Gransnet forums

Chat

Anything you would you like to add?

(109 Posts)
Mollygo Mon 21-Nov-22 09:52:40

I just came across this.
Thankfully, blue sky thinking, and outside the box seem to have vanished.
Here are the Top 10 familiar but problematic words and phrases that people want banished in 2022.

•Wait, what?
•No worries.
•At the end of the day…
•That being said…
•Asking for a friend…
•Circle back
•Deep dive
•New normal
•You’re on mute.
•Supply chain

My least favourites on here are Deep dive OFSTED speak for however good you are, we’re looking for anything you might have missed!
The New Normal used by people when you express concern about something unpleasant or inherently dangerous that is becoming commonplace.

eazybee Mon 21-Nov-22 11:46:43

'As the story goes'
'Have I told you this before?' (yes, many times but I am going to repeat it anyway)

OnwardandUpward Mon 21-Nov-22 12:09:32

Or

"Stop me if I've already told you, but....." carries on regardless

HowVeryDareYou Mon 21-Nov-22 12:18:26

No problem
You guys
High Five
At the end of the day
My bad
You've got this (someone said that to me when I was in hospital, unable to do anything at all, after a stroke)

nanna8 Mon 21-Nov-22 12:25:55

OnwardandUpward

Or

"Stop me if I've already told you, but....." *carries on regardless*

That’s funny- and so true ! I have a very long winded friend who always says “to cut a long story short”. But he never does !

Poppyred Mon 21-Nov-22 12:27:45

My bad 🤮
So….
Hun. 🤮

Norah Mon 21-Nov-22 12:30:07

Fur babies.

Gillycats Mon 21-Nov-22 12:49:36

Touch base
Ent
My bad
I’m not gonna lie
Literally

Blossoming Mon 21-Nov-22 12:49:49

UOK hun

SueDonim Mon 21-Nov-22 13:03:34

Loads of these annoy me. Unfortunately, I also use lots of them myself. grin

Blossoming Mon 21-Nov-22 13:07:12

I’m guilty of using ‘my bad’ grin. Soz!

HowVeryDareYou Mon 21-Nov-22 13:11:26

Another one -

Soz (so insincere) instead of sorry

grannyrebel7 Mon 21-Nov-22 13:19:02

"I'm not gonna lie" implies the speaker usually does. I can't stand it! Hate fur babies also!

merlotgran Mon 21-Nov-22 13:25:50

I know you should ask, Do you have?’ rather than, ‘Have you got?’ but when people answer, ‘I do’ to the latter, I mutter, ‘You do got?’ 🤔

Jaxjacky Mon 21-Nov-22 13:27:12

‘We will reach out to..’

Mollygo Mon 21-Nov-22 13:29:00

Jaxjacky

‘We will reach out to..’

Oh yes. Depending on where it’s said that makes me grrrrrrr!

Doodledog Mon 21-Nov-22 13:29:45

annsixty

Dismissing one’s feelings by the saying “ it’s a first world problem “.

Yes, as though we don't live in the first world (for now, at least wink). What other sort of problems are we going to have?

I also dislike 'Look', at the start of a sentence. You just know that the speaker is going to 'tell you how it is', which also annoys me.

Doodledog Mon 21-Nov-22 13:31:27

Oh, and may I add 'successfully delivered'?

I've just had an email saying my parcel was 'successfully delivered, which means 'left in the rain on the doorstep', as there is nobody in to take delivery 😡

Mollygo Mon 21-Nov-22 13:31:28

Does anyone actually believe that ‘Asking for a friend’ really means that? Have you ever used the phrase?

Doodledog Mon 21-Nov-22 13:34:43

I think it's usually said ironically, Molly. I'm asking for a friend, obviously wink

grannydarkhair Mon 21-Nov-22 13:37:09

“Prolly” for probably. And one that’s been happening for years - saying “like” in every sentence as in “I was like happy to do that”.

Nell8 Mon 21-Nov-22 13:38:14

"The trouble is, is that ....."

Doodledog Mon 21-Nov-22 13:41:09

grannydarkhair

“Prolly” for probably. And one that’s been happening for years - saying “like” in every sentence as in “I was like happy to do that”.

I caught a bit of a TV show called 'Secret Crush' (or similar) the other day, and there were two young people who fancied one another in conversation. They were really sweet, but honestly, every other word was 'like'. I said to Mr D that it would do them good to read a transcription of their 5 minutes of fame. I don't suppose young people hear the 'likes', but I found it really difficult to follow what they were saying.

Ziplok Mon 21-Nov-22 13:46:53

This may have been said upthread, so apologies if that’s the case, but I dislike
“I’m not being funny, but…” which invariably means the opposite and that the person saying it does disagree with what someone else has voiced, so in effect they are “being funny”
(and I don’t mean funny as in “ha, ha”).

Doodledog Mon 21-Nov-22 13:49:54

I find it irritating when someone prefaces something very serious with 'isn't it funny that . . . .'

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Nov-22 13:53:29

Jaxjacky

‘We will reach out to..’

Definitely

‘Thank you for reaching out to us…’

Usually following an email I’ve sent to complain about something or other