Gransnet forums

Chat

I am NOT expecting many to get back to me BUT...........

(100 Posts)
Maywalk Mon 28-Nov-22 14:59:56

What would you buy for a lifelong friend who will be 100 years old on the 3rd of December.

I have a present for her already but I wont tell you yet what I have got her because I am just curious to find out what others would think of getting her to celebrate her centenary.

I did not want to get her flowers or any ornaments because I expect others will get that sort of present.

She was a very talented woman and an ex Land Army Girl. Unfortunately age has now stopped her doing her wonderful paintings and craft work but she can still read.

She lives on her own although her daughter goes twice a day to make sure she takes the right dose of medication.

She has just received a birthday card signed by both from the King and his wife with a lovely photo of King Charles and Camilla the Queen Consort on the front of it.

My lovely friend must be one of THE first to receive something like this before the King is crowned.

I feel honoured to have had my friend aboard my train of life.

M0nica Sat 03-Dec-22 07:22:11

But to have lived through most of the 20th Century and seen all the massive changes in society firsthand, must be amazing!

At only 79, having lived through many changes - I was born during WW2, the changes in Society do not feel amazing. They creep up on you unawares and are adopted incrementally. I have recently updated my phone, upgraded to Windows 11, ordered many of my Christmas presents online.

It is bit like going up a very tall building in a lift, you seem to just whizz up and find yourself at the top.

Maywalk Thu 01-Dec-22 16:01:25

Many thanks everyone for getting back to me.

I will pass on any suggestions that you have come up with.

Cheers

crazyH Wed 30-Nov-22 23:46:43

Lovely thread ….

GreenGran78 Wed 30-Nov-22 23:25:56

This thread has made a very interesting read, Maywalk, and it's good to have you back here again.
I'm sure that a 1922 newspaper would make fascinating reading, and people have also made some interesting suggestions. A friend of mine was 90 recently, and 90% of his gifts were bottles of booze. Mainly whisky, but some wine. He doesn't drink much, and has almost enough to start his own pub!

Bijou Wed 30-Nov-22 22:52:09

A couple of years ago I wrote down my autobiography which is now in the possession of my son.

Maywalk Wed 30-Nov-22 21:36:22

Yes Kazzal there has been a massive change during my 9 decades.
During the 30s I was illtreated by so called Sisters-of-Mercy and folks had to pay to see a doctor.

In the 40s I was machine gunned and bombed out twice and then evacuated.
After the war in 1948 the NHS started.
1949 was the year I got married.

In the 50s I went through the post war years and still on rations until 1954.

During the 60s the two year National Service finished. That was one of the daftest things the government did because it helped to make young lads into men and gave them something to look back on. Unfortunately a lot of them turned to drugs.

Its been a big change through my life which takes in electrical goods such as washing machines, refrigerators, television, phones, plus the technology we have now and many more things that are now taken for granted, but I would not have wanted my life any other way.

Callistemon21 Wed 30-Nov-22 21:17:36

M0nica

Why when people are 100 would they want all these memories of the past? Reminders of when they were born. If they have forgotten the date, reminding them will not help.
As Bijou makes clear. She has got all the reminders herself.

Surely those giving gifts to people who are 100 should treat them as any other ordinary person and choose presents specific to them and their interests, not their age.

I have 20 years to go before I reach my century, but I hope I will get taken to the opera at G1ynebourne, hopefully La Traviata or Eugene Onegin, taken to an exhibition at a Museum somewhere or taken somewhere I would love to visit but have yet to do. There are plenty of nooks and crannies in this country, possibly some quite local that I do not know about, but would love to visit.

I'd like someone to take all my photos in albums, boxes, frames, sort them, discard the unimportant ones and have them printed in chronological order in books with annotations.

If anyone asks 🙂

Kazzal Wed 30-Nov-22 21:00:55

I think it sounds like a lovely gift Maywalk, I think we need to glance backwards to remind ourselves how far we’ve come! So much has changed over the last 100 years, I’m 42 and have obviously seen major changes in my lifetime in terms of technology etc. But to have lived through most of the 20th Century and seen all the massive changes in society firsthand, must be amazing!

Kazzal Wed 30-Nov-22 20:57:39

I wish you lived near me Bijou, I’d happily visit to see your pictures and hear your stories. I miss my Grandma dearly and would love to adopt one. I miss hearing the stories of what the world was like when my grandparents were growing up, baking with my grandmothers, playing cards or chess with them, getting decent advice about life and so much more. Just I think having someone older and maybe wiser to confide in, that are slightly more removed than my parents. I speak to quite a few older people in my neighbourhood, especially when I’m out with my daughter (she’s 4) and I often want to ask them round for a coffee and a chat, but it doesn’t feel like the done thing these days!

Maywalk Wed 30-Nov-22 19:35:21

M0nica

Why when people are 100 would they want all these memories of the past? Reminders of when they were born. If they have forgotten the date, reminding them will not help.

Surely those giving gifts to people who are 100 should treat them as any other ordinary person and choose presents specific to them and their interests, not their age.

I have 20 years to go before I reach my century, but I hope I will get taken to the opera at G1ynebourne, hopefully La Traviata or Eugene Onegin, taken to an exhibition at a Museum somewhere or taken somewhere I would love to visit but have yet to do. There are plenty of nooks and crannies in this country, possibly some quite local that I do not know about, but would love to visit.

I did it, as I said to annodomini because once when having a conversation with her she mentioned that she would love to know what the world was like when she was born.
She HAS NOT forgotten the date.

Now she will know.
She will have what she wanted.

knspol Wed 30-Nov-22 19:02:18

As you've known her for such a very long time perhaps you have lots of photos taken over the years? In which case why not make up an album from youth to a 100yrs old. My only other idea would be to plant a favourite tree for her as something that would last.

Ukcarolm Wed 30-Nov-22 18:52:17

you say she liked crafts, if that included embroidery or patchwork you can get her a book on the history of that craft.
Please wish her a happy birthday from us all.

grannydarkhair Wed 30-Nov-22 18:41:56

Maywalk told us what gift she was giving her chum on Monday, 28th Nov at 15:47:42.

Suzique Wed 30-Nov-22 18:27:08

If you have any photographs of you both over the years, how about a photo book?
They are easy to organise and not expensive.
It would be a personal present from you.

Sennelier1 Wed 30-Nov-22 18:20:20

You could order her a newspaper of the day she was born! Most newspapers offer that service!

GraneeChrissy Wed 30-Nov-22 17:47:47

Hi May walk. We looked after a very elderly lovely gentleman who lived on his own until 103, with our help. For his 100th we put together all the photos we could find of his life with his life stories, and presented him with it at a party at the golf club where he was a member for over 60 yrs.
For his 101st, we gave him a helicopter ride, first time in the air since 1945! For 103rd, a visit to an airshow (ex aircraft engineer), 104th, party and many day trips out. Unfortunately he passed away 2 weeks before his 105th birthday where we had planned local primary school kids to go to the care home to sing to him !
Hope that helps give you some ideas.

M0nica Wed 30-Nov-22 17:32:26

Maywalk Wed 30-Nov-22 17:30:45

Bijou

I shall be 100 next May. I don’t want any presents. I am disabled and housebound. All my friends have died. My son (73} lives a four drive away. Only see my help for an hour each day. Watch TV most of the day when I am not looking after myself and getting my meals.
I have photos of myself from the age of three months. Thousands of slides and photos of my family the earliest of my grandmother aged sixteen in 1865. And of my travels abroad.
I have loads of cookbooks. Some of my mothers and mine from 1946 and the days when I demonstrated at WI. My school text books from the age of five.
Two of my elderly neighbours have gone into care homes and I have seen skips taking away all their possessions.
I watch Gransnet. Every day and feel sorry for those who have problems.

Well Done Bijou for being the oldest on here and managing to keep up with the times.
It does help to be able to use the net to keep in touch with others worldwide because I am in the same boat as you with being disabled and housebound.

Unfortunately many of my mothers old documents and photos got bombed during the London Blitz although she did manage to crawl into what was left of the first house we had bombed and saved a small case with some documents in it including my grandparents wedding certificate dated Christmas Day 1897 .

ileea Wed 30-Nov-22 16:49:41

My Aunty is going to be 100 this spring. My mom is crocheting her a lap quilt with her name and dates on it.
I will be making her a small photo book.

HazelGreen Wed 30-Nov-22 16:27:54

Some lovely ideas here.... My mother got her card from the Queen. Sadly in middle of covid so a lowkey affair. There were many presents of orchids but she passed them on as too many to be minding. I live abroad and got a hamper made up of special foods from here. Another one but very posh in a proper basket was also given. My one was just a filled up cardboard box. I made up the photobook with all living descendants and few extra memories. She also got the newspaper of the day but do not think it was looked at much also the print is very hard to read. Over the years there were several books about where she was born or lived. They can be hard to find but try local history societies. She was interviewed for a commemorative book about her school and got her memories into print. Yes the Queen's card was the most treasured and still on display when she died at home 15 mths later.

Bijou Wed 30-Nov-22 16:03:45

I shall be 100 next May. I don’t want any presents. I am disabled and housebound. All my friends have died. My son (73} lives a four drive away. Only see my help for an hour each day. Watch TV most of the day when I am not looking after myself and getting my meals.
I have photos of myself from the age of three months. Thousands of slides and photos of my family the earliest of my grandmother aged sixteen in 1865. And of my travels abroad.
I have loads of cookbooks. Some of my mothers and mine from 1946 and the days when I demonstrated at WI. My school text books from the age of five.
Two of my elderly neighbours have gone into care homes and I have seen skips taking away all their possessions.
I watch Gransnet. Every day and feel sorry for those who have problems.

Scottiebear Wed 30-Nov-22 15:40:07

Book about Land Army girls.

LovelyLady Wed 30-Nov-22 14:30:42

Take her out if possible.
Visit often.
Wish her a happy birthday from ‘LovelyLady’

WriterGranny Wed 30-Nov-22 13:51:45

A bottle of champagne

Maywalk Wed 30-Nov-22 13:19:58

annodomini

I don't want to be a killjoy, but why buy someone a newspaper published on the day of their birth? What I would like would be a newspaper published the day after my birth which would then tell me what happened the day I was born. I would learn that on my birth date Franklin D Rooseveldt was elected for the third time., not just that he was running for re-election.

I did it annodomini because once when having a conversation with her she mentioned that she would love to know what the world was like when she was born.
Now she will know.