Gransnet forums

Chat

The bah humbug thread...

(168 Posts)
Baggs Sun 04-Dec-22 12:19:51

The title was just going to be Bah humbug but that patronising message you get when composing your title made me add extra characters, including three full stops 🙄

I just wanted to start a thread for people like me who don't really do xmas. I'm not a feasting sort of person so that side of it has no appeal. Nor do I like turkey anyway – well, it's good cold with bread sauce and stuffing in a sandwich but I'm not cooking a whole blasted turkey for that, nor steeping in milk an onion stabbed with cloves as in the Delia bread sauce method. It's the best bread sauce but...

Anyway, the kids are grown up and all away. The grandkids always have xmas at home and this will be especially important this year for my brain-tumoured daughter.

So.... Mr B might want a bit of chocolate and/or an extra toddy of Laphroaig but he is now successfully losing the very excess weight he had accumulated so over-indulgence should be avoided.

All in all then, it's not so much bah humbug (except for the canned music in shops!!) as, in usual Baggs style.... shrug 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anyone want to join me?

Luckygirl3 Sun 04-Dec-22 16:16:45

Gymstagran - a tough year for you. I hope there are family and friends to be with you. Sending hugs xxx

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Dec-22 16:18:45

Hellogirl1 I just saw your post

I am so sorry for your loss flowers

LRavenscroft Sun 04-Dec-22 16:20:54

I am very pragmatic about Christmas. I make the best of what I have around me without becoming resentful or exhausting myself or spending too much money. Low key, few people and peace.

Gymstagran Sun 04-Dec-22 16:24:21

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and flowers. I shall be with family but am dreading missing the daughter who is not there.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Dec-22 16:24:34

No didn’t swim today Riverwalk it was pretty big waves and swell The temperature is around 8/9 at the moment The lowest I ve been in is 4 or 5 I don’t think the North Sea gets lower than than February is the coldest month usually

Blondiescot Sun 04-Dec-22 16:30:30

The festive season can be a very difficult time of year for many people. My thoughts are with you all who are going through tough times right now. flowers

Glorianny Sun 04-Dec-22 16:34:58

I'm a bit Bah Humbug about Christmas.. I hate all the hype, all the TV adverts all the commercial and promotional stuff. I have had some lovely Christmasses but the build up just irritates me. I am however an absolute sucker for a carol service or carol singers and try to get to as many as I can.(and join in)

Sending flowers to all who have suffered a loss.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Dec-22 16:41:18

I must admit, I'm feeling very forlorn this year; usually I'm just averagely miserable, but I'm excelling myself now

Wyllow3 Sun 04-Dec-22 16:45:29

I just like a low key quiet Christmas, alway have, find huge family do's overwhelm, since my family never did them, I do find some of the consumer excess unpalatable, (not commenting on anyone here as I don't know you)

Not bah humbug and I'm sad for those for whom it was very special and they are missing someone but that doesn't hit me at Christmas rather than any other time. I'll be at Quaker MfW in the morning and I hope a sunny crisp day to walk in the woods and some good films and sending/getting some WhatsApp's.

Kandinsky Sun 04-Dec-22 16:48:35

Ikwym MissAdventure - I really can’t be bothered this year. I’ll have to do a lot of ‘pretending to be happy’ over the next few weeks, which is draining in itself.
Can really understand why some people just jump on a plane and come back when it’s all over.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Dec-22 16:50:59

It's all such a fuss, if it isn't your cup of tea, isn't it?

EkwaNimitee Sun 04-Dec-22 16:51:34

I tolerate Christmas, for me just an excuse for a few extra treats. It breaks up the dreariness of our overlong winters.
It’s greatly over-hyped and overdone in this country and seems to start in September when the first mince pies appear!
My best christmases were spent, for many years, with DH and our caravan on a site in Spain where we regularly enjoyed sun and the same good company. Spain did Christmas in a much more restrained fashion.
My current ploy, being alone, is to alternate going abroad on holiday with a group or visit DS1 and family though the pandemic disrupted that somewhat. It’s good to see the family enjoying themselves but I don’t want them to feel I’m going to be a fixture every year.

Hellogirl1 Sun 04-Dec-22 17:00:59

Thank you for all the kind remarks and condolences. It`s still trying to sink in that he`s gone.
I wasn`t going to put the tree up this year, but my DIL, David`s wife, has just been and brought me an in memoriam tree bauble, so I feel I ought to put up the tree now.

sodapop Sun 04-Dec-22 17:09:00

BlueBelle

Oh Hellogirl just seen your post just cant say anything except how sorry I am for to hear this Sending a big hug your way and to all the other grans who have lost family or have ill family, such a difficult time for so many ❤️

My feelings too, thinking of you all.❤

MissAdventure Sun 04-Dec-22 17:10:21

This thread makes us Humbuggers then. smile

Kandinsky Sun 04-Dec-22 17:23:37

Haha.
Let’s keep it going to get us through Christmas! wine

Kalu Sun 04-Dec-22 17:28:27

We are thankfully pretty well done with Christmas madness now as both DGs are teenagers who along with DD1 will visit at some point on Boxing Day sharing a few gifts and a meal, yet to be decided.
As for spending habits we will certainly be indulging in whatever takes our fancy. No one’s business what we spend! I love a bit of decadent splashing out, ie; a rare chippy served with a chilled bottle of Bolly. This time of year is also my opportunity to go overboard with fairy lights indoors and out on a few shrubs.
DH was diagnosed with throat cancer in the summer which resulted in a total laryngectomy. Successfully removed but now living a new normal minus a voice box. Just so thankful he is still here, recovering, very slowly but surely.

Heartfelt best wishes to Bags, Gymstagran and hellogirl also to others missing cherished loved ones. 💐❤️

MissAdventure Sun 04-Dec-22 17:32:46

Hope you have a great Christmas, kalu smile

I'm glad to hear your husband is gradually recovering.

All the more reason why it's a special time for you.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Dec-22 17:50:41

kalu my friends husband had his voice box removed many years back and is still going strong my friend is surviving a second bout of breast cancer they’re both very optimistic and upbeat
Good luck to your husband

SueDonim Sun 04-Dec-22 17:55:23

Baggs, Hellogirl, Gymstagran 1Summer and anyone I’ve missed, you’re in my thoughts. flowers. Maw too - I can’t believe it’s been five years, I remember reading your sad news at the time. flowers

As a family we are also facing difficult challenges at the moment and I understand how that can make Christmas seem ‘bah humbug’ for some folk. I’ve always loved Christmas myself so I am trying to carry on as usual but also secretly enjoying that my family has now taken on more of the mantle of hosting and I can chill out.

I think it’s just me but all the excess on tv etc that people speak of seems to go over my head, I don’t really notice it. blush This year I’ve noticed that there seems to be a lovely atmosphere amongst groups with people being so grateful that after the last two winters, we can once again meet up and enjoy each other’s company.

My favourite bit of Christmas has always been Christmas Eve, when everyone is in bed, it’s quiet, the tree lights are on and carols playing softly. I’m not a believer but I like to sit and contemplate the Christmas story because to me, the arrival of any new baby, whoever they are, is magical. ❤️

Woollywoman Sun 04-Dec-22 17:56:42

Great post, Baggs - thank you! All those expectations… hmm… Love the shrug at the end:-)

Hugs and best wishes to those who have suffered huge losses recently - so painful for you.xxx

1summer Sun 04-Dec-22 18:26:38

Thank you to all those who have messaged me and are thinking of me - it means a lot. I also send my thoughts and best wishes to those who have suffered a great loss recently and not so recently. Christmas and all anniversaries are so hard for all of us.
I am trying so hard not to be a Bah Humbug but I easily could be. I told my husband I couldn’t and didn’t want to go on without him but he said I must for our granddaughter who he said never let her forget me. So this is what I will do, my happy face is for her.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Dec-22 18:28:26

It's the nicest gift you could give her. smile

Baggs Sun 04-Dec-22 18:34:06

Glad to hear you husband is recovering, kalu x

Debbi58 Sun 04-Dec-22 19:04:44

I'm with you, I'm so over Christmas. I go through the motions for the family . Once grandchildren have grown and my daughter moves out ( she's 30 this year ) hubbie and I will be cruising over Christmas