Gransnet forums

Chat

Virtue Signalling

(310 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 07-Mar-23 09:18:59

What type of virtue signalling really gets up your nose?

I'm starting because I'm irritable this morning!

People who have walls / huge bookshelves full of books but never read. A class signifier.

M0nica Tue 07-Mar-23 10:39:05

I confess, on zoom I have a bank of books and reports and offprints behind me, very difficult to read any titles.

DH and I have a double sided partners desk. When choosing which side to be on, I got the books, side; he got the fireplace, which is full of deep shelves with document boxes on it.

karmalady Tue 07-Mar-23 10:40:39

Good deeds and charitable giving, often mentioned by some. The best charity and kindness are unspoken.

I do mention donating downsized goods to cs, I am getting rid but subconsciously don`t want people to think I am just binning for landfill, anyway it stops me feeling guilty in the hope that someone can re-use.

Fleurpepper Tue 07-Mar-23 10:41:41

Virtue signalling is very much in the eyes of the beholder.

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 07-Mar-23 10:45:11

Is not talking up your possession and use of books not a signalling of virtue?

Zoejory Tue 07-Mar-23 10:50:45

an attempt to show other people that you are a good person, for example by expressing opinions that will be acceptable to them, especially on social media
Virtue signalling is the popular modern habit of indicating that one has virtue merely by expressing disgust or favour for certain political ideas or cultural happenings

Cambridge dictionary definition of virtue signalling.

Bookcases can't be examples of virtue signalling.

Zoejory Tue 07-Mar-23 10:51:18

ExperiencedNotOld

Is not talking up your possession and use of books not a signalling of virtue?

No

Granmarderby10 Tue 07-Mar-23 10:53:35

My precious books (mainly charity shop finds), are still carefully stacked in supermarket carriers a year after moving house. Just can’t find the right bookshelf yet.
Aside from books there are those who “signal” with “you’ve- missed-the best part-of-the-day” etc etc and who all but repainted the Sistine Chapel before breakfast. But they go to bed at 7:20 pm because they are then knackered 😴

GagaJo Tue 07-Mar-23 11:07:45

Zoejory

GagaJo

eazybee

People who have walls / huge bookshelves full of books but never read. A class signifier.

This sort of silly remark.
People who have walls full of books buy them because they like books and they keep them on shelves because it as an ideal way to store them.
Nothing to do with class.

You missed out totally the 2nd part of my post.

but never read

Just insulation. I don't keep millions of books and I'm an English teacher.

How on earth do you know they've not been read?

Don't say you can tell, because you can't.

I'm thinking of one 'friend' in particular, although she isn't alone. She never reads. Her husband doesn't. None of their children did/do. But wall of books. As I said. Class signifier for someone trying too hard to be middle class.

It'd be like me having ExperiencedNotOld's example of extensive kitchen equipment. I never cook. Why have it?

Wyllow3 Tue 07-Mar-23 11:13:42

Small house, limited choice of Zoom backgrounds, therefore kitchen, not tidy.

But perhaps I'm virtue signalling that I am above such things as bookcases grin

M0nica Tue 07-Mar-23 11:19:32

Is not talking up your possession and use of books not a signalling of virtue

Who is 'talking up' their possession or use of books? That would mean suggesting that the possession or use of books, was something to be proud of.

My experience is that it is, and always has been, something to apologise for. Look how rude people are if a bookcase appears near anyone on a Zoom call.

maddyone Tue 07-Mar-23 11:20:20

People who tell us all that we should take fewer flights and then use private jets themselves.

Yammy Tue 07-Mar-23 11:30:27

Norah

Being a bossy know-it-all. Forcing one's opinion.

I second that. I live next door to someone the same. I always go out in the back garden so she can't see me.
I have never known anyone so officious, who knows everyone and everything is so much better than yours. She is always butting in on conversations.
If I do catch sight of her I get the Hyacinth Bucket "Oh haven't seen you lately been holed up?"
No, I've been bloody avoiding you. It's got to the point where I go to the Post when I hope she is having a meal.

Blossoming Tue 07-Mar-23 11:39:09

People wearing charity t-shirts but never commit charitable acts.
People with the Ukrainian flag in their Twitter bio or on their FB profile pic.

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 07-Mar-23 11:44:08

Different but sort of the same.
People that move into a country village, swop their car for a 4x4, start wearing country style clothes (that never get dirty) always from expensive brands, buy a couple of labs or spaniels and then can’t understand why real county folk find them so funny.

Wyllow3 Tue 07-Mar-23 11:52:37

Not just real country folk ExperiencedNotOld one can sort them miles off as they drive "into the city" to further flash the cash.

Casdon Tue 07-Mar-23 11:53:02

One thing I can’t stand is when people use their religious faith as a way of signalling that they are in some way superior to others. I’ll probably get shot down for saying this!

Blossoming Tue 07-Mar-23 11:53:32

That’s made me think of another one! People who move to the country then complain about the smells of silage, muck spreading, etc.

Wyllow3 Tue 07-Mar-23 11:53:51

Spot them.

MawtheMerrier Tue 07-Mar-23 12:14:53

maddyone

People who tell us all that we should take fewer flights and then use private jets themselves.

I can’t imagine WHO you might be referring to! tcrgrintcrgrin

LRavenscroft Tue 07-Mar-23 12:19:49

Casdon

One thing I can’t stand is when people use their religious faith as a way of signalling that they are in some way superior to others. I’ll probably get shot down for saying this!

Not at all. I had a friend who was deeply religious and you felt the whole time that she was looking down on you because she corrected you when you said something that was not in line with her way of thinking. She was very anti a lot of the minority groups and that is why I sorted of evaporated. Goodness knows what would have happened if one of her family had erred in any way.

dogsmother Tue 07-Mar-23 12:21:30

I’m glad you are all sharing your thoughts here…..because I’m not really that bright sometimes and was never quite sure what it meant. So it realistically means people who say something and mean nothing of the sort? Or they are for full of bs.

Galaxy Tue 07-Mar-23 12:24:29

This is more organisations, but having slogans or adverts on equality for gay people/women etc whilst flogging their goods using very different type of branding in countries such as Saudi Arabia.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Mar-23 12:28:27

Just a thought but is complaining about dislike of virtue signalling in itself virtue signalling?

Namsnanny Tue 07-Mar-23 12:28:53

I think people who talk about virtue signalling, are the ultimate virtue signalers(?)

What happened to good old fashioned hypocracy, or even better showing off?🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sorry Gagajo a little joke at your expense. I know you have broad shoulders.

Namsnanny Tue 07-Mar-23 12:30:10

Great minds X post Gg13 😄