Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you lock your doors in daytime ?

(161 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Thu 29-Sep-22 18:22:58

Our front door automatically locks when we come in, we have side gate that is always locked and bolted top and bottom but I never lock back kitchen door, Anyone else?

kittylester Fri 07-Oct-22 07:52:35

In defence of 'Nottingham Knockers' - we have had the same chap for years. I always buy something he is very grateful and we have never been burgled.

nanna8 Fri 07-Oct-22 06:18:50

Downside is the postal delivery is once or twice a week at best!

nanna8 Fri 07-Oct-22 06:17:52

Not smug at all- it's just where we live is different. Low population density and any potential burglar would take quite a while to get out of our one way streets- so up to now, since they were built in the 1980s, no one has bothered. Could change,though, I realise that.

Magrithea Thu 06-Oct-22 10:22:00

I do if 'home alone' but we've been known to go to bed with doors unlocked/open and all has been fine!

M0nica Mon 03-Oct-22 17:45:20

Sparklefizz Not many people have said they never lock their doors, and few have said they leave their doors unlocked when they leave the house. Few leave their front doors unlocked Mostly it is a question of whether you leave back doors unlocked when in the house or garden.

Having had three magnificent sets of French doors installed last year, they have been open most of the time this summer, but we have a secure back garden and always lock them if we leave the house.

Your insurance is only invalid if you leave the house empty when doors are unlocked. If you are on the premises or in the garden your insurance is valid, whether the back doors are open or shut and locked.

Sparklefizz Mon 03-Oct-22 12:52:16

It's noticeable on this thread that the police have told some of us to keep our doors locked, and that those of us who have family connections with the police (I am one) are people who lock our doors.

Those who rather smugly say they don't bother to lock their doors are ignoring police advice and invalidating their insurance.

I can't understand the benefits of not locking.

Kartush Mon 03-Oct-22 05:30:26

I lock my front screen door when I am alone in the house and am in another part of the house.
I always know if someone is coming to the door as my husband has alarmed our front gate but he likes me to lock the door if I am alone.
Our back door is never locked

nanna8 Mon 03-Oct-22 00:46:49

I have a sign at the front saying that knocking or ringing the bell at this house is illegal ( got it from a local politician and it looks very official) Works a treat. We haven’t had anyone except invited guests or postmen knock for many years now.

nannypiano Sun 02-Oct-22 22:28:12

The previous owners of my house moved to a new house that had be to be locked with a key, whereas they had been used to a yale lock, that was locked when closed. The week they moved in they went out and bought a new large tv and because they forgot to lock the front door, they woke up next morning to find their new tv was gone. Someone must have been checking front doors and they struck lucky. But it taught me to keep my door locked when I changed to a similar new door.

Galaxy Sun 02-Oct-22 21:36:40

Because people have different views. I have never in my whole life locked my house when I am in it.

Peaseblossom Sun 02-Oct-22 21:07:43

Why the hell would anyone NOT lock their doors? It's crazy. I would not feel safe if I didn't lock all my doors. I wouldn't go upstairs and leave the kitchen door unlocked, or wide open (or window), even if it was hot. Even when people say that years ago they never had to lock their doors, I still think that was crazy too. Do/did people think that burglars/rapists, etc. didn't exist then?!

4allweknow Sun 02-Oct-22 20:54:36

Front door is always locked. Door at back unlocked if I am in. Side gates are locked. I have a motion sensitive door bell connected to phone so if I am in garden I can see if anyone is on driveway approaching the house.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 02-Oct-22 20:38:54

You cannot be serious.

grannypiper Sun 02-Oct-22 20:25:39

I don't even know where the keys to the house are

kjmpde Sun 02-Oct-22 19:59:42

when i worked from home, the door was locked as I would never heard if someone came in the house whilst i was on the phone . the front door is now locked as we use the side door - i would hear if anybody came in during the day. locked of an evening

MissMellie Sun 02-Oct-22 19:48:09

Like tidyskatemum I live in an area practically devoid of crime.

My doors are never locked except at bedtime and sometimes I’ve forgotten then.

dirgni Sun 02-Oct-22 19:25:34

I live in a high crime area so the doors are always well and truly locked!

Skye17 Sun 02-Oct-22 19:25:05

My next door neighbour did tell me she’d seen someone trying the doors while I was out. They could also try them while I was in.

Skye17 Sun 02-Oct-22 19:23:29

I keep all the doors locked since I read our local police force’s advice to do so.

I should have before really. Otherwise anyone can walk in and quickly take your handbag or car key, even if you are just in another room. Then they can steal your car.

Flo122 Sun 02-Oct-22 18:57:09

I always lock front and back doors, whether DH is there or not. I also lock the loo door, even if I'm home alone (don't know why)

Tinydancer Sun 02-Oct-22 18:49:52

Friend had her handbag stolen from kitchen whilst bathing toddler and baby upstairs 38 years ago. I live in a very low crime area but keep all doors locked apart from when in and out of back garden in hot weather.

WoodLane7 Sun 02-Oct-22 18:48:22

Never used to but then I started seeing various posts on our village FB page about intruders walking in or trying doors so I lock the front door now. To get to the back they would have to scale a 6 foot high fence so I am less worried about that but do lock up if I am hoovering or upstairs

Sparklefizz Sun 02-Oct-22 17:35:25

Treetops ^ If I lived somewhere busy or public I would probably lock up though.^

It's much easier to burgle a place that's tucked away and isolated.

Shizam Sun 02-Oct-22 17:26:28

I never did during the day until we had spate of burglaries in road round about 5pm. But I do still forget. Husband once left back door open when we were away for two weeks. ?

nipsmum Sun 02-Oct-22 16:27:22

Yes I do. Anyone could come in my rear door and i wouldn't hear them. My daughter has done it and the dog didn't hear her.