Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas “News” letters

(61 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Fri 02-Dec-22 20:02:06

My heart sank. My first Christmas letter.
OK happy (ish) to know that friends from all those years ago at university are still at least together and alive but as so often happens with these epistles which are meant for a wide audience, the references to second cousin so-and-so go right over my head. Likewise how their grandchildren get to their new school since they moved (15 minutes in case you are interested)
Oh and the Buckingham Palace Garden Party that was cancelled .
But what really gets me is the need some writers seem to have to comment on the political or economic situation.
This isn’t the place for a “review of the year” . If I want informed comment I’ll read The Economist or The New Statesmen, thank you . I don’t need the view from Little Snoring on Sea.
In fact I am so agog with indifference, I don’t know if I’ll even bother sending them a Christmas card.
They must be confusing me with someone who gives a sh**.

HettyBetty Fri 02-Dec-22 22:48:41

We have friends who don't send a letter, but send a recipe each year. I enjoy that, even if I don't actually cook /bake it, far more than the details of a visit to a third cousin three times removed who I've never met.

ElaineI Fri 02-Dec-22 22:57:11

People are very critical about these. If you don't want to hear just stop sending cards to them. I have 11 people we get these from and send ours to and it keeps us all up to date with friends who are far away and don't see. I like hearing about their families and hope they feel the same. I always write a personal message on the back and usually get one back. Most are not on social media and people I would write to anyway.

Hetty58 Fri 02-Dec-22 23:08:01

We used to get a typed/printed one (probably mail merged) - along with a typed/printed card - from the people next door - just awful and so desperate to update everyone on their (very dull) lives. I spoke to them a lot anyway - so I already knew it all. They divorced and moved away - phew!

IrishDancing Fri 02-Dec-22 23:09:41

One of my nephews has a wonderful solution - a montage of photos taken throughout the year. I don’t really know what his children are up to (well I do this year because I’ve seen him and them) but I do know what they look like!

AussieGran59 Fri 02-Dec-22 23:11:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kate1949 Fri 02-Dec-22 23:24:52

It's nice that some people enjoy reading them and also sending them. Like I said, we're all different. I'm just a miserable old so and so.

henetha Fri 02-Dec-22 23:37:04

I used to be in a round robin where we each had a little folder to enclose recipes, poems, photos, as well as news. It was lovely actually. After a few years it just sort of fizzled out. But I'm still in touch with one of them in America and we exchange letters regularly. I enjoy it.

henetha Fri 02-Dec-22 23:38:29

PS. I must add that only very recently we decided to switch to emails.

GagaJo Fri 02-Dec-22 23:47:33

Why bother with all of that? It's what social media is for.

Straight in the recycling.

Calendargirl Sat 03-Dec-22 07:17:44

One we received said that one of the grandsons, having decided uni was not for him, had secured a well paid job in a local hostelry.

“He’s working in a pub then” said DH.

Joseanne Sat 03-Dec-22 07:17:54

Kate1949

Oh yes the Christmas Round Robin. I get one every year from someone who has a perfect life, perfect children, a soon to be born probably perfect grandchild. The holidays they've had, how well they are all doing and what the cat had for tea.

Oh crikey, that could be me, except it's what the dog had for tea. 🐕
I'm ever so boring really!

I like them if they have photos and have clipart snowflakes and holly leaves splattered all over them for effect. Any political or world news content is a definite No No for me.

Joseanne Sat 03-Dec-22 07:26:29

flowers Hollysteers what a beautiful Christmas memory for you to treasure.

Maggiemaybe Sat 03-Dec-22 08:22:57

I’m just re-reading Hello from the Gillespies, which is set in Australia. About the wrong letter being sent out to the round robin mailing list one Christmas and everyone finding out what’s really going on. It’s a good one for getting into the Christmas spirit. smile

Dorsetcupcake Sat 03-Dec-22 08:26:18

I only get one of these,from friends I was with at University 40 years ago. We haven't met in person since the mid 80s. In some ways it's nice to see their family grow and develop. They are however impersonal as there is a gap left to add name. They are written by the husband. Like others they do seem to consist solely of achievements/ holidays. On the surface it all looks very perfect. I've often been tempted to do one,there are some relatives who live in different areas of country. I only achieved it once,normally its a few paragraphs on an enclosed letter!

BlueBelle Sat 03-Dec-22 08:42:31

I only used to get one but I stopped sending and they ve ceased now it used to go in the bin I had no interest or knowledge of what she was telling me I didn’t need to know her husband was playing widow twanky in the church pantomime and how often he practise I d never seen their house or even town so why did I need to know what improvements they d done hideous things
Love it sodapop

Juliet27 Sat 03-Dec-22 09:10:51

A lovely idea Lucca.

Calendargirl Sat 03-Dec-22 09:15:42

My Australian son in law calls them ‘the humble brag’.

Urmstongran Sat 03-Dec-22 09:31:34

These were very popular with (some) people in the 80’s weren’t they? To be honest I thought the practice had died out with the advent of social media as a lot of people like FB apparently as a way of keeping in touch with acquaintances. I’m surprised some folk still bother to type it all out and actually print it off. Maybe they send them to ‘oldies only’ as they assume they don’t have t’internet. Of course some actually don’t, then there is a reason of sorts I suppose.

notgran Sat 03-Dec-22 09:46:12

Guilty as charged! I have done a Christmas Letter for years. I'm sure some are thrown away unread but many others thank me for them and send me their's. One year as I mentioned on another thread, I decided as my children were now adults I would stop sending them. My sister had relatives and mutual friends contacting her to check all was ok with me and mine. So I continue and rather like the feeling of self affirmation I get from composing and sending them.

Ziplok Sat 03-Dec-22 17:47:09

I suppose it really depends what is put in these letters. If they are chatty, newsy ones, I think that’s fine. I like to hear what people have been up to during the year. Boastful ones, on the other hand are not so good. (Though to be honest, ones I have received haven’t been boastful).

Dickens Sat 03-Dec-22 18:19:54

HettyBetty

We have friends who don't send a letter, but send a recipe each year. I enjoy that, even if I don't actually cook /bake it, far more than the details of a visit to a third cousin three times removed who I've never met.

I think that's a great idea.

I used to receive the other sort - as Urmstongran said, they were very popular around the 80s. They were from people I wasn't closely acquainted with and frankly, they were tedious. I don't think some individuals realise that, apart from major events, the minutiae of most people's lives are quite boring.

I remember further back when guests coming over for dinner would bring their photo' album with them, to show you their holiday photo's. My heart would sink... "here's John by the entrance to our hotel with his hat on" - here's John again, with his hat off"...

Iam64 Sat 03-Dec-22 18:25:45

I believed Simon Hogart had done for these but it seems not. My first arrived yesterday. I’m too well behaved/sensible/considerate etc to write the reality of 2022m especially March - October for me and my loved ones.

MerylStreep Sat 03-Dec-22 18:31:58

I never get them. People I havnt seen or heard from in ages obviously know I don’t give a shit. 😄

1summer Sat 03-Dec-22 18:36:51

We get one every year, I find it fascinating to hear what they have been up to each year. We heard about the children growing up, the Universities they went to , careers, weddings. The holiday home they bought in Cyprus and the long stays described in detail. They sold it last year due to ill health. Etc etc.
But I haven’t a clue who these people are, it is addressed to the couple we bought our house from 26 years ago who went to live and work in South Africa. They are obviously not close as they don’t know this.

GagaJo Sat 03-Dec-22 18:37:36

MerylStreep

I never get them. People I havnt seen or heard from in ages obviously know I don’t give a shit. 😄

Hahahaha, I love it.