Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling pleased with myself

(93 Posts)
Jane71 Mon 13-Mar-23 12:45:49

We needed a new shelf putting up in the spare bedroom. DH would normally do DIY jobs, but he has a bad back so I said I would have a go. Never having done one before I was rather apprehensive, but I did it and it looks ok. DH even let me use his electric screwdriver!

What new thing have you done recently that you feel proud about?

LRavenscroft Mon 13-Mar-23 13:07:27

Wow! I am very pleased for you and feel your success.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 13-Mar-23 13:14:05

Good work Jane71.
I fear that if I tried the same it would resemble the Peppa Pig episode in which Daddy Pig's attempt to hang picture required remedial action from a plumber and a plasterer.

Daisymae Mon 13-Mar-23 13:33:36

Well, since you ask - inspired by the Repair Shop, I took a screwdriver to a music box and fixed it! I have also rehung curtains, replaced the sink pop up waste and project managed a complete refurbishment of a room. All jobs that my DH would have done when he was fitter. I am awaiting delivery of replacement shower seals. Well done for mastering the electric screwdriver!

Jane71 Mon 13-Mar-23 16:30:03

Whow Daisymae, that's very impressive.

The screw driver was dead simple. I normally can't use a conventional screw driver as my wrists are too weak, but with the electric one you just press the button and in the screw goes. I was amazed that DH let me use it.

Oreo Mon 13-Mar-23 17:15:36

Well done👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Always nice to find we can do stuff we thought were beyond us.
DP just loves DIY so I never get a chance.

Hetty58 Mon 13-Mar-23 17:24:56

Crikey - I've always done the DIY, building, garden projects - even replaced guttering - since being a child. It's not rocket science. If I'd waited for my husbands to get around to it I'd have been living in squalor! Why do women admit to being so clueless and dependent?

Shelmiss Mon 13-Mar-23 17:27:10

Well good for you Hetty58 but obviously not everyone is like you. Why do you have to be so rude?

MerylStreep Mon 13-Mar-23 17:34:30

I wish I could report that I’d cracked using a rolled hem foot.
I’ve given it too many hours now so it’s going in the bin.
But I do have my own electric drill and several sanders.

MerylStreep Mon 13-Mar-23 17:36:10

You’ve been sucking lemons again, haven’t you,* Hetty58*

Hetty58 Mon 13-Mar-23 17:44:15

Shelmiss, Why, honestly? - because I find it so pathetic that anyone is proud of putting a shelf up. What happened to competence and equality? Is there still some 'pride' in being the needy and childlike 'little woman' in relationships? Some are still their own worst enemies!

Janiepops Mon 13-Mar-23 17:45:24

Methyl Streep, just….
Hahahahahahahahaha , brilliant!!

Dottydots Mon 13-Mar-23 18:00:00

Well, I wouldn't even attempt to put a shelf up, so we'll done Jane71.

Sara1954 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:01:22

I would be completely hopeless, my husband would also be completely hopeless
We learnt many years ago, that if we were to avoid tears, tantrums and rows, it would be best to let the professionals do it.
I’m a perfectionist, and he’s a ‘I think that will do’ type of person, very bad combination.
Oddly, both our girls will turn their hands to anything, and our son is useless.
Hettty, I truly admire your skills, but I don’t feel helpless or needy, I just know someone else will do it better.

Daisymae Mon 13-Mar-23 18:08:11

Hetty58

Crikey - I've always done the DIY, building, garden projects - even replaced guttering - since being a child. It's not rocket science. If I'd waited for my husbands to get around to it I'd have been living in squalor! Why do women admit to being so clueless and dependent?

I think that it's more division of labour. If women did most of the DIY etc. they would probably, in the main, end up doing everything. I think that it's a question of balance. Of course the traditional balance is now changing, but I would hope that if someone is doing guttering it's not the same person who is peeling the spuds.

GrammyGrammy Mon 13-Mar-23 18:20:07

Womankind does actually need Hetty to be telling us to get a grip. It's how things change. She is right. We have stayed in the lanes we have been told to stay in. Then the man leaves and we learn to do all these things. Then a new man turns up and we retreat back into the lanes we are now allowed. My initial response to the first post was concern the husband would feel upset that she had succeeded with the shelf. I have been divorced 20 years and yet still felt a rush of 'oh dear'. That's a lot of eggs being walked on. A lot of social conditioning and brainwashing too.

AskAlice Mon 13-Mar-23 18:24:37

MerylStreep, I'm right there with you on the rolled hem foot! Definitely the work of the devil. I've watched YouTube videos galore, spent hours practising and still can't get the hang of it.sad

Hetty58 really no need to be so rude. I was brought up in a family of boys and also learnt similar skills to you, but I also appreciate everyone's individual strengths may not be the same as mine. That doesn't make their personal achievements inferior, particularly when they tackle something new and succeed. Sometimes (all too often, unfortunately) women are other women's worst critics, and that makes me mad as hell...

Hetty58 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:28:48

Thanks, GrammyGrammy and apologies, Jane71, for being so blunt.

henetha Mon 13-Mar-23 18:30:57

Amazingly I do have an electric drill but don't think I could put a shelf up, so well done Jane71. I do fix little things around the house and make good use of duct tape and super glue etc. No need to be critical of those that don't though. We're all different.

Ziplok Mon 13-Mar-23 18:35:16

Well done Jane71. You must feel, quite rightly, pleased with the outcome. I suppose we don’t know what we are capable of until we have a go. I’ve never put a shelf up, but I suppose if I looked it up on YouTube or similar, I’d be able to manage it - might take me a while, though 😁.
Hetty58, it’s good that you have the confidence and ability to tackle all those jobs you mention - but not everyone (and not necessarily just women, either) have, so it’s not really kind to suggest that they are somehow less able or somehow lacking in some way, because they admit to either not being able to do something or not have the confidence to try.

grannyactivist Mon 13-Mar-23 18:52:05

We each play to our strengths and DIY is definitely not one of mine, whereas my husband can turn his hand to anything. 🛠

After my second episode of amnesia last year I developed a speech problem - I get stuck repeating the same word over and over. Also, I’m often lost for a well known word or name (I recently couldn't remember my son’s name 😱) and I get sentences muddled up. On bad days my brain fog is so bad that I can barely talk. So, I’ve had to adapt to this very strange ‘new me’. Having got through the initial trauma I’m pleased to say that I think I’ve learnt to cope quite well. I wear an ID bracelet now in case I have further episodes of memory loss (I’ve had 3 in the last year) and I can take a bit of gentle teasing about my frequent inability to string a meaningful sentence together.🤪

So, while I’m not exactly ‘proud’, I am pleased to be coping with my altered circumstances.

crazyH Mon 13-Mar-23 19:05:46

Well done everyone ! grannyactivist, well done for coping so well. On two occasions, while driving (my usual daily route) I completely forgot where I was. I had to stop at a lay-by and gather my senses. I spoke to my doctor-friend, who re-assured me and said it does happen. There’s a name for it, but I’ve forgotten it 😂

Jane71 Mon 13-Mar-23 19:10:58

Hetty58 Thanks, GrammyGrammy and apologies, Jane71, for being so blunt.

Apology accepted Hetty. I must say that being called pathetic when I was quite pleased with myself was a real knock down as I'm not the most confident of people. I suppose I should think more carefully in future.
Thanks to all those others who have posted nice comments.

Beechnut Mon 13-Mar-23 19:27:42

I’ve got my cleaner in pieces on the shed bench and have found the problem. I’ll see about getting the part later in the week.

Oreo Mon 13-Mar-23 20:05:52

Beechnut

I’ve got my cleaner in pieces on the shed bench and have found the problem. I’ll see about getting the part later in the week.

shock
Should we be calling the police?!