Gransnet forums

Chat

Multistorey Car Parks - what do you do?

(81 Posts)
kittylester Sat 11-Mar-23 16:40:15

Our small town has a useful, fairly cheap, multistorey car park right in the middle of town (and very near my hairdresser).

It drives DH mad when people holdup the traffic trying to squeeze into the first space they come meanwhile there will hardly be anyone parked on the top 2 floors. There is a lift.

What would/do you do - park as soon as possible or keep going to the top?

SachaMac Tue 14-Mar-23 13:47:04

I tend to keep driving until there’s a few more spaces, I’d rather walk a bit further than try squeezing in a tight space in any car park. I have bumped into the pillars on a couple of occasions. I always drive in front first & reverse out, I find that easier.

hollysteers Tue 14-Mar-23 19:37:29

Multi storey car parks are a bother to me and I hate paying. I only use them for necessary hospital visits and usually end up at the top as they are so busy.
I remember reading about a dreadful accident in America where work was taking place in one of them and a woman made a wrong turn and died when her car tumbled down the shaft😨 Wish I had never read it!

cornergran Tue 14-Mar-23 20:10:00

maw reminded me of a similar incident. Very pleased with myself because I’d driven into a city where the traffic has always scared me, parked easily in a multi storey, remembered to make a note of the floor number and enjoyed a training day. Feeling confident off I went to collect the car. You guessed it, no car. Panic? Oh yes. I had no idea where the station was and Mr C was too far away to summon for rescue. Common sense kicked in and I took myself to the car park office where I was greeted with roars of laughter and asked which entrance I had used. Err, is there more than one ? Indeed there was. One car park. Two entrances with a wall across the middle. Why? No idea! How was I to know? Red faced I slunk away, retrieved the car and to this day can’t remember how I got out. Mr C was lucky he survived when I got home and gabbled out my story. Everyone knows that says he. Huh!

Magrithea Wed 15-Mar-23 16:24:33

Don't often go to one but the nearest has an entrance into the shopping centre so that's where I try to park but not really bothered as I can trot up and down the stairs if needed

Norah Wed 15-Mar-23 16:33:35

We rarely use a multistory car park. I do find parking easy- key is we both drive big 4x4 - good sight-lines and height.