Gransnet forums

Chat

Tar in a jar

(180 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 30-Jan-23 09:35:01

DH and I were discussing the weird and wonderful treatments we were given as children. We remember cod liver oil (foul even when mixed with orange juice), Linctus, Beecham's Powders, my grandma gave me a drag of her cigarette if I had a cough to 'clear my chest', bicarbonate of soda, kaolin and morphine, warm lemonade when we'd vomited, and tar in a jar.

We've wracked our brains as to what tar in a jar really was. It was foul tasting and was, maybe, some type of tonic. We think it was some sort of malt mixture but aren't sure.

Does anyone remember it and/or know what it was?

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Jan-23 10:07:18

Oh yes Squiffy, Parrish's Food after an illness "to build me up", and maddyone I'd forgotten Delrosa.

I love this thread. Lots of memories.

joannapiano Mon 30-Jan-23 10:07:54

As a child I had permanent constipation as we had no bathroom and a loo in the garden. I was given Petrolager , not sure of spelling. It was nice, like a thick yoghurt.

cathieb Mon 30-Jan-23 10:17:14

I remember all these and the names bring a comforting feeling! It was Gee’s Linctus, and I think Petrolagar was also known as Liquid paraffin for constipation, as was Syrup of Figs. Dr Collins Brown’s Mixture I remember fondly from hitching round the Greek Islands, getting an’upset stomach’ and enjoying the effects of its morphine content. Sadly no longer available.

Kateykrunch Mon 30-Jan-23 10:17:47

Does anyone remember Parrigarick (not sure on spelling), it was a liquid taken in a little warm water, it was lovely!, although I think it was banned in the 60’s.
I loved Rosehip Syrup as well.
Beechams Powders made me cough.

Grandma70s Mon 30-Jan-23 10:24:35

Syrup of Figs was delicious! As was rosehip syrup.

My father had a duodenal ulcer, and had something called Benger’s. I think it was an easily digested food. Anyone remember that?

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Jan-23 10:25:49

People did become addicted to Dr Collis Brown's Mixture which was kaolin and morphine. I had a Saturday job in a chemist's and we used to have a little old lady who came in regularly until the pharmacist told us we had to refuse her. (Well, she seemed old to me when I was only 15!)

Granny23 Mon 30-Jan-23 10:30:21

As a child living in a village with a distillery, I was practically brought up on Malt. A spoonful every morning and Malt Loaf & other baked goodies at Tea Time. Also loaves baked daily to 'test the Yeast'. We were also advised to take deep breaths when passing the Distillery or any newly laid tar.

With a dairy farm across the road, an honorary Aunt who kept hens and our own huge fruit and veg garden, we must have been the best fed kids during WW2 rationing.

NotSpaghetti Mon 30-Jan-23 10:30:25

I must have been a strange child as I liked Milk of Magnesia and Beechams Powders. I liked the smell of calamine lotion too.
Kaolin and morphine was always effective it seemed as well!
grin

Riverwalk Mon 30-Jan-23 10:33:37

Vampire it was Ichthammol and it's a skin preparation so you certainly shouldn't have been tasting it!

I used to have it put on my scraped scabby knees smile

annsixty Mon 30-Jan-23 10:39:00

Was anyone else tortured with Fenning’s Fever Cure?
It was the worst thing I think I have ever tasted.
I quite enjoyed having a sore throat as I was given butter, sugar and vinegar beaten together and eaten off the spoon , I loved and it cured the sore throat.
I used to have earache quite a lot and had a small boiled onion put in my ear and then a scarf wrapped round it to keep it in.
Sometimes it was a little too hot and had to be removed.
Also my mother used to slice up a swede, put a layer of sugar between the slices and in a day or so a syrup would form which was taken for coughs.
I think Minadex had iron in it.

NotSpaghetti Mon 30-Jan-23 10:39:11

Collis Brown's contained morphine when I was young and through my student years.
Expect it doesn't any more.

The original recipe was a mixture of laudanum (an alcoholic solution of opium), tincture of cannabis, and chloroform, it readily lived up to its claims of relieving pain, as a sedative, and for the treatment of diarrhea. (Wikki)

annsixty Mon 30-Jan-23 10:41:26

Sorry, to answer the OP, I loved Cod liver oil and malt and Virol.

NotSpaghetti Mon 30-Jan-23 10:42:51

Sparklefizz and Cathieb missed your mentions of morphine - went away mid-comment. Apologies.

midgey Mon 30-Jan-23 10:51:33

Scott’s Emulsion was delicious, also malt…yum! I think I had Kepler’s malt.
I do remember the cattle having treacle being allowed to try it when it was first opened, another lovely taste.

NotSpaghetti Mon 30-Jan-23 10:55:18

Syrup of Marshmallow with olive oil and rum.
Yum!

NotSpaghetti Mon 30-Jan-23 10:56:41

The smell of Germolene in its little tin...

Aveline Mon 30-Jan-23 11:06:00

Germoline!

LRavenscroft Mon 30-Jan-23 11:08:23

We were given rose hip syrup and haliborange tablets. Not too bad.

Greyduster Mon 30-Jan-23 11:16:14

I remember chlorodyne and paregoric Katie. My mother used to send me to the chemist for it - not sure what it was for. Some sort of cough medicine?

Poppyred Mon 30-Jan-23 11:21:33

My ‘mamgu’ always had a tin of TCP pastilles in her apron pocket, I loved them.

Cressida Mon 30-Jan-23 11:32:54

I think it was called Malt Extract if it didn't have cod liver oil. I loved it.

Did anyone else get paid for rosehips? We had to take them to school and were paid according to how many we'd collected.

Lexisgranny Mon 30-Jan-23 11:33:00

Senna pod tea…………absolutely disgusting! It was forced on me on the first Sunday in every month, the pods having been soaked in water all night. The dreaded cup was octagonal in shape and sat in a delicate saucer, maybe this was to fool me into thinking it was to be a pleasant experience. It’s purpose was to ‘keep me regular’ whether I needed it or not. When you add goose lard vest, I wonder what I did as a child to deserve all this.

Shelflife Mon 30-Jan-23 11:57:58

I remember the large jar of malt and cod liver oil. It was dark brown and viscous - very sticky and I loved it! Mum gave me and my siblings a huge spoonful in winter before we walked to primary school in deep snow!!

Callistemon21 Mon 30-Jan-23 12:13:43

MiniMoon

Yes Sparklefizz, Minadex was nasty stuff. 🤢

I bought that when I was pregnant, a recommendation from the midwife. I think it's iron.
Funnily enough, I didn't mind it.

The jar was cod liver oil and malt, better than pure cod liver oil.
We had strong orange juice in small bottles too.

I remember going to the Clinic with my mother where all these were given out free because there was still rationing then and children might not be getting all the nutrients they needed.

Callistemon21 Mon 30-Jan-23 12:14:43

better than pure cod liver oil
Better tasting, I mean.

I'm sure I had cod liver oil too, probably got a double dose!