "I want to understand what motivates people because that's how my mind works."

Both those cannot be right, and you really can't jump from one to the other and expect other posters to second guess which is correct at any one moment.

You say "If you don't like that, too bad." and that replying to you is "very weird. Really, really weird and just a bit sinister."

Why. This is a forum, and I am having a conversation. You reply, I reply. What is weird about that? You can be rude and insulting by I try to ignore that and reply to the post. Just who is acting strangely?

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 20:43:05

poeple people

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 20:42:35

I was going to ignore you but I'm finding it impossible. My weakness.

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind.

I'm not trying to learn anything.

I'm not trying to practice making sponge cake, or any other imaginary motivation that you might think up.

I'm telling poeple what I'm thinking.

At the moment, I thinking you need to stop trying to harass me and leave me alone, because its very weird. Really, really weird and just a bit sinister.

DaisyAnne Mon 03-Oct-22 20:35:01

volver

Doesn't stop the facts being right though.

And if one's purpose is to demonstrate to other people who trust facts more than sentiment that you have a grasp of the situation, then spouting facts and their consequences is quite rewarding. smile

Which "fact" were you saying was wrong? I replied to a post of yours. I can't see anything in it about a fact being wrong.

When you "spout facts and their consequences" does this help you learn what you were hoping to learn?

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 20:08:34

Doesn't stop the facts being right though.

And if one's purpose is to demonstrate to other people who trust facts more than sentiment that you have a grasp of the situation, then spouting facts and their consequences is quite rewarding. smile

M0nica Mon 03-Oct-22 20:02:50

Research has shown that the more you argue with people to try and change their mind, the more tightly they stick with their original opinion.
research.com/education/why-facts-dont-change-our-mind

DaisyAnne Mon 03-Oct-22 18:52:34

Volver, I haven't been on GN all day. What is weird about replying to one of the most recent posts, for heaven's sake?

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 18:37:10

DaisyAnne

Always angry "volver". You never stop to think someone might be telling you what motivates them - which you angrily reject.

I was trying to help but you still come back in anger.

Leave me alone.

Its getting weird.

DaisyAnne Mon 03-Oct-22 18:36:35

That's why I think we will hear nothing of PR from Starmer, Varian. The right-wing press would poison the idea.

varian Mon 03-Oct-22 18:31:12

Do not underestimate the power of the right-wing press.

Far too many susceptible voters read The Daily Mail, The Sun, The Telegraph, The Times and The Daily Express. - all owned and controlled by billionaires who are either foreigners or tax dodgers or both.

DaisyAnne Mon 03-Oct-22 18:31:10

Always angry "volver". You never stop to think someone might be telling you what motivates them - which you angrily reject.

I was trying to help but you still come back in anger.

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 17:09:41

I can understand or not understand what I like and my Buddhist credentials are a bit lacking right now, so my acceptance levels are pretty low.

Believe what you like, but if something is factually wrong, expect to be told so.

Why do you always think I want to change people's minds? I want to understand what motivates people because that's how my mind works. If you don't like that, too bad.

DaisyAnne Mon 03-Oct-22 16:55:16

volver

There's something I definitely don't understand.

We've had a government in power for 12 years who have completely undermined the welfare state, made us all poorer and in the last 10 days alone have completely trashed our economy and thrown even more people on the scrap heap.

But people still say they will vote for them because the other side hate us and might stop my children getting on the housing ladder.

the Conservatives, the party of freedom and independence?

No - the Conservatives, the party of poverty and misery. What blinkers.

It's not about understanding though, is it. It's about accepting that this is what they believe. You can argue, but if your fundamental premise is not their fundamental premise, and you argue from yours you will not change people's minds.

I think that is why you get so frustrated with people.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 03-Oct-22 16:53:24

Truss!

DaisyAnne Mon 03-Oct-22 16:51:08

Or Truss?

DaisyAnne Mon 03-Oct-22 16:50:43

Germanshepherdsmum

She’ll be long gone.

Do you mean Lilyflower GSM?

DaisyAnne Mon 03-Oct-22 16:50:05

Labour and the Lib Dem’s both favour asset taxes, specifically a mansion tax. If you own a property worth £500,000 and it’s taxed at one per cent you’d pay five grand a year. There’s nothing to say it would only be one per cent.
Lilyflower Sat 01-Oct-22 22:46:16

You would have to explain what you, personally, mean by 'asset taxes' for anyone to comment on that generalisation.

Neither Labour nor the Lib Dems favour mansion tax. The subject was raised, looked at, and dismissed.

Yes, Labour favours the reassessment and revaluation of the Council Tax System. Why don't you? It is long overdue. The IFS are in favour too.

Why go to the extreme of talking about "hatred"? You are putting Labour in a box and stigmatising those who are part of it with very dubious comments - what would you call that?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 03-Oct-22 15:13:08

She’ll be long gone.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 03-Oct-22 15:05:49

Corbyn gave Johnson his huge majority and Truss will give Starmer his victory.

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 14:26:32

StoneofDestiny

I am still waiting on his take on Tuss saying she will ignore the democratically elected leader of Scotland. Like her or not, she is the choi e of the Scottish people, unlike Truss (or any other Tory for that matter).

Aw, bless his cotton socks.. ?

twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/1576904412760604673

StoneofDestiny Mon 03-Oct-22 13:23:05

Two things on Radio 4 today - 1) an interview with the multi millionaire Mr Mullins who sold his Pimlico Plumbers' company for £145 million. Asked what he planned to do with his tax windfall after the Tory announcement - "possibly buy another Bentley, that would benefit the car industry"

Meanwhile being able to shop for supermarket essentials, to get the mortgage on the house you need to live in and to furnish it won't help the economy?

2) A delegate going into the Tory Conference when asked about the U-Turn = "You should always stick with the policy you announced, regardless"

Sounded like the thinking that brought about the slaughter at The Somme.

StoneofDestiny Mon 03-Oct-22 13:07:33

I am still waiting on his take on Tuss saying she will ignore the democratically elected leader of Scotland. Like her or not, she is the choi e of the Scottish people, unlike Truss (or any other Tory for that matter).

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 10:34:56

StoneofDestiny

Ah well, immoral policy now dead - but just shows you what this government is capable of and how easily conned its supporters are into defending the indefensible.

I think you're in Scotland StoneofDestiny? I wonder if, like me, you are waiting for Douglas Ross's take on this? After him and the other Tories all haranguing the government about not replicating the tax changes north of the border?