Gransnet forums

Chat

Plants that go wild

(105 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 26-Jan-23 02:37:23

I’m not talking about weeds but actual plants that almost become weeds . For us it is agapanthus ( which are actually classed as a weed in some parts of Australia) montbretias - just pulled out dozens of them, and that rotten tradescantia . Not to mention ivy and periwinkle and lemon balm which seems to be able to pop up just about anywhere, even in the garden waste. I wouldn’t mind the lemon balm so much but it gets very leggy and domineering.

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 17:20:30

I've given up with celandines in the lawn, Diggingdoris, I just leave them to flower with a splash of yellow each spring then they die back. However, I do try to dig them out of the borders, not easy.

Good name for this thread, btw 🙂

Diggingdoris Tue 31-Jan-23 16:41:43

I forgot to mention celandines. I've just spent an afternoon bagging up leaves to make mulch, and on looking round the borders I thought 'What on earth is that covering almost the whole 3ft width'? Then I realised that the 3 small clumps I planted 2 years ago had spread like mad through the winter. I admit they are lovely when they bloom, but blimey they take over!

Magrithea Mon 30-Jan-23 12:59:01

Feverfew and foxgloves which self seed all over the place. Mind you, they do make a pretty display in early summer. Also Aqualegia - I've got a bag full of seed and sprinkled loads more as I pulled out last year's dead ones!

Callistemon21 Mon 30-Jan-23 12:40:14

I suppose if someone has half an acre or so it's fine but if it's a small suburban garden some control needs to be taken.

I remember working very hard in our garden before MIL came to stay once, she had a wander around, nodded approvingly and said "I like a bit of a wild garden" 😁

The worst thing, I find, is the mat-like lesser trefoil which does smother a lawn and stops any other prettier lawn weeds growing. I used to sit with a fork and trowel, getting it out but can't be bothered now.

Bindweed is a nuisance too because it strangles everything and the roots are difficult to get out.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 09:52:05

I know, I know- the case for the yellow loosestrife, for sure! But violets, how can violets smowther everything else.

Just don't get it. Muscari will be there for a few weeks, then leave space for everything else, and provide a magnificent source of early nectar for bees. Same with snowdrops and galanthus ...

I live in a very old house in a rural setting, so being tolerant fits in with our place- but it is true and honest to say I find some posts above beyond sad. Especially when the Roundup comes out!

Sometimes I really do feel I live on a different planet (and I am glad about it).

Callistemon21 Mon 30-Jan-23 09:33:43

MaizieD

You can just have too much of a good thing, Fleurpepper. 😁

Especially when it smothers everything else and the more delicate plants disappear.

So far the violets, which only appeared a couple of years ago, have stayed in the lawn but I wouldn't mind it if they grew in the rockery but they won't.

nanna8 Mon 30-Jan-23 09:28:12

Oxalis is the absolute worst of the lot. I detest the stuff. I even resorted to weed killer for it a couple of times but it survived. It leaves a nasty , evil little bulb behind when you pull it up

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 09:19:09

Well yes ... but ...

I mean, violets? Where are they growing that is such a disaster. I have some come up in the lawn (grass...) and it is wonderful. I also have some spiked rapunzel- a flower which is revered in SE England as they only have a few left, and they are highly protected by the RHS and local societies.

A pristine lawn is so boring and such a waste of space, is my opinion.

Give away, or pot them up and sell for your favourite charity. And think yourself so so lucky that those wonderful plants have chosen you.

MaizieD Mon 30-Jan-23 08:42:15

You can just have too much of a good thing, Fleurpepper. 😁

Esmay Mon 30-Jan-23 08:36:18

I forgot about Arum Italicum - once a much appreciated plant in the right corner of the garden - it has spread into the flower beds .

As the soil isn't frozen at the moment I spent two hours digging it up yesterday and there's a lot more to do .

Pink Anemones are prolific , but not the white ones in the garden .

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 08:27:05

oh, and violets? Makes me cry. Why would anyone not love violets spreading?

Perhaps some here who want to get rid would be prepared to send some of your unwanted to those who would love some.

hereshoping Mon 30-Jan-23 07:10:32

Violets.
I had some in a pot that I inherited from my mother 20 years ago.
No trouble in my original house or previous house, the never even flowered.
We moved here six years ago and they jumped out of the pot, started flowering and spread thoughout the garden.
At first they were easy to pull up and, I though how sweet, a last present from my mum.
Then I realised how hard they were to remove once they got deeper rooted and how far they had spread.
I spent most of last year digging them up, and eventually resorted to widespread use of weedkiller and spraying every little new shoot that kept appearing. Had to abandon any idea of growing anything else.

Fleurpepper Sun 29-Jan-23 20:45:08

how can anyone complain of too many cyclamen, snowdrops and muscari??? Makes me very sad, I have to say.

Fleurpepper Sun 29-Jan-23 20:38:23

love your gardening name Doris smile

yes, yellow loosestrife is a bit of a bu**er! But it flowers anywhere and for months and months. so wonderful for far and dark corners.

Diggingdoris Sun 29-Jan-23 20:24:22

Thugs in my garden are muscari.
Oxalis
Lemon balm
Wild geranium
Yellow loosestrife.
They keep me busy digging when they appear in unwanted places.
Erigeron and feverfew do the same but they are easily pulled up, and I love anything that's a daisy.
I learnt long ago not to plant mint in the garden, so I have three types in pots by the back door ready for my mint tea.
I wish I could grow lily of the valley. Tried four times and have given up now. Similar problem with Japanese anemones. Had five different varieties but only a white one just about hanging on giving me one stem of flowers each year. We have clay soil so maybe that is the cause.

sweetcakes Sun 29-Jan-23 19:18:23

Stachys byzantina (Lamb's ears)
Spreads everywhere I have tried to keep a handle on it but it's sprouting now in everyone else's garden Oooops

Shizam Sun 29-Jan-23 19:17:27

Lady’s mantle, alchemellia mollis, think is proper name. It’s somehow jumped from back garden to front, And is a pain.

Azalea99 Sun 29-Jan-23 18:10:57

Several of those mentioned above but my particular garden monster is cyclamen. They smother everything!

Julest Sun 29-Jan-23 18:02:05

Juliet27

^Lily of the valley gets rampant and invasive^
If only mine would survive! I’m hoping my grape hyacinths will become invasive!!

Yes! I want my grape hyacinth to become invasive too 💕 not even one extra flower in 5 years 😂

knspol Sun 29-Jan-23 16:58:23

Houttuynia! Bought one plant a few years ago, dug it up at the end of that year and I'm still finding new bits of it at least 4 yrs later. As for agapanthus plants I just wish I could keep one, have tried them in most spots in the garden but think the rabbits must really like them.

Fleurpepper Sun 29-Jan-23 16:40:51

Fernhillnana

Comfrey. A friend gave me a small clump and it would cover the garden if it could.

great accelerator for the compost

Callistemon21 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:24:47

springishere

Love the agapanthus and have been trying to grow them for years, but they never flower. How do you do it all? I am more upset that the frost has killed five of my cordyline which were so pretty.

I've been told that agapanthus like to have their roots restricted.

springishere Sun 29-Jan-23 16:16:28

Love the agapanthus and have been trying to grow them for years, but they never flower. How do you do it all? I am more upset that the frost has killed five of my cordyline which were so pretty.

Fernhillnana Sun 29-Jan-23 16:01:01

Comfrey. A friend gave me a small clump and it would cover the garden if it could.

missdeke Sun 29-Jan-23 15:41:29

Periwinkle and muscari run riot in my garden, I've dug up dozens ans dozens of muscari but still they reappear. The periwinkle has even started choking the honeysuckle out of existence.