Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you want to live forever?

(128 Posts)
GrannySeaside51 Tue 24-Jan-23 11:13:27

An article on the radio this morning discussed the possibility of inventing a pill whereby you could live forever. I certainly wouldn’t want to, even if it guaranteed fitness and health.

Smileless2012 Tue 24-Jan-23 11:16:18

Not unless everyone I loved lived for ever too, and even then perhaps not.

Blossoming Tue 24-Jan-23 11:17:40

No.

Charleygirl5 Tue 24-Jan-23 11:24:20

Definitely not but I would like an inkling of when that event will take place!

Shinamae Tue 24-Jan-23 11:27:18

I do have a fear of dying, but I would not want to live forever

Witzend Tue 24-Jan-23 11:28:03

Goodness, no. Now and then, when I see the way the world is going, on the whole I’m glad I (probably) won’t be here in 20 years. My mother made that great age with 2 years on top, but she’d had advanced dementia for some years by then - a fate far worse than death IMO.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-Jan-23 11:31:17

No. I think it would become incredibly boring. Remember the Highlander films?

Alioop Tue 24-Jan-23 11:31:17

When I was younger I always said I would love to live forever, but now no thanks.

EkwaNimitee Tue 24-Jan-23 11:34:09

It would be a curse, wouldn’t it? But I would really like to reach 120-130 years in robust mental and physical health. The world is a very interesting place even if it seems to be worryingly and rapidly going downhill at the moment. Plus I’ve still got a lot of books to read!

Forlornhope Tue 24-Jan-23 11:34:16

We all go on forever in our descendants DNA (directly or indirectly) unless there is a complete apocalypse wiping us all out.

Grantanow Tue 24-Jan-23 11:37:09

According to the religious God lives forever and that doesn't seem to worry him/her/it.

Tweedle24 Tue 24-Jan-23 11:38:15

No, thank you, I have lost too many loved ones already. I agree with Smileless12012, but I would like to keep my good health too and that of those around me.

Just a thought about possible consequences - would babies still be born? How long before the world is too full to support them all. It is struggling, somewhat unsuccessfully now!

MrsKen33 Tue 24-Jan-23 12:14:32

Only if I could have stopped at 35 and then carried on like that.

Betterlatethannever Tue 24-Jan-23 12:18:16

Shinamae

I do have a fear of dying, but I would not want to live forever

This

M0nica Tue 24-Jan-23 13:52:10

How could the world cope with providing enough food, clothe, shelter and fuel etc to keep the ever burgeoning population going?

We would end with young people being unable to have children, there would have to be no retirement age and we would need to work until.....when?

The current global warming crisis is caused, at least partly by our burgeoning world population. This is now not caused by excess births, but increased longevity.

Today it was in the news that the Japanes government is almost begging its young people to have children because so many of the population are old and getting even older.

Now, there are many economic and social reasons why this is happening in Japan, but put those aside. If you want to know what a world where old people make up a very large proportion of the population, and the young a much smaller proportion looks like and how it affects the economy then look at Japan.

Do I want to live forever - no. But I do not want to know when I will die eiher, at least not long-term. What I do want to do is live as healthy and active a life as I can until one day I do not wake up.

Fleurpepper Tue 24-Jan-23 13:52:43

No, nature is cyclical, that is good and how it should be.

Oreo Tue 24-Jan-23 13:56:01

Yes! It would be exciting to see all the advances that are made in technology and medical science for a start.That’s assuming our families would also live forever and our friends.
Think of all the books we could read, drama to watch and music to listen to.Time to try our hands at so many things, hobbies and so on.

Norah Tue 24-Jan-23 14:02:48

No. A few more healthy married years would be lovely.

I don't prefer to be a widow.

I don't prefer to quit traveling or skiing, biking, walking - but when I'm no longer fit, going home to Heaven will be lovely.

AGAA4 Tue 24-Jan-23 14:08:28

If a small number of selected people who have varying skills could live forever that would be a good thing. Generation after generation could gain from their knowledge. I wouldn't want to be one of them though.

Oreo Tue 24-Jan-23 14:09:03

How do we know which way we are heading tho, after death
Norah ? 😄

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-Jan-23 14:09:56

Beautifully put, Norah.

Oreo Tue 24-Jan-23 14:10:10

I bake some good cakes AGAA4 would that count?

MayBee70 Tue 24-Jan-23 14:14:06

I listened to a podcast about this a few weeks ago. It was a lecture given by the man who was doing research into this. I think he tried to explain that it would eliminate the years of having a downward spiral in health and pointed out how much that costs. I’ll see if I can find the lecture he gave but I don’t think I made a note of it ( it followed on from another podcast I’d been listening to). I’m not scientifically minded enough to understand most of what he as talking about other than his explanation that the things that can make us live longer also cause cancer ie cells continuing to grow and that is what has to be prevented. He did a Q&A are the end that addressed the morality of it.

AGAA4 Tue 24-Jan-23 14:18:27

Oreo

I bake some good cakes AGAA4 would that count?

Definitely Oreo my number one choice.

Kate1949 Tue 24-Jan-23 14:30:30

I find life pretty traumatic so no I don't want to live for ever.