Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling pleased with myself

(94 Posts)
Jane71 Mon 13-Mar-23 12:45:49

We needed a new shelf putting up in the spare bedroom. DH would normally do DIY jobs, but he has a bad back so I said I would have a go. Never having done one before I was rather apprehensive, but I did it and it looks ok. DH even let me use his electric screwdriver!

What new thing have you done recently that you feel proud about?

karmalady Tue 14-Mar-23 12:25:27

It used to be really nice to balance the labour and my husband would do the jobs he was very good at and similar for me.

Then when he died I had the confidence to start on the maintenance for upkeep and then prior to selling my house, a big smile came upon me when I got up a long ladder, tied to big posts and I managed to sand and paint the top verandah and the job was good

I sold and bought my new build and confidence was still within me, after all if I could repair a hole or reverse a process, then I could tackle the `handyman` jobs in my new home. I used a hammer drill, after researching the best plugs for thermalite and consequently put up all the fittings for heavy mirrors, big pictures and a curtain rail and they are solid fixtures

That went on to having the confidence and courage to fix a tricky job in the loft, the problem concerned a soil vent pipe initialy installed by a so-called professional. I did it, fixed two leaky joints and insulated the whole pipe, then made good, the plasterboard and floor insulation

Best thing is to ignore naysayers, including one I had on GN.

Try it and if an attempt on a fix is able to be reversed, then no harm will be done. The whole maintenance process since my husband died is what has pleased me the most, he would have been so proud of me. I never do things by halves

Amalegra Tue 14-Mar-23 12:27:09

I have lived alone for the sixteen years or so since my divorce. My ex was a tradesman and superb at all ‘DIY’-carpentry, electrics, plumbing, tiling, he could do it all (and did!) speedily and without too much fuss or nagging. I couldn’t compete with his expertise so was happy to let him although I did do most of the painting/decorating as he hated it. Since being alone I have learned to tackle most jobs I need doing without too much fuss as I was used to watching him do it (and helping where necessary!). When my Dad passed (also a tradesman) I had a great many of his tools and like to think he is cheering me on from the Great Beyond, although I think he’d be horrified at some of my techniques and short cuts! I can also sew, cook and do all the other things a woman needs to do to get by. I certainly don’t need a man to do them for me! Unless it’s my cooker which broke this week and I had to have new heating element fitted. Electrics (and plumbing) like that I leave to the professionals!

karmalady Tue 14-Mar-23 12:33:55

other things that have pleased me greatly: replacing a tiny broken part within my laptop and fitting up a system to link two tall lovely water butts together and hence to a downspout

Also replacing the dualit toaster element and a digital wall thermostat. I was pleased to have done a good job

I was happy to have designed and made a folding wooden stand to enable my wood carving. It was not easy to learn how to install joints but thank goodness for youtube

I now successfully maintain my three bikes after my husband died. I am very pleased to have learnt those skills, the hard way btw

Sara1954 Tue 14-Mar-23 12:40:30

Even the smallest DIY job becomes a disaster in our house, I think I could write a book on how not to do things, we don’t argue often, but we can have a massive row over putting in a picture pin.
I think you’re all amazing, I’m totally impressed.

lizzypopbottle Tue 14-Mar-23 13:01:05

I put an 'invisible' zip into a onesie I was making. I'd never done one before but it was surprisingly easy. I did watch a YouTube tutorial first. There's a 'how go's for absolutely everything on there.

Beechnut shades of Dr Frankenstein duh duh duuuuuugh....

Beechnut Tue 14-Mar-23 13:19:48

Beechnut

I’ve got my cleaner in pieces on the shed bench and have found the problem. I’ll see about getting the part later in the week.

All human cleaners are safe everybody 🤣🤣

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 14-Mar-23 13:33:49

I think division of tasks should be done on a partnership basis. As I spend hours every day on domestic chores, while Mr GO wears out his armchair and the TV, I think it's a fair exchange that he does the DIY jobs, though it takes him a long, long time to get round to any of it.
However I can and do, do the basic servicing on my motorbike (changing oil, plugs, oil and air filters), though I do have to get Mr GO or my son to undo the sump bolt, and it takes all of their strength to deal with that.

Bazza Tue 14-Mar-23 13:44:33

I grew up in a female household, so I’m quite handy, unlike my DH! I’m the most practical one by far. However my great aunt was brilliant at everything she tackled, as my lovely uncle was DIY dyslexic. Their very old grade 2 listed house badly needed rewiring so she went to the library and found a book telling her how to do it. She did get a qualified electrician to check it when she’d finished, and he was extremely impressed. She also painted the whole outside of the house. She could also sew and knit brilliantly and even spun her own wool. Not the best cook though, although she decorated some amazing birthday cakes, we just learned not to eat the cake!

Smileless2012 Tue 14-Mar-23 14:05:04

Well done Janesmile it's a great feeling to accomplish something for the first time.

Oreogrin.

HeavenLeigh Tue 14-Mar-23 14:06:20

Oh beechnut you have made my day 🤣🤣🤣🤣 and Oreo I was thinking the same! But I actually call mine the cleaner on occasions

AngieP Tue 14-Mar-23 14:19:59

Well, Hetty58 and GrammyGrammy,

It's actually nothing to do with being clueless and dependent, or social conditioning and brainwashing! Simply not enough hours in the day, this woman's got to sleep sometime! I'm happy to be the full time carer, do the cleaning, cooking and gardening and find some time each day to do as I please but DIY isn't it!

Supergranuation Tue 14-Mar-23 14:22:08

Learned to knit! Only taken me 68 years grin

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 14-Mar-23 14:39:40

Supergrannuation- well done! I'm working on this skill myself. We should both be very proud ( even if I don't have a shelf to store the needles and yarn )

albertina Tue 14-Mar-23 15:02:23

Well done !

As for me, I'm pleased with myself for getting through root canal treatment this morning.

queenofsaanich69 Tue 14-Mar-23 15:25:47

Brilliant Jane71,lovely to have a feeling of satisfaction,I have always told my 3 girls nothing a woman can’t do,but so true if you do stuff it ends up being your job for ever,keep us posted on your handy work !

Sara1954 Tue 14-Mar-23 15:55:17

Supergranuation
Well done, one of my daughters and I learned to crochet a few years ago watching YouTube tutorials, I’ve made dozens of throws now, the house is full of them, my daughter is a bit adventurous and has made bags and gloves, but I’m pretty impressed with myself.

Sara1954 Tue 14-Mar-23 15:56:31

And Albertina, I think you should be proudest of all

4allweknow Tue 14-Mar-23 15:59:13

Jane 71 Huge pat on the back for attempting and succeeding. Since DH died last year I have approached some tasks with trepidation. Recently dismantled and cleaned 3 bathroom extractor fans, cleaned out and refilled silicone on window sills (indoors) and done some calking on tiles/units. Some may say we are weak wimps not knowing how do do DIY tasks but I say I afforded my DH respect for his interest in and ability to do most of the household maintenance just as he appreciated my skills.

NanaDana Tue 14-Mar-23 16:01:11

Good afternoon, all. Feeling pleased with myself, as I've just joined. First impressions? Rather surprised at how what would often appear to be fairly non-controversial topics can still engender unpleasantness from a small minority of contributors. "Educate yourself", "Pathetic", "Needy", "Clueless and dependent" ? Oh dear. Surely grown ups can recognise that it's possible to politely disagree with someone else's opinion without resorting to such rudeness? Despite that, the healthy, positive exchanges are very much in the majority, so that's what I'll focus on. Can I also emphasise that I don't always see "fence-sitting" as a negative, as it gives an opportunity for thoughtful analysis, rather than what could be precipitate action. So my response in some situations may just be a straightforward : "I honestly don't know". I may even also sometimes rather cheekily suggest : "Neither, perhaps, do you." But that, of course, will just be an opinion.

karmalady Tue 14-Mar-23 16:04:54

4allweknow

Jane 71 Huge pat on the back for attempting and succeeding. Since DH died last year I have approached some tasks with trepidation. Recently dismantled and cleaned 3 bathroom extractor fans, cleaned out and refilled silicone on window sills (indoors) and done some calking on tiles/units. Some may say we are weak wimps not knowing how do do DIY tasks but I say I afforded my DH respect for his interest in and ability to do most of the household maintenance just as he appreciated my skills.

I love that post, so true

Missiseff Tue 14-Mar-23 16:23:15

Where is it written down that us mere women can't do these things and men can't cook, clean and iron? I must have missed it.

parker Tue 14-Mar-23 16:55:30

hem foots on machine are a nightmare and this from a professional machinist.

PamSJ1 Tue 14-Mar-23 17:07:51

I have a DIY book called 100 Things You Don't Need a Man For. I got it before my husband died as even though he would eventually get round to doing jobs, I liked having a go myself. With that and another book on domestic appliances I can manage a few jobs with my daughter's help. She has more patience than my son!

Bijou Tue 14-Mar-23 17:25:54

My husband had Ménière’s disease which meant he would go giddy when leaning down so when we bought our first house it had to be decorated inside and out so I had to do most of the work including climbing the ladder to paint the gable ends and upstairs windows.
When I returned to England after twelve years abroad the bungalow which had been let out for twelve years was in a bad state so had to be renovated and as I could not afford to pay anyone I had to do it.
The first time I employed someone to do decorating was when I was 80.

FranA Tue 14-Mar-23 19:52:15

I don’t think she was being rude. She was justifiably proud of her competence.