Gransnet forums

Chat

Eventful Day…..told to f*** off

(104 Posts)
Kateykrunch Sun 29-Jan-23 13:37:51

In our local Town today, in a shop and passing behind a young man (30’s), so I could pass behind him, I said, breath in, he didnt move, so I thought he hadn’t heard me, so a bit louder I said excuse me, still no response, so I squidched past him, but tutted, he never moved, but told me to not f***ing tut at him and he had a really intimidating rant at me. Honestly, I thought I was being friendly saying breath in and my tut was a bit involuntary (perhaps his f***ing and ranting was as well). But, for a good few minutes I felt really scared and definitely wished I hadnt said anything. Its getting horrible ‘out there’ and could easily scare you into staying in, but after about 10 minutes or so, I felt less scared. Just need to get the event off my chest, thanks for reading.

effalump Wed 01-Feb-23 15:19:08

I hate to say it but the current child-rearing way of letting them do as they please without any discipline is leading to disrespectful young people. I think that's what we used to refer to a 'molly-coffling'. That's apart from the fact that a lot of youngsters would like older relatives to roll over and die so they can get their inheritence faster. I'd be tempted to leave my money to animal santuaries.

magshard20 Wed 01-Feb-23 11:13:12

On a visit to Nottingham a few years ago, walked through a shopping centre with OH, came to an exit, so opened door to walk through and a woman walked towards the door from the other side, I stepped back and said "sorry" to which she replied in an eastern european voice " sorry, you will be sorry b**ch" and stormed through. Must say it took me a while to recover, and the exit lead to nowhere so had to go back into the centre, but was wary about bumping into her her!! Both me and OH were pleased to get outside again.

VioletSky Tue 31-Jan-23 18:26:38

Phew

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 18:14:57

VioletSky

Thank you to everyone who agrees with you?

No…Thankyou to everyone.

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 18:12:21

Hithere

What if the person doesn't live in that area and is not familiar with "breath in"

To me, it sounds a little bit aggressive
"Excuse me" is more appropriate and universally understood

Well the person obviously did live in the area! But again, thank you for your input.

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 18:03:39

KateyKrunch said Thank you all

it was cathartic to write it down and hear all your views and experiences.

Using the word all seems to make it quite clear that she is thanking everyone for their views.

VioletSky Tue 31-Jan-23 18:00:23

Thank you to everyone who agrees with you?

Hithere Tue 31-Jan-23 17:06:32

What if the person doesn't live in that area and is not familiar with "breath in"

To me, it sounds a little bit aggressive
"Excuse me" is more appropriate and universally understood

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 16:54:42

Again, thank you for your comments and I am so sorry that some of you have had really distressing episodes and also for taking on board the ‘breath in’ comment is not a degoratory comment in the slightest, it was said to a Man of normal build. My comment would have been tailored to reflect who I was speaking to. The aside was meant to be a friendly comment and it is detailed in my opening post that it was my Tutt in passing behind him, that caused his outrage. In any case, I have got over it, I was scared for 10 mins or so and it was cathartic to write it down and hear all your views and experiences. Thank you all. 💐

jocork Tue 31-Jan-23 11:26:39

AreWeThereYet

LRavenscroft We seem to have two different types of mobility scooter rider in our nearby town. One lady is infinitely polite, stops for people to pass in front of her, drives slowly, always has a smile. Another is infinitely loud, aggressive and pushy, yelling 'Stay out of my way. I am disabled you know. Make way for me' at everyone who dares to walk near her.

If someone shouted that they were disabled to me I would respond with "I'm disabled too but I don't shout about it!"

My disability doesn't affect my mobility but I have no patience for entitled people.

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 11:16:36

Alioop

Yes it was shocking way to lose my mum, just someone rushing and not caring about others *Yoginimeisje. Thanks for your kind words and yours too pascal30.

I'm shocked to read that, Alioop, what a dreadful thing to happen and an awful way to lose your Mum. flowers

People seem to be so impatient and less caring now, inconsiderate and impatient of others who might not be as speedy as them.
Reading the other thread made me sad.

Sasta Tue 31-Jan-23 11:08:13

Me too Yoginimeisje, and it’s lovely when you see little ones doing it too, learning from their adults who waved thanks.

Alioop Tue 31-Jan-23 11:07:07

Yes it was shocking way to lose my mum, just someone rushing and not caring about others *Yoginimeisje. Thanks for your kind words and yours too pascal30.

ParlorGames Tue 31-Jan-23 11:01:23

I bet his mother would be so proud! What disgusting behaviour and something that I have also experienced many times. I hope you are ok now Katie?

Sasta Tue 31-Jan-23 10:55:56

Shame, there’s a lot of it about. Nothing to do with bad language, but a few years ago I was walking through a car park behind four young lads. They were eating chips and one just threw all his wrapping over his shoulder when he finished. I picked it up, screwed in a bag and called him ‘excuse me, I think you dropped something’. I can’t think why I did it without even thinking, it could have got nasty. He turned and said oh thanks, and took it off me nicely. Yikes. Wouldn’t dare do it again, I think.

Yoginimeisje Tue 31-Jan-23 09:54:32

I always say thank you when I cross on a crossing, it's just polite and nice.

Yoginimeisje Tue 31-Jan-23 09:11:47

Alioop

A woman pushed past my mum, who was coming out of toilets in a shopping centre and my mum fell and hit her head on the tiled wall. She died 2 weeks later with a bleed on her brain. Other people stopped to help my mum, the woman who knocked her over rushed on, ignoring her lying there.

Oh, my goodness, I'm so sorry Alioop flowers

Dickens Tue 31-Jan-23 09:00:22

Mogsmaw

queenofsaanich69

What amazes me is how people seemed to have stopped nodding or waving thank you when they cross the road in front of a car on zebra crossings,where have manners gone ?

Why is this manners. Drivers are LEGALLY OBLIGATED to allow pedestrians to cross at zebra crossings. Why should they be thanked for not mowing you down.
Incidentally they are also required to let pedestrians cross at all times now, not that you would ever know. I’ve a physio appointment tomorrow and I’ll have to allow 30 mins to cross the busy road as that what it has taken in the past. Every driver whissing past is braking the traffic law.

I'm pleased you pointed that out!

Motorists are supposed to give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing - it is their right of way across the road, not a privilege bestowed on them by drivers for goodness' sake!

If a driver stops on an unmarked part of the road to let you cross because he can see you waiting to do so, that's the time to say "thank you" and reciprocate the courtesy, but not on a pedestrian crossing.

Oldwoman70 Tue 31-Jan-23 07:21:23

Leaving the supermarket a little while ago a man engrossed on his phone walked into me. He started being abusive and amongst other things telling me that at my age I shouldn't be allowed out! At that point a young man, a total stranger to me, walked up and quietly said to him "I suggest you stop talking now". The man immediately backed off and walked away. I thanked the young man and he just smiled, asked if I was OK and then continued on his way

Grammaretto Tue 31-Jan-23 01:13:55

I have had my share of rudeness, especially on the bus and roadrage but I just need to say that this morning I was leaving Lidl with heavy bags and a veg box and a youngish man offered to carry my bags!
When I said I was walking home and not to a car, he laughed and said "oh no sorry" but I was still pleased by his offer. There are still kind folk out there

biglouis Tue 31-Jan-23 00:13:46

I often used to lash back and confront people when I was younger and more mobile. As a couple of posters have stated, when you are in teaching you learn a particular "tone" of voice to control others. Now that I have my shopping delivered and only go out by car/taxi I try to avoid public places and crowded situations. I dont want to give them headspace.

Mogsmaw Tue 31-Jan-23 00:06:38

queenofsaanich69

What amazes me is how people seemed to have stopped nodding or waving thank you when they cross the road in front of a car on zebra crossings,where have manners gone ?

Why is this manners. Drivers are LEGALLY OBLIGATED to allow pedestrians to cross at zebra crossings. Why should they be thanked for not mowing you down.
Incidentally they are also required to let pedestrians cross at all times now, not that you would ever know. I’ve a physio appointment tomorrow and I’ll have to allow 30 mins to cross the busy road as that what it has taken in the past. Every driver whissing past is braking the traffic law.

NannyEm Mon 30-Jan-23 23:47:09

Wow
I never knew all the words to that song. My Mum and Dad just sang the first 2 lines and the last line. I always thought it was about the colour of someone's beautiful eyes

Shinamae Mon 30-Jan-23 22:50:54

Callistemon21

VioletSky

Also breath in is daft anyway, you would have to be breathe out to become smaller surely

Not me!
Breathe out and relax .....

I agree with being careful nowadays, you just never know.

No, breathe in to become smaller ..

Callistemon21 Mon 30-Jan-23 22:23:51

VioletSky

Also breath in is daft anyway, you would have to be breathe out to become smaller surely

Not me!
Breathe out and relax .....

I agree with being careful nowadays, you just never know.