Gransnet forums

Chat

Cold at night, any recommendations?

(151 Posts)
DaisyMac Wed 08-Feb-23 00:20:28

I heard on the news today that there is no prospect of energy bills coming down in the foreseeable future and I'm getting scared: if I don't have the heating on at night, I can not sleep through; I wake between 2 and 4am. I've tried everything - two or three duvets, hot water bottles, thermal vests, leggings and hats - and nothing works. Is there anyone out there who is as 'nesh' as me and do you have any suggestions? Maybe I just need to emigrate!

(nesh: "weak and delicate, in particular in being susceptible to the cold").

Charleygirl5 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:02:04

I have a mattress topper on my bed. Many people complain a bed gets too hot- not for me. I am up to the loo at least 2-3 times each night and my bed is cosy when I return. It is easier to cool down than warm up.

kircubbin2000 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:06:36

I found the bedroom was the problem.It has 2 outer walls and is freezing. I moved into the other bedroom and dont need the heat on.

BlueBalou Wed 08-Feb-23 08:11:24

A fleece blanket under the bottom sheet, bed socks, Damart Thermodactyl pyjamas and another fleece next to you topped with the duvet and more blankets. Plus hot water bottles.
We lived in an unseated ancient farmhouse for years, ice in the glass of water next to the bed, I wore more clothes to bed than most people wore by day!

BlueBalou Wed 08-Feb-23 08:12:00

Unheated for goodness sake!

silverlining48 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:18:40

Electric blanket. Just switched mine on as felt chilly,
Got one for the spare bed in Aldi it was I der £20. Cheap to use too.

Riverwalk Wed 08-Feb-23 08:21:17

As you've tried extra clothing etc but are still cold I'd say you have no choice but to leave the heating on.

It's now February and hopefully the weather will get a bit warmer soon - you can economise on something else.

silverlining48 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:33:40

I have always had under electric blankets.
A young friend was saying she was cold in bed and I recommended an under blanket and she can’t stop thanking me.
I am Going to turn mine off now as I am nice and warm again

Daisymae Wed 08-Feb-23 08:36:40

How about a heat pad? They are a decent size and you can leave it in. Mine turns itself off after 90 mins. You can always turn it back on if necessary. They have them in Boots.

Greyduster Wed 08-Feb-23 08:50:38

Once I’m in bed and get warm, I don’t have a problem. It was the initial getting warm that was the problem. DD recently gave me their spare electric under blanket and I have to say if I switch it on for half a hour before I go to bed, I’m warm for the rest of the night. It’s like getting into a warm bath!

pascal30 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:54:04

I have a duvet under my bottom sheet, one light duvet over me with an electric blanket on top. The electric overblanket has controls that switch it off and on during the night. It has transformed my sleeping pattern and helped with aching legs.

Yammy Wed 08-Feb-23 09:02:57

I put extra thermal linings into the curtains even though they already have them, they just hook into the rings.Keep the bedroom door shut at all times in fact we keep all the doors shut except the ensuite which has a radiator that doesn't close off.
A friend recommended fleecy sheets I think from Dunelm and a pair of walking socks and fingerless gloves

annodomini Wed 08-Feb-23 09:58:09

When I visit DS2 and family, there's an electric blanket on my bed. No chance of feeling cold there. When I take possession of the flat I'm buying, that will be one of my first purchases. I also had a pair of cashmere bedsocks for Christmas which are a great treat for my normally cold feet and I've since bought an alpaca pair which are equally cosy.

MerylStreep Wed 08-Feb-23 10:04:25

I find it amazing that so many posters don’t / have just bought an electric blanket. I think my first one was in 1969.

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Feb-23 10:09:40

Can you buy a stand alone oil-filled radiator fr the bedroom too so that you don't have to have all the heating on in the house?

Nesh - my mother always called me nesh but that was in the days of one fire in the sitting room and ice on the inside of the bedroom window.
😁
I'm not nesh now, if I do feel cold in bed at first then bed socks usually do the trick.

Theexwife Wed 08-Feb-23 10:54:41

Have the heating on if you need it, if you cannot pay your bill enter into a payment plan that you can afford.

midgey Wed 08-Feb-23 11:21:52

Have you tried sleeping between your two duvets?

lemsip Wed 08-Feb-23 11:53:34

bed socks and fingerless mitts to keep hands and wrists warm I have electric blanket to warm bed up then switch it off and lay on a fleece throw .

Norah Wed 08-Feb-23 11:56:22

We have a feather duvet under the bottom sheet.

Our sheets are cotton flannel/winceyette, top sheet, bottom sheet, and cases. Duvet, wool blanket, bedspread.

I wear bed socks, warm pyjamas, and I sleep with a man who has oddly never been cold. Maybe a partner is help to staying warm in bed.

Caleo Wed 08-Feb-23 12:05:00

Wear a warm vest and/or a warm cardigan in bed.

welbeck Wed 08-Feb-23 12:43:31

i rarely put the heating on. only if there is a hard frost, to protect the house.
i sleep in a sleeping bag, plus blankets and fleecy sheet over and under.
the best buy for me was a fleecy hooded garment £15 from savers.
under that i wear long-sleeved thermal vest plus thin roll neck jumper, under shorts, thin and thick pyjama trousers, tucked in to long loose thick socks. also thin socks on hands.
have a small thin blanket across shoulders, so can read without arms getting too cold.
this works for me.
income v low, savings only going one way. c'est la vie

welbeck Wed 08-Feb-23 12:48:29

www.savers.co.uk/Household/Household-Essentials/Other-Household/Teddy-Eskimo-Hoodie-Grey/p/823002

Washerwoman Wed 08-Feb-23 15:14:17

Electric blanket here.A Dreamland one and worth every penny.I pop it on for an hour before bed.Then switch off but if I wake up chilly I put it back on gentle heat.Plus I have a pure wool throw on top of the bed.If it's extra cold I wear wool socks.

fancythat Wed 08-Feb-23 15:20:32

DaisyMac

I never thought about cold air waking me up, but it's a good point. Thank you.

The ideas are good above.

For me cold air wakes me up and keeps me awake.

For me, after water and food comes heat.
I will spend less on insurance, ditch my mobile, ditch almost anything rather than not have enough heat for what I need.

silverlining48 Wed 08-Feb-23 16:25:03

We never have heating on at night in the bedroom. The electric blanket works a treat. Like Meryl we have always had one, also since 1969 when we got married and lived in a damp cold rented flat.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 08-Feb-23 16:29:59

My daughter bought us a weighted blanket which we have over a thermal duvet. It is so warm I no longer want a hot water bottle. Sometimes I put an extra pillow over as well. It was bought because I have chronic insomnia but the warmth is a bonus. Also we have no heating in our bedroom.