Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you like 'a hearty stew'?

(174 Posts)
kittylester Tue 04-Oct-22 12:49:49

I follow a few cooking sites and, this morning, a recipe for 'a hearty stew' appeared in my inbox.

My heart sank. Not sure whether it is a throw back to school dinners, my mum's cooking or what.

I do sausage casserole, braised steak, coq au vin etc etc but the thought of hearty stews really depress me.

Anyone else?

AreWeThereYet Tue 04-Oct-22 13:39:07

Oh I love cawl. It has to be cooked for about two days though for me - the veg all disintegrate and thicken up it up and the meat falls apart, then more veg added. Oh my goodness. ❤️❤️❤️

We both love stews and casseroles. Every now and again we make a big casserole in the slow cooker with dumplings. Eat one third with the dumplings and freeze the rest. Then next week one part in a steamed suet pudding (also in the slow cooker), and the last third with a baked suet crust. The actual casserole changes depending on what meat/veg/wine/beer/herbs we have.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 13:39:13

I’m having one at the weekend, done in the slow cooker. Beef, onions, garlic, carrots and good stock, lovely dumplings and some buttery mash.

AreWeThereYet Tue 04-Oct-22 13:39:55

MissAdventure

Whatever it is, I don't think I like it.

Oh Miss A I promise you would

Riverwalk Tue 04-Oct-22 13:41:27

Kitty maybe it's the word 'stew' that sinks your heart - sounds so much better as a hearty casserole, hearty tagine, hearty goulash smile

Stew is a bit sort of... stewy!

MissAdventure Tue 04-Oct-22 13:44:52

Ooh, lovely mash covered in thick gravy.

kittylester Tue 04-Oct-22 13:45:33

Think that might be it, Riverwalk. Just asked dh and he shuddered and said 'Pipes'. Xx

MissAdventure Tue 04-Oct-22 13:47:06

Pipes????
Eeek!

Norah Tue 04-Oct-22 13:54:26

We love stew, soup, chili - with no added meat, chicken, fish.

Riverwalk Tue 04-Oct-22 13:55:21

Dare I ask... pipes?

If it's gruesome, don't say!

MissAdventure Tue 04-Oct-22 14:04:20

I had a big pipe in my corned beef and Branston sarnie years ago.

I've never got over it. All quivering and white - me and the pipe.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 14:05:49

Sounds like school stew. Lots of fat, gristle - etc.

Riverwalk Tue 04-Oct-22 14:06:45

grin

Riverwalk Tue 04-Oct-22 14:08:55

The grin was to MissA.

Must have been a bit of lung or similar. All good protein, I hope!

MissAdventure Tue 04-Oct-22 14:16:29

Oh, stop it!
It was horrible...smile
I can't even speak about it; it makes me retch!

Sarah74 Tue 04-Oct-22 14:18:17

But the meat is all the other animal’s bits!

Riverwalk Tue 04-Oct-22 14:19:00

Could have been in the Branston!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 14:23:21

To get away from the nasties (which definitely won’t be in my stew/casserole) and make it sound a bit healthier, I will stir some green cabbage through the mash.

Riverwalk Tue 04-Oct-22 14:29:59

MissAdventure

I had a big pipe in my corned beef and Branston sarnie years ago.

I've never got over it. All quivering and white - me and the pipe.

I'm reminded of when as a nursing student, nearly 50 years' ago gulp and a colleague was complaining that she found a tooth in her corned beef sandwich!

I've never knowingly eaten the stuff since those days.

Jaxjacky Tue 04-Oct-22 14:31:02

Planned for Sunday, stewing steak, root veg, onions, thyme, splosh of red wine and Worcestershire sauce. Served with cabbage/kale mix and mash. Veg all from my allotment share.

HurdyGurdy Tue 04-Oct-22 14:40:15

Riverwalk

Kitty maybe it's the word 'stew' that sinks your heart - sounds so much better as a hearty casserole, hearty tagine, hearty goulash smile

Oh, you've just reminded me of when my youngest son was about eight years old.

We were having dinner and one of them asked if it was stew.

My son put on a mock-posh accent, and said "No. Mum doesn't make stews. She makes casseroles".

I feel I may have emphasised "casserole" too often!

Out of the mouths of babes, eh? ?

MissAdventure Tue 04-Oct-22 14:41:34

shock
Riverwalk

Greenfinch Tue 04-Oct-22 14:45:23

Hearty stew is our favourite for a Sunday. I then add some more carrots and gravy and any leftover new potatoes and peas and it is something to look forward to on Tuesday.

BigBertha1 Tue 04-Oct-22 15:08:31

We are stew aficionados here too - lovely on a winters day and I make enough to last a few days. I have to justify the fuel use even more now. No dumplings sadly - too fatty they will juts attach themselves to my derriere.

Yammy Tue 04-Oct-22 15:14:31

Riverwalk

I really agree with this. The word stew literally makes me baulk, yet if I say casserole I can eat it.
It is a hangover from school, gristle and unidentifiable objects floating in greasy gravy. Liver floating in gravy with rainbow-coloured fat, tongue with the taste buds still on, the worst was Seaman's stew we said it looked like Seaman had given back to the sea. Thought association still plays a big part on my palate.
It must have been a nightmare for my mother to cater for me, I don't like gravy on anything. Put wine or cream in and call it a sauce and I can face it.
I know I was removed from school dinners for vomiting in the school canteen. I had to stay at Grammar school it was at least 8 miles away, I usually came home absolutely famished.blush

MrsKen33 Tue 04-Oct-22 15:16:32

Absolute favourite is Welsh lamb stew…Cawl. My gran , aunties and mother made it. Must be lambs’ neck though.