Gransnet forums

Chat

Is the grass always greener?

(106 Posts)
AussieGran59 Wed 08-Feb-23 23:14:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maddyone Sun 19-Feb-23 11:38:05

The problem with our NHS is that that there are too few doctors, as I’ve said repeatedly on a number of threads. Due to having too few doctors, working conditions for doctors have diminished over the last few years. Also the pay of doctors has been held down for at least ten years (along with other public employees) and this has exacerbated the flow of doctors to other countries such as Australia, which is currently launching a recruitment drive to try to get UK doctors to emigrate to to Australia.
If the UK wants to retain its doctors and not have to rely on nurses to do the job of doctors, then it needs to pay them properly and improve their working conditions.

PamelaJ1 Tue 21-Feb-23 22:17:44

We were chatting to an Australian couple yesterday and we came to the conclusion that both countries have very similar problems.
Their pot hole situation is definitely worse than ours!
We bought a bottle of gin in Woolworths on our way back to DD’s, it translated into approx £43. Not a special brand either!
Think we’ve made up our minds.🍸

Eloethan Tue 21-Feb-23 22:28:47

I agree that our health system is no longer considered to be one of the best in the world - as it was a few years ago.

Some people may recall, 12 years ago, before the Conservatives/Lib Dems were elected, Labour election broadcasts warned people that the NHS was at serious risk if the Conservatives got in. They had said it before, in previous elections, and they were proved right on those occasions too. After all, when the NHS was first proposed, the Conservatives were absolutely against it - as they have been in respect of almost every measure designed to help ordinary working people.

Despite the mess we are in now, I think we are fortunate to have our NHS, even though this government is doing everything in its power to strangle it. I have friends from Ireland who greatly appreciate being able to access health care which is not free but free at the point of delivery. I hope we get rid of this government.

Fleurpepper Wed 22-Feb-23 09:58:04

Oh so do I. But what a tough job whomever takes over will have- as the Tories have more or less bankrupted the country (as they filled their pockets- as in most 3rd world dictatures).

PamelaJ1 Thu 16-Mar-23 08:59:34

AussieGran after melting in the 35degree heat today I do understand your friends change of mind! Our washing dried in about 10mins.
Still, I’ve just come in from walking the dog on the beach this evening and it was lovely.