Gransnet forums

Chat

Basic things younger people don't know.

(183 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Tue 04-Oct-22 21:16:57

I laughed at my daughter today. She rang for advice as her iron stopped working and I said perhaps the fuse had gone.
Tonight she told me she had been unable to open the iron and would try again tomorrow.Didn't know it was in the plug

MerylStreep Sun 09-Oct-22 13:59:16

MissAdventure
That’s got to be one of the best ?

MissAdventure Sun 09-Oct-22 14:28:01

She was into her 30s at the time.
And... she argued the point furiously, in the face of our incredulity.

JaneJudge Sun 09-Oct-22 14:30:03

Was she heavily into vampire movies?

FannyCornforth Sun 09-Oct-22 14:31:13

MissAdventure

My nwighbour bought a cauliflower, and the young woman behind the till had to ask what it was, so she could find the barcode.

My old neighbour who past away years ago at a great age was notorious for his household blunders.
His wife asked him to put the cabbage on for Sunday dinner while she popped out.
She returned a few minutes later to a sauce pan full of slime.
He’d boiled a lettuce

FannyCornforth Sun 09-Oct-22 14:32:24

MissAdventure

She was into her 30s at the time.
And... she argued the point furiously, in the face of our incredulity.

That’s absolutely amazing ?

MerylStreep Sun 09-Oct-22 14:37:15

My daughters friend ( mid 50s) didn’t know what a red cabbage was up until a couple of years ago.
Where as both my grandchildren know how to cook it with all the trimmings.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Oct-22 14:37:15

She was a star, I agree.
She looked like little, doe eyed doll, too.
She was easily forgiven.

Aldom Sun 09-Oct-22 14:47:35

MerylStreep

Grammarreto
Delia Smith wrote a book called, How to boil an egg.
Lots of people laughed at the idea, but if you don’t know, you don’t know.

Yesterday I watched a programme on TV. A middle aged doctor was a guest in a self catering property. For breakfast bread and an electric toaster were supplied along with eggs and an egg boiling machine. The gentleman didn't have breakfast, explaining to the host that he had never made toast or cooked an egg and did not know how to use the machines. Although instructions were provided for the egg boiler. smile

kittylester Sun 09-Oct-22 15:00:09

No one knows What they don't know until they are told

MissAdventure Sun 09-Oct-22 15:21:13

I think that is what puts me off tech.

People start eye rolling and sighing, or they show you too quickly, so you can't see what their hands are doing. blush

JaneJudge Sun 09-Oct-22 15:23:23

we once stayed in a hotel which had a posh coffee machine and we had no idea how to use it so just drank tea

MissAdventure Sun 09-Oct-22 15:26:43

I stayed at my daughters for ten long days while she was on holiday.
Dog, cat, two children, and a hello fresh delivery every day.

I couldnt get the Hoover to work the whole time I was there.

I had to sweep up on my hands and knees with a dustpan and brush.

Aldom Sun 09-Oct-22 15:53:53

The thing that used to get me was the grandchildren's baby buggy. Never got the hang of opening and folding the thing.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Oct-22 15:58:29

grin
Those too.
I also couldn't work out how to use a key meter for the electric.
All these numbers come up, and some is emergency, but it's ok, because you can regularly use the emergency amount... weird!

Speldnan Sun 09-Oct-22 19:52:58

Was reading in the paper today that schools are having to put digital clocks as well as analogue in exams because the kids can’t read them. I used to work in a grammar school running the exams and there were teenagers who could only read digital clocks- I found it shocking I must say. My grandchildren all learnt while they were quite young. I also taught them to tie their shoe laces, how to knit and how to to tie a tie!

MissAdventure Sun 09-Oct-22 20:04:12

I think it depends on the time a person was born.

For example, I can remember old money, but I have no idea how it worked, because decimilisation was bought in just before I started to learn about money. (By playing in the school "shop", selling and buying things.

Mollygo Sun 09-Oct-22 20:36:29

Speldnan
Was reading in the paper today that schools are having to put digital clocks as well as analogue in exams because the kids can’t read them.
It’s another use it or lose it thing. They learn to read analogue and record times on analogue clocks starting in KS1, but most children only use that in school. Homes have digital on TV, microwave, devices, and phones, so analogue is soon forgotten.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Oct-22 20:39:48

My grandson wasn't too sure about analogue clocks.
He learned from me, but then I'm not sure my girl would have known how to do a tie.

Wyllow3 Sun 09-Oct-22 21:34:32

My Gs refuses to bother with Analogue clocks at age 10.

I caught him out on sat nags tho.

(OK, I'll have to give in in the end out of necessity but)

he wanted to travel to the country park with me, and I was supposed to follow Mum and Dad. I ..erm..mistook which people carrier I was following in a busy town and we were separated.

GS panics. I say, we'll do it the old fashioned way. GS looks blank. Panic. Grandma clearly has lost it.

I stopped at 3 places and... gasp..

asked the way..

and we arrived 15 mins later!

MawtheMerrier Sun 09-Oct-22 21:44:17

MerylStreep

Grammarreto
Delia Smith wrote a book called, How to boil an egg.
Lots of people laughed at the idea, but if you don’t know, you don’t know.

Actually she didn’t.
You may be confusing these .
But I admit lots of people can’t actually boil an egg, judging by the eggs I have sometimes been offered.

Georgesgran Sun 09-Oct-22 21:57:36

I don’t know if this is an urban myth, but it was reported somewhere that despite owning an expensive Rolex watch, Joey Essex (TOWIE) can’t tell the time by it.

Grammaretto Sun 09-Oct-22 22:04:54

Thanks for the reminder Meryl and Maw
I remember Delia's TV series - most thorough.
I ordered Eggs Florentine recently in a cafe. It was expensive. A half roll, some rather tough spinach topped with a half cooked poached egg . Horrible.

Aldom those buggies!
We tried without success to fold a buggy and were trying to pack it into the boot in its upright position.
A youngish parent came to our rescue but even he was struggling.
He admitted to having an engineering degree and eventually worked it out.

MerylStreep Sun 09-Oct-22 22:06:42

Georgesgran
Joey isn’t as green as he’s cabbage looking.
It’s all an act.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Oct-22 22:10:38

Essex boy done good, innit?

MerylStreep Sun 09-Oct-22 22:21:16

MissAdventure

Essex boy done good, innit?

Banging ?