Gransnet forums

Chat

Tar in a jar

(180 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 30-Jan-23 09:35:01

DH and I were discussing the weird and wonderful treatments we were given as children. We remember cod liver oil (foul even when mixed with orange juice), Linctus, Beecham's Powders, my grandma gave me a drag of her cigarette if I had a cough to 'clear my chest', bicarbonate of soda, kaolin and morphine, warm lemonade when we'd vomited, and tar in a jar.

We've wracked our brains as to what tar in a jar really was. It was foul tasting and was, maybe, some type of tonic. We think it was some sort of malt mixture but aren't sure.

Does anyone remember it and/or know what it was?

twiglet77 Wed 08-Feb-23 22:35:40

GoldenEye ointment is still available (chloramphenicol). I get it online but pharmacies probably stock it. I’ve used it on cats, chickens and rabbits, as well as children!

Sparklefizz Thu 09-Feb-23 07:31:14

Supergranuation

Sparklefizz I found them! Just did a Google search and there they were! ☺️ They were iron tablets amongst other things, probably made me constipated so I was given something weird for that as well!! 😂

I learn something every day! Thanks Superganuation
I see the advert even claims they cure paralysis!!

MayBee70 Thu 09-Feb-23 10:03:39

twiglet77

GoldenEye ointment is still available (chloramphenicol). I get it online but pharmacies probably stock it. I’ve used it on cats, chickens and rabbits, as well as children!

It’s like the Spanish Inquisition trying to get chloramphenicol from a pharmacist these days!

twiglet77 Thu 09-Feb-23 22:58:35

visionpharmacy.org.uk/product/goldeneye-antibiotic-1-eye-ointment-4g/?variant=5652&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiA0JKfBhBIEiwAPhZXDzmfIhQtVMJ5tRyIXdJHmZR-qrLP7JvGzadlb5fM8lUlS2GtbnvfVRoCLOoQAvD_BwE

It’s available online with just a few questions.