Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you lock your doors in daytime ?

(161 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Thu 29-Sep-22 18:22:58

Our front door automatically locks when we come in, we have side gate that is always locked and bolted top and bottom but I never lock back kitchen door, Anyone else?

Greciangirl Sun 02-Oct-22 16:19:35

I most definitely do lock all doors if in during the day and of course , at night,

After an attempted burglary not long ago, we now have cctv cameras installed.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 02-Oct-22 15:27:06

You might as well save money by not paying your insurance premium. They won’t pay up if you’re burgled. Your neighbours presumably don’t know what’s going on after dark when all the curtains are closed.

NoddingGanGan Sun 02-Oct-22 15:19:21

Don't ever lock the back door, not even at night. Don't even lock it if I go out for a walk! Very small village and the plus side of everyone knowing everyone else's business!grin

grandtanteJE65 Sun 02-Oct-22 15:12:27

We keep our front door locked, as we rarely us it.

We live in a country area, where most people come round the back, and the back door is unlocked during the day if we are at home. My housekeeping purse, bank card and passport are kept in a place only I know of, and where it is unlikely anyone would think to look. I never vacuum upstairs if alone in the house.

No-one here has locks on their gates, unless to keep toddlers in. They are not necessary otherwise.

StarSong Sun 02-Oct-22 15:01:46

Doors are locked at all times, monitored alarm system is armed every night and whenever we leave the house - even if it's only for a walk around the neighborhood.

Three internal and two external cameras are triggered to record motion or sound.

I can also tune into live camera feeds from my phone, a great feature when we're traveling. Also when I to see what our new dog is up to when DH & I are out.

sharonarnott Sun 02-Oct-22 14:50:34

In this day and age yes, I feel better with them locked

Susieq62 Sun 02-Oct-22 14:46:26

A.ways lock front door when at home ! Had my handbag pinched from kitchen in my last house as I was too trusting.
Lesson learned.
No access here to people using the back door so not an issue except when go to bed or upstairs for Tv as lounge on first floor!
Best to be safe!

Keekaboo Sun 02-Oct-22 13:58:40

Front door locks when closed slam shut system and back door locked all the time too. Have a gate that creaks on the side and might hear someone coming in to back but just be sure it’s always locked. Alarm on when I go to bed too.
My daughter was in house by herself one day and saw a man trying neighbours doors so she phoned the police right away. He was well gone by the time they came though. But she gave a good description. So always keep doors locked.

Treetops05 Sun 02-Oct-22 13:52:52

We live in a hard to find spot, at the end of a private road cul-de-sac (not as great as it sounds). Our front door is unlocked at 07.45 and locked around 8pm. Delivery men know to leave items on our doorstep, although my lovely Hermes/Evri driver opens the door and leaves the package in the porch - giving our dog a treat at the same time. If I lived somewhere busy or public I would probably lock up though.

Tusue Sun 02-Oct-22 13:47:23

I wish I lived where some of you do but I’m afraid that after being burgled one afternoon a couple of years ago we lock everything all day and night ,we have cameras and a burglar alarm system that we set every night and even if we pop out to the shops ,it’s sad we have to do it but it makes me feel that we’ve done all we can against theft or trespass but I realise if someone really wants to get in they could force things .I suppose we are shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but we learnt the hard way .

Bluecat Sun 02-Oct-22 13:15:54

Our doors are always locked. We take the keys out and put them on a hook nearby (mainly because we lost the back door key a couple of times.)

Obviously most people aren't criminals but there's no avoiding the fact that some are. Why make it easy for burglars? But there's safety to consider too. We wanted to be sure of the safety of our kids, and now our grandchildren, and we didn't want just anyone being able to walk into our house. We want to keep ourselves safe too, particularly now we're getting old. My mum, who had been a civilian worker for the police and whose dad was a detective sergeant, said that old people often seemed to be victims not just because they were more vulnerable but because thugs thought they would have savings stashed away. They were often wrong but, by the time they found out, the old person was hurt or dead.

I don't see the problem. If you want someone to come into your house, let them in. Give someone a key for emergencies. Easy peasy.

Wendy Sun 02-Oct-22 12:59:55

Our doors are always locked. If I am in the garden away from the house I lock the back door as well. Front door is always locked. We have an burglar alarm that is set downstairs at night. My MIL was in the front garden with a tradesman working on the back of the house. A man walked passed her to the back garden. She thought he was to do with the tradesman. The tradesman thought he was a friend of hers and the man went in the house and stole money from her bag in the kitchen!

MeowWow Sun 02-Oct-22 12:54:52

Yes, our front door is always locked. The back door is too. I lived in South Africa and old habits die hard.

LeeN137 Sun 02-Oct-22 12:50:06

Live in a flat, so only the one door. But, no, it's not specifically locked during the day (I have been known to forget to unlock it when I get up) - locking makes it too awkward for getting deliveries.

GrammaH Sun 02-Oct-22 12:37:10

Always lock the doors if I'm going upstairs or to the far end of the house. We live down a very long farm drive with a security gate at the end of it. We're very rural here and theft from houses and buildings is rife.

Saggi Sun 02-Oct-22 12:21:59

I refuse to be dragged into this ‘ everyone’s a baddie!’ …..I will never lock my doors during the day ….my side gate I’m used to locking , to keep toddling grandkids in ….and in later days my husband ( Alzheimer’s) from wandering the street ( bolt on outside of gate for him)

Happysexagenarian Sun 02-Oct-22 12:20:50

Only the front door. Not for security reasons but because our dog can open it and does, so to avoid him getting on the road we keep it locked. As I write three patio doors are wide open and the kitchen door, also windows in all bedrooms and bathroom. DH is far more security conscious than me. He locks the doors at night and shuts windows. We can't lock any windows, never had keys for them. But we often forget to shut doors or windows when we go out, and have left the car unlocked countless times. We have an alarm system (it was an insurance requirement) but we've never used it, can't remember how it works now. When we moved here the side of the house was open to the road, so neighbours and postman etc always walked round to the back door, a rural custom I was told, I quite liked it. DH didn't like it so he installed a side gate. I couldn't live in a house with all the doors and windows closed and locked all the time, I'd feel like I was in a prison!

Nannina Sun 02-Oct-22 12:13:21

My back and front doors are always locked when I’m at home, I lock them automatically when I or visitors come in. It’s been embarrassing a few times when workmen etc. attend and then find they can’t get out-sometimes you can see the panic in their eyes smile

nanna8 Sun 02-Oct-22 12:12:15

No. When we go out we leave one of the back doors open but lock the front. When we are home it is all unlocked. I suppose we are lucky because we live in a cul de sac and not many people other than residents come up here. Touch wood, we haven’t had any burglaries in the 30 years we have lived here.

madeleine45 Sun 02-Oct-22 11:59:09

When you lock your door do you take the key out? It is quite important as if there is any problems it is difficult to get in without breaking a door down. I had a fall and had left the key in the door and this was a problem. Since then have made sure that I take the key out, and have also had a key lock installed which family and 2 friends know where to find it and has a number pass to get into. Also dont have car keys or any keys kept near the door as that gives opportunity to try and hook them through letterbox etc

Bankhurst Sun 02-Oct-22 11:56:59

Yes, always locked.
While my DS was upstairs bathing his twins and his wife was out, burglars came in the unlocked back door, took easily removable stuff and drove away in his car.

Foxyferret Sun 02-Oct-22 11:54:15

Always lock the front door as I spend a lot of time at the back of the house in the kitchen or garden. If I’m alone, I lock both back and front. Sometimes I have a shower in the daytime so all is locked up and my mobile phone is in my bag in the bathroom. My other half says I’m too careful, but there are some strange folk about and I do not want to be caught by the mad axeman of Peterborough?

Nannashirlz Sun 02-Oct-22 11:45:40

Yes every time I walk in door I lock it. My aunt used to leave hers open shut but not locked one afternoon two young men walked in unknown to her beat and raped her she was in her 70s at the time none of her neighbors noticed. it’s always stayed in my head all these years later and I started to lock mine after that and I’d be more concerned nowadays with everyone being skint incase someone came in and robbed me. Not saying it to scare ppl.

knspol Sun 02-Oct-22 11:40:08

Doors alway locked, a habit from when we lived in flats and the front door was the only means of escape from any intruder. Nowadays doors still locked apart from when I'm in the garden which I realise doesn't make much sense as I wouldn't see any intruder although front gates always locked. Perhaps I need to rethink that one!

pascal30 Sun 02-Oct-22 11:36:45

tidyskatemum

Where we live people tend to leave their doors unlocked. Burglary is virtually unheard of. Everyone leaves a box outside for parcels and with anything too big for the box the postie/ delivery man usually walks in the houseand leaves the parcel in the hall! A couple of times a year there is a big influx of outsiders for specific events and then we lock everything in sight

Sounds like bliss... My house is straight onto the street and I have been known to leave my keys in my front door, but neighbours are great here and tell me!! I do normally lock from the inside...