Gransnet forums

Chat

Are women getting angrier?

(127 Posts)
grannydarkhair Wed 07-Dec-22 18:02:01

Well, are we?
I’m much more relaxed generally since I retired, but I’m certainly angry with/about the current government, the cost of living crisis that is affecting so many, the proposed GRR bill (Scotland), Brexit.
More light heartedly, I’m certainly not happy that I’ve just read book nine in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, and it was crap compared to the previous eight. And goodness knows when we’ll get book ten which should hopefully finish the series. Same goes for George RR Martin and the final book in The Song of Iceland Fire (GoT) series.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-63874001?at_bbc_team=editorial&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_medium=social&at_link_origin=BBCNWT&at_ptr_name=twitter&at_link_id=D5A11AD6-760F-11ED-8214-2438FC756850&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_type=web_link&at_format=link

Kim19 Wed 07-Dec-22 20:26:17

Anger is not part of my make up. My Mum taught me it was a kind of self indulgence, bullying and lack of self control. However I do get frustrated with current injustices but cope with them as best I can. One thing that has definitely helped is that I don't listen to the news much at all nowadays whereas I used to be a newsalcoholic.

Dickens Wed 07-Dec-22 20:36:09

Aveline

There certainly seem to be some angry Grans posting on Gransnet.

Is that a bad thing?

Women, ultimately, got the vote because other women got angry.

Aveline Wed 07-Dec-22 20:42:24

I never said it was a bad thing!

Dickens Wed 07-Dec-22 20:44:02

MawtheMerrier

^The country is in a real mess, with little hope of recovery- no surprise that many wish to express how they feel about this^
I'm not angry just bored at the monotonous regularity of such destructive and negative criticism.
I dare say it's down to Brexit

I think maybe the negativity springs from the fact that there's so little anyone, on a personal level, can do about it.

But co-ordinated, justified anger - that seeks change for the better, is not IMO a bad thing.

sodapop Wed 07-Dec-22 20:45:03

I like the Outlander books but not so much the TV series. I like a big book to get my teeth into. ( figuratively speaking )

Dickens Wed 07-Dec-22 20:45:11

Aveline

I never said it was a bad thing!

You didn't.

That's why I asked the question!

Fleurpepper Wed 07-Dec-22 20:53:18

MawtheMerrier

^The country is in a real mess, with little hope of recovery- no surprise that many wish to express how they feel about this^
I'm not angry just bored at the monotonous regularity of such destructive and negative criticism.

destructive and negative? Or with hope of turning things around for the better, rather than sitting like puddings being covered with this mess? Being 'angry' can be a real force for the better and does imply hope and the will to move forwards and out of this mess. Nothing more destructive and negative than just sitting there, accepting it, imho.

icanhandthemback Wed 07-Dec-22 21:14:09

Agreed, MawtheMerrier.

I think I am much less angry than I used to be but that's probably because I feel more emotionally secure and I don't get PMT!

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Dec-22 21:21:36

volver

Nothing wrong with being angry.

Did none of you do the assertiveness courses that used to be so popular in our youth?

No, you're younger than many of us I think.

However, many of us know that being assertive is not the same as being angry.

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Dec-22 21:22:13

sodapop

I like the Outlander books but not so much the TV series. I like a big book to get my teeth into. ( figuratively speaking )

So did my dog!!

volver Wed 07-Dec-22 21:35:52

Being assertive allows you to channel your anger appropriately.

Being angry doesn't mean throwing things and stamping your feet like a 3 year old. That's aggression.

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Dec-22 22:05:42

Oh.

I couldn't possibly comment.

Yammy Wed 07-Dec-22 22:05:46

Dickens

Aveline

Is that a bad thing?

If women hadn't got angry we would still be the little wifey the goods and chattels of our husbands not allowed to inherit. No vote, no contraception not allowed to inherit, elder brothers always given preference.
Even the church vows were to obey.
Thank goodness they did get angry. If I had lived then I would have to.

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Dec-22 22:08:38

Yammy

Dickens

Aveline

Is that a bad thing?

If women hadn't got angry we would still be the little wifey the goods and chattels of our husbands not allowed to inherit. No vote, no contraception not allowed to inherit, elder brothers always given preference.
Even the church vows were to obey.
Thank goodness they did get angry. If I had lived then I would have to.

Yes.

It is a good thing if channelled properly.

As I posted above:
Anger directed positively can be a force for good

MawtheMerrier Wed 07-Dec-22 22:12:16

Or with hope of turning things around for the better, rather than sitting like puddings being covered with this mess?

How dare you or anybody describe us in the UK as puddings ?
This is interestingly but perhaps unsurprisingly close to the French characterisation quoted upthread. hmm

Volver speaks sense however and assertiveness and strength of character makes a lot more sense to me than dumping on the British population from a great height.

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Dec-22 22:19:30

Fleurpepper

MawtheMerrier

The country is in a real mess, with little hope of recovery- no surprise that many wish to express how they feel about this

destructive and negative? Or with hope of turning things around for the better, rather than sitting like puddings being covered with this mess? Being 'angry' can be a real force for the better and does imply hope and the will to move forwards and out of this mess. Nothing more destructive and negative than just sitting there, accepting it, imho.

Good grief!
sitting like puddings is that how you would describe women, including, I presume, yourself Fleurpepper?

Or do you mean men too - are you perhaps a man, Fleurpepper?

Would you like to elaborate, please.

crazyH Wed 07-Dec-22 22:23:53

“Sitting like puddings” - Bread and butter pudding or Xmas pudding ?

Joseanne Wed 07-Dec-22 22:25:40

Did you know the word pudding actually comes from the French word "boudin," which means those revolting sausages cooked inside an animal's intestine.

Wyllow3 Wed 07-Dec-22 22:25:51

I think women probably are: it depends what we do with it. As such, its not a "Bad" or "Good" emotion. its all about how and when we express it.

Is certainly good that what I grew up with, which was it was bad and unattractive for women to get angry, has changed. I still have great difficulties feeling it on personal issues: it led to me letting an abusive relationship happen: on political injustices it was a driving for to try and make things better.

Wyllow3 Wed 07-Dec-22 22:26:21

"driving force"

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Dec-22 22:27:00

crazyH

“Sitting like puddings” - Bread and butter pudding or Xmas pudding ?

Cheesecake!

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Dec-22 22:29:26

Joseanne

Did you know the word pudding actually comes from the French word "boudin," which means those revolting sausages cooked inside an animal's intestine.

Oh, I watched an episode of one of those food programmes, can't remember if it was Rick Stein or Stanley Tucci and they were stuffing lumpy offal into intestines, just revolting.

I'm more of a Pavlova myself.

MerylStreep Wed 07-Dec-22 22:53:35

At least we aren’t reliant on Russian gas like most European countries who sold their arses to the Russians.

nanna8 Wed 07-Dec-22 23:07:35

No. It has always been the same but now, because of social media, we hear more. Sometimes a load of rubbish but sometimes a grain of truth. I think most of our leaders have a dark side, if you like but we used to be a bit cringy as regards authority but that has shifted. I have learnt that, basically, you can’t trust any of them from any political party. I don’t feel angry, more resigned. I probably get a lot less angry now than I used to and if someone starts ripping someone else apart I just change the subject now. Don’t want to hear it. That, or I consider their mental health that they are so unpleasant and the same goes for the angry grannies I guess.

Kalu Wed 07-Dec-22 23:34:19

Many, mostly men confuse the word agressive to describe some women when they want to put an assertive woman in her place.

I am more mellow than I was around about my forties. Just don’t call me a pudding or class me as one s’il te plaît.

Boudin is revolting, Scottish black pudding though, is delicious. Even my French neighbours agreed on this one when tasting it at my house.