Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday 9th December 2022

(58 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 09-Dec-22 05:53:26

Good Morning Everyone,
Dar, dry and cold outside here in brackley this morning.
Today, my last trip to Bicester today until 20th of the month .
I have one more appointment at my local surgery when I return from my breaks , the Colonial nursing team have requested for me to have a B12 injection as to the anaemic side of things and not a iron infusion .
Take Care,
Mick

Marydoll Fri 09-Dec-22 08:12:56

Hope you manage your meet up, Grandamadinosaur and Shazza.
I love meeting the Glesca Grannies, its always a tonic!

GrannySomerset Fri 09-Dec-22 08:14:41

DSiL will be here later to collect me for a trip northwards as we are going to watch/hear DGD1 playing in a concert in Leeds on Sunday. DD lives in Liverpool so we are spending Saturday night in York, a sentimental pilgrimage for DD and me, and being joined for dinner by DD’s best friend and her mum. All very exciting so I had best get going with packing and making sure I have all the Christmas stuff I need to take with me. I haven’t been away since Easter so this is all quite a big thing.

Bitterly cold and I am not surprised that those less than well are struggling. Glad Marydoll managed to get her meds, though what a ludicrous struggle! Times like this when obstinacy and determination become life saving qualities. Keep warm.

BlueSapphire Fri 09-Dec-22 08:16:41

Urmston, be careful with the Negroni, it's lethal! Gin, Campari and red vermouth.... It's very good though......

NannyJan53 Fri 09-Dec-22 08:19:58

Good morning from a very frosty Black Country, where there has been a sprinkling of snow. Cars never defrosted yesterday at all. It is an absolutely clear sky with no clouds at the moment and it is -2.

I may go on the bus to Merry Hill shopping centre today, it only takes about 12 minutes, so not worth de-icing car. Just a few bits and bobs to get, as we only buy for the children in the family for Christmas now. I do have DD birthday on 18th December, and DS on 29th December!

Your boiler breaking down is the worst time possible baubles, fingers crossed it is sorted today.

Wishing you all a warm and safe Friday.

Kalu Fri 09-Dec-22 08:22:41

Good morning all from Glasgow and yes, hard frost and very cold again.

DD1 and I had a successful rummage around TKMaxx yesterday. We bought the same Ralph Lauren polo neck sweaters and I also had another RL lucky find, a lightweight 3/4 length light olive quilted coat at amazingly low costs. Result! Couldn’t resist buying just a few more Christmas decorations and then lunch at the nearby M&S food hall. I found it quite funny listening to her being in a panic about ensuring every last detail was covered building up to Christmas Day as I did for years. Now, I am very laid back about the whole event. Phew!
Beautiful trees GG.
I plan to start the enjoyable decorating bit today.

Best wishes to all for a good day ahead.

MawtheMerrier Fri 09-Dec-22 08:27:50

Good morning from half under the new, fluffy, warm duvet! When I took the old one off yesterday I realises it was a 4.5 tog summer weight- hence the need for the cashmere bed socks and the fleecy velour top over the pj's (and the dog)
I have youngest D's in laws to lunch today - spiced parsnip and carrot soup with kale crisps, bread,cheese and frangipane mince pies. So a bit of tidying up and hoovering are called for. With kind thoughts to all with health worries or sorrows or who are suffering because of the cold, keep safe, stay warm and I hope today is kind to you.

Kalu Fri 09-Dec-22 08:29:12

Pleased to hear you finally got your meds. Marydoll
Whenever you feel like a trip to TKMaxx, I would be happy to be your chauffeur for the day. 😄

Gingster Fri 09-Dec-22 08:30:15

Good morning all . Freezing here in Essex.
DGD at Uni in southampton is Ill with Covid-like symptoms but testing negative. I feel so sorry for her , being away from home , cold and poorly!

DS1 is Ill too and starts a new job on Monday 😢.
So much Illness about.

We had a beautiful walk along the river yesterday. Freezing cold but sunny. Lots of birds and a …. paddle boarder! Dh said ‘if he falls in, he’ll be a gonna’.

Sitting in the conservatory with a hot drink when we got home, was positively balmy! The sun had warmed it beautifully. No heating on.

Today - shop this morning and usual lunch with our Friday friends, sitting around a log fire. Lovely!

Lovely trees GG take it easy today . Try to have a nap before The Imp returns . 🥱😴.

Thank heavens you got your meds Marydoll. Everything is a battle isn’t it!

Take care all, no slipping over and keep warm and safe 💕

SunshineSally Fri 09-Dec-22 08:33:09

Good morning everyone from a chilly south Hants.
Need to do a food shop to tempt GD to eat as she’s not keen on eating in general but will be keeping it simple.
Only one more Christmas present left to buy - Amazon have been busy delivering!
I did get the admin done yesterday but it sadly didn’t stretch to card writing!! I am determined to get those Christmas cards done TODAY! I cannot leave them any longer!
On a good note I was able to get the food shop done for DFiL and DMiL Though I stupidly managed to catch the side of my car bumper on a sticky out bit and have managed to put a dent/hole in the side bumper… so spent the rest of the day beating myself up 😤 over it! DD has picked up Covid again (we had seen her the day before) and DS2 is being treated for 2xDVTs in his calf - both of which are far more important than a tin box on wheels!
Have the best day you can everyone. Thinking of those with worries or in pain 🦩🦩🦩.
Hugs and 💐 for you all x

Sar53 Fri 09-Dec-22 08:33:38

Good morning from a very grey, misty and frosty Essex by the sea. No sun this morning so it looks cold out there.

Hopefully we will get our hall floor finished today, just the edges to do.

This evening we are going to the Yacht Club, everyone has to wear a Christmas jumper. I found a black one with a large sparkly star on it, I hope they have the heating on.

I won't be around tomorrow morning as I am off early on the train to London to meet up with two daughters and four granddaughters for lunch and a visit to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. It will be lovely to see them. Only my youngest granddaughter will be missing. At nearly five her mum thought it would be too busy for her.
It's a shame I will miss the football but this had been planned way before we knew that England would be playing tomorrow.

Have a lovely day everyone, keep warm and safe xxx

ginny Fri 09-Dec-22 08:34:55

Good morning all. White cars here in N Bucks too.
I’m off to Suffolk for a couple of night with DDs 1&2. It will be ccccold but we can wrap up or keep warm Indios chatting or playing games.
Hoping DH will get the Christmas tree out and ready for decorating on Monday.
Lovely to read about all the trips, outings and meet ups but sad to hear of illness and other struggles .
Wishing all a good day.

Urmstongran Fri 09-Dec-22 08:47:58

Nope, no heating on here yet dragonfly! This big room faces south and although Alexa tells me it’s -3°C outside, I’m sat on the sofa bathed in warm sunshine.

monk08 Fri 09-Dec-22 08:53:08

Good morning all from the Black country, it's a bit warmer today only -2°.
Well the trees up ready for when family come for lunch Sunday, just need some chocolates for it.
Over to our friends in Redditch this evening.
Will now grab a cuppa 🍵 and catch up with everybody's happenings already 36 posts.
Enjoy your Friday and may you all find some 🌞.

dragonfly46 Fri 09-Dec-22 08:57:34

Can we all move in with you Urms? 😀

Ziplok Fri 09-Dec-22 09:00:47

Good morning. We have a keen frost again this morning but no snow just yet (though we had some sleety showers briefly last night).
Your trees look lovely GG. Ours are up and will be decorated today. Yes, it certainly is beginning to look a lot like Christmas 🎵😁.
Not sure what else we plan to do today, but I doubt we’ll be going very far.
Only flicked through the posts so far, will now go back and read them properly. Hope you all have a good Friday.

Urmstongran Fri 09-Dec-22 09:01:16

Ha! Yes of course dragonfly! And we can all spend our heating allowances on negronis. They sound potent Blue no wonder someone recommended I try one tonight!

EkwaNimitee Fri 09-Dec-22 09:01:56

Good morning Mick and everyone from bright-ish Carlisle. It was -4C at 8am and won't get much warmer I think. Grey clouds keep drifting over so I expect more snow showers like yesterday afternoon.
The doctor phoned me back quite early and prescribed antibiotics so I had to pop into town late morning to collect them. I thought my uncovered ears would drop off with the cold! I wonder if you should go out when it's really cold Ashcombe. You can wrap up well but can't stop the freezing air getting in your lungs.
Today, a bit of bathroom cleaning then admin then the time's my own. I shall probably plough on with the final book of my 'quinology'. Each book has been very long. According to the author, she spent around 13 years researching the background history. It's all coming out in the books, in great detail!
What I'm not doing is poking my nose outside, that can wait until a bit of shopping tomorrow.

Have a good day all.

hulahoop Fri 09-Dec-22 09:29:44

Good morning from a frosty West York's. May put tree up later I can't seem to get into a Christmas mood ,I have a can't be bothered mood on . Hope everyone has a good day.

madeleine45 Fri 09-Dec-22 09:36:41

good morning everyone,
It has been good to read all your posts and catch up as I have been away for a short time. Came back on monday pm to no hot water as the boiler boiled up too much and I switched it off and then it wont go back on so am still stuck boiling kettles etc as havent been able to find a plumber that will come and look at it. So a pile of washing waiting to be done, stuff to sort out but at least have radiators and can keep reasonably warm, as they are not connected to the boiler. Am just not thinking about the cost at present as it is so very cold here in north yorks and of course the boiler provided some heat in the airing cupboard and hall so that is freezing at the moment. I am sort of holed up, keeping warm in one room with dashes out to cold kitchen to make drinks and food! Hope I can get someone soon. Physically am not doing well with back and knees very bad and being away made me have to accept that this is how things are. Have been telling myself it is just too much standing or baking or whatever, but wasnt doing that and still in a lot of pain, so am going to have to bite the bullet and try and buy a second hand buggy to get about in. However I do feel much better mentally, which is far more important, so am grateful for that and have begun going through paperwork and chucking stuff out and shredding things. Should have started this months ago but better late than never.Now down to some practising christmas music and getting organised for concerts. Am waiting for the frost to go off the grass a bit and hope it will be a bit safer to walk on the pavements a bit later. Have to get a few essentials but will be taking greatest care possible as with the nhs situation dont want to have a fall. Hope everyone has a good day and lovely to have the group to come back to . Good wishes

luluaugust Fri 09-Dec-22 09:37:58

Good morning all from a frosty W Kent. Supermarket this morning and GC care this afternoon. Very good Christmas lunch with the art group yesterday at the local training college and I was able to buy a small Christmas cake made by the students. Glad you got your meds Marydoll what a carry on!
Best wishes to all

Greyduster Fri 09-Dec-22 09:55:09

A late good morning, Michael and all GNs from a very cold South Yorkshire. A hard frost last night. Nothing exciting going on at Duster Towers. I slept little yet again. I don’t know how long I can sustain this. I have a wound check at the surgery this morning (the highlight of my social calendar), and have to get my gammy leg in and out of DD’s car which I am not looking forward to, but needs must. SiL and GS are coming over for a roast dinner this evening. I have just been trying to explain what sized piece of meat she should buy (she’s a vegetarian!). It’s difficult when you are used to judging that sort of thing by eye. I haven’t seen my GS for a couple of weeks so that will be something to look forward to for me and for DD who hasn’t seen him either since she has been on nursing duty here. DS is taking over from her tomorrow.
Pitt I have visions of your DH fishing through the night! He’s a tough cookie! I’m glad our season doesn’t start until April!
Have the best day you can folks.

ShazzaKanazza Fri 09-Dec-22 09:56:10

Good Morning madeleine lovely to have you back. Fingers crossed you can get a plumber quickly🤞 Hope you can keep yourself warm in the meantime.

There are some lovely family outings and meet ups over the next few days so safe journey to you and hope you have a lovely time. 🎄

Marydoll so pleased you have your meds x

Urmstongran Fri 09-Dec-22 09:57:50

Oh Madeleine45 I really do feel for you in this cold snap with no hot water. I hope you can get your boiler fixed very soon.

This photo is from yesterday. Residents in Egton, North Yorks, were forced to get out their shovels to clear the roads to keep traffic moving yesterday as icy conditions spread across the country.

It just reminds some of us what others are experiencing right now.
Brr!

Nannagarra Fri 09-Dec-22 10:00:14

Good morning from icy Sefton where hail stones are raining down. It is treacherous underfoot.
Staying in and keeping dry are top of our list today. Mr Busy is due to come and play. He is keen on racquet sports, shows considerable aptitude, so some table tennis bats are pending in a basket, awaiting checkout. Hopefully when they arrive my silicone spatulas will be released from his toy box!
A good result Marydoll. Sending best wishes to everyone.
🌲 ❄️ 🌲

Taichinan Fri 09-Dec-22 10:05:47

Good morning all. It's a bonny morning on the Angus coast. The snow has all gone (except for over the hills) and it's 2°. In town yesterday it was perishing - minus goodness knows what with chill factor. The hall where we do our tai chi was lovely and warm though - we were reluctant to leave!
Are those books you are reading Lucinda Riley's Seven Sisters series Ekwa? If so I'm sure you're enjoying them!
So glad you got your meds at long last Marydoll - that must be such a relief.
And I'm glad to hear your divorce papers have been signed Wyllow
Lovely Christmas trees Grannygravy.
Today I am going to have a 'stand back and re-group' sort of day while I take stock of what's done and what's still to be done. As I shall be away over Christmas and New Year I have it easier than most - but the number of gifts required is a little mind-boggling, especially when you factor in no fewer than five birthdays amongst us all!
Have a good day everyone x