Gransnet forums

Chat

Have any of you used special paints for kitchen cupboards?

(45 Posts)
Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 17:03:00

We have been planning a new kitchen for some time, but I am afraid finances are in a bit of a mess, for all sorts of reasons.

So perhaps time to look at alternatives. Replace tiling and work surfaces,, and all appliances, and pain the units and change handles. Kitchen probably 80s- not wood but some sort of laminate.

Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks.

Fleurpepper Thu 02-Feb-23 10:05:12

Thanks again all. Yes, will definitely buy paint sprayer, it will find so many uses in this old pile, and will pay for itself in no time.

Callistemon21 Thu 02-Feb-23 10:15:18

I think the rubbing down would be the worst part, but not so bad if the doors are flat and not moulded.

The other problem with replacing old kitchen doors is that the standard door sizes have changed over the years, as we found when we enquired.

choughdancer Thu 02-Feb-23 10:56:00

I painted my laminate kitchen cupboard doors and drawers, using homemade chalk paint, then wax over the top. It was about 7 years ago and they still look okay. They are shaker style, and I painted the middle section of the wall cupboard doors with chalk-board paint so that I could write on them with chalk.

choughdancer Thu 02-Feb-23 10:57:11

Should have said that I used chalk paint because you don't have to do any sanding first!

Fleurpepper Thu 02-Feb-23 11:10:33

Any specific brand?

Fleurpepper Thu 02-Feb-23 11:11:47

Callistemon21

I think the rubbing down would be the worst part, but not so bad if the doors are flat and not moulded.

The other problem with replacing old kitchen doors is that the standard door sizes have changed over the years, as we found when we enquired.

Our doors a simple and flat, no mouldings, etc. I have a good sander, tressles, and will but paint spray and do in late Spring when I can work outside. Thanks all.

Grantanow Thu 02-Feb-23 13:01:08

Our new kitchen cupboard doors were painted with an oil-based mix prepared by the painter to mimic the Matt cornflower white we had seen elsewhere. It's washable and seems hard-wearing.

PinkCosmos Thu 02-Feb-23 13:05:05

I have been looking at Frenchic paint to paint my wood/laminate kitchen cupboards.

A friend of mine painted hers and they looked really good.

I believe the paint dries really quickly, which is a bonus.

They have a website and YouTube video about their products.

Fleurpepper Thu 02-Feb-23 13:07:33

Thanks, will have a look.

PinkCosmos Thu 02-Feb-23 13:10:14

I have also used Rustoleum furniture paint on smaller items like wooden chairs. It has a satin finish which I prefer to chalky finish.

I did paint a wardrobe with Annie Sloan chalk paint but didn't wax seal it. The paint chipped off quite quickly but it was my own fault for not doing it properly.

I have also resprayed old brass cupboard handles with black satin spray paint. Look miles better

Norah Thu 02-Feb-23 14:01:25

Callistemon21

We did that last time (ages ago now), tiles, floor tiles, worktops, sink, cooker etc, but didn't paint the cupboards as they're a good solid wood and I quite like them, just changed the handles.

However, it looks as if it's time for another makeover (or a new kitchen) so I was wondering whether anyone has replaced not just doors but replaced bottom cupboards with big drawers?

Tiles are still good and I like them but the worktops need replacing so wonder if tiles could get broken.

We'd not paint wood cupboards either. And replacing nice old wood with new materials seems wasteful, to me.

To answer: 3 views.

Do the bottom cupboards have doors that come together in pairs? If yes - do the pairs have a piece of wood, vertical, from top of cupboard to bottom?

1) depending on answer above ^ if there is no vertical between pairs of doors, install or have installed interior drawers after shelves have been removed. OR sliders on the shelving - this is what my husband accomplished within 2 sets of lower cupboard "boxes" - now 4 big slider systems, in same 2 "boxes" on 4 old shelves.

2) If there is vertical between sets of doors OR the doors are only for one opening, you can easily have the above accomplished inside that smaller space.

3) My daughter has an all new kitchen in her very old home, new cupboards, dark wood uppers and painted lowers. Gorgeous. You could keep uppers and acquire new lowers with drawers.

AreWeThereYet Thu 02-Feb-23 14:29:15

Fleurpepper Paint sprayers are brilliant but to get good results can take a lot of practice. Paints also need to be watered down different amounts depending on the paint type (unless it's specifically intended for a sprayer of course), as a very fine spray is need. Plus it can be very messy with paint flying everywhere. Not trying to put you off, I used to enjoy doing it but have to say I wouldn't buy some of my efforts if I saw them in a shop 😄 Plus my sprayer stopped working after about a year as they have to be carefully cleaned and I think I may not have been careful enough.

Katie59 Thu 02-Feb-23 15:02:42

Laminate can be painted remove them so you can work flat, clean and sand them finely, car paint can be used, spray cans from Halfords should be fine, then coat them with lacquer to give a good hard finish.

It’s messy and wear a mask but cost is low.

Witzend Thu 02-Feb-23 15:47:24

Fleurpepper

Any specific brand?

IIRC I used Wickes.

Forsythia Thu 02-Feb-23 15:51:31

We have used Rustoleum. They have Different types of paint available including chalk paint or a satin finish. Also used B&Q tile paint in cream satin finish. Farrow & Ball on kitchen unit doors in eggshell finish. For ourselves, we prefer a Matt or satin finish. There is a lot out there to choose from. My neighbours daughter got hers from Wilko. It looks wonderful.

Callistemon21 Thu 02-Feb-23 17:15:17

Norah we've had this kitchen years and I spend hours in it but I'll have to go and look! I think there's a vertical at the front.

Yes, DH did a similar thing in a tall cupboard which is wider than the single cupboards and it's very useful. I know you can buy whole metal pull-out units but pulling out a full one could be heavy, I think.

Norah Thu 02-Feb-23 17:35:18

Callistemon21

Norah we've had this kitchen years and I spend hours in it but I'll have to go and look! I think there's a vertical at the front.

Yes, DH did a similar thing in a tall cupboard which is wider than the single cupboards and it's very useful. I know you can buy whole metal pull-out units but pulling out a full one could be heavy, I think.

I think, perhaps, there are qualities to the pull out drawers/ or shelving.

My husband ordered specific "rails /wheels shelves" (or whatever they are called) to install inside the lowers.

One glide shelf hold our heavy enameled iron cookware and glide out easily -- inside old cupboards. Heavy crockery extras are on glide out as well.

Picture of similar to daughter's kitchen, wood above and paint lowers.

Callistemon21 Thu 02-Feb-23 17:51:39

Thanks Norah, I'll show DH

Callistemon21 Thu 02-Feb-23 17:56:10

Yes, I see it works well with wood above and painted below.

It seems to be quite popular now.