Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's warm and welcoming kitchen for kindly folk...

(1001 Posts)
soop Tue 14-Mar-23 14:25:17

Here we are again
Happy as we can possibly be
ALL GOOD Friends
And jolly good company.

Welcome. smile flowers brew wine cupcake

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 21-Mar-23 21:51:01

I’m so sorry to hear all the sad news in the kitchen, 🌺🌺🌺

SueDonim Tue 21-Mar-23 22:43:41

Thank you for the welcome home messages. smile I’m still rather zombified by the time changes (I used to hit the ground running - not so much nowadays or maybe I’m just out of practise!) but need to make a couple of comments.

Grandmabatty I hope all is quiet and calm for your friend. You must be an absolute rock for her family. ❤️

Yia that’s such awful news. Just a year younger than my ds with the same condition. I hope things soon look more hopeful for your ds’s friend’s wife. flowers

cornergran Wed 22-Mar-23 00:19:21

Can’t sleep so caught up with kitchen doings.

Sad and worrying news as well as celebrations and happy times.

Special thoughts to those with sadness and worry. Hope you can rest tonight.

soop Wed 22-Mar-23 14:48:35

Have arrived home and feeling greatly relieved. Plenty of unpacking to do. Lots of catching up to look forward to. After today I shall be back in some sort of routine.

Lovely to spend time with Baggs. We blethered and laughed a lot. All good for the soul.

Briefly...the appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon - (Mr Drummond Mansbridge) at Ross Hall, was a pleasure. Mr Soop remarked on how affable and supportive he is. Any patient of Mr Drummond Mansbridge is assured of his full attention. He also has a fine sense of humour.

He could give me a new knee. We discussed the pros and cons and I finally decided to have a course of Cortisone treatment instead. Mr Mansbridge is writing to our GP who already gives me injections in my shoulder and hand. If the GP agrees to treat my knee, it will be free. If not, I shall need to travel to Ross Hall and it will be costly. Either way, the injections should ease the discomfort.

We awoke this morning to the sound of the fire alarm in the Premier Inn. No time to put on my knickers! I flung a gilet over my nightie. We passed two fireman in the corridor. the engine parked outside the entrance. All the guests huddled together in a chilly wind. We didn't have to wait too long before being allowed back inside the hotel. Apparently the steam from a very hot shower triggered the alarm. What a kerfuffle!

Tomorrow, I shall tell you the funny story of what happened to me in a super garden centre. It will make you chuckle.

We need to visit our friend in the village right now. Please excuse me until tomorrow's catch-up session.

brook2704 Wed 22-Mar-23 16:54:30

Lovely to hear from you soop we’ve missed you! Pleased your appointment went well and hoping your local GP can give you the required knee injections. Not good to be woken so abruptly though, pleased you weren’t outside for too long in the cold
We’re half way home now, an easy flight from Almeria to Gatwick this morning and we’re nów awaiting the flight up to Inverness later. Our very kind SiL is going to pick us up from the airport and deliver us safely home. I think he’ll have the DGC with him too as DD2 is away on a training course this week so he’s having to manage on his own. I’m so much looking forward to seeing them all. Holidays are great but I’m always happy to get home too
Hope you sleep better tonight cornergran

Grannmarie Wed 22-Mar-23 18:22:33

Welcome home Soops, SueD, Brook,
so glad your trips went well....apart from Soop's rude awakening!
Thinking of Grandmabatty and YiaYia's DS's friends.

I've finished my Sci fi novel for book group, glad I persevered. Just read that it's being made into a movie with Ryan Gosling in the lead. I think it's my turn to choose our next title, I'll have to browse through my kindle library, hard to decide.

TOYA, take care. 🥰

Jaxjacky Wed 22-Mar-23 18:49:09

Hi all, mixed news soop hope your GP does the jabs. Very sad Yia and so young.
I hope you’re home now brook and wrapped up warm!
SueD, maybe fully in the right time zone? Ready for the clocks to move at the weekend!
School run is a bit of a nightmare with traffic, I used to go to work early to avoid the worst of it.
Grandchildren are being spoilt as I take them pick up treats, jelly babies tomorrow, might have to pinch one or two.
I take my daughter to hospital tomorrow for her cast removal, that’ll be almost 2 weeks.
Enjoy your evening all.

Urmstongran Wed 22-Mar-23 19:13:37

‘Evening All’.

Ooh! look what I found in a bathroom cupboard here just now! Lucky me. I can’t source ‘Anne French’ make up remover milk any more at home for love nor money. It seems to have disappeared off all shelves, supermarkets and chemists, so this was a nice find.
😊

Yia 💐

soop I’m looking forward to tomorrow and ‘your next instalment’!

brook welcome home. x

SueDonim Wed 22-Mar-23 19:17:24

Oh my, much drama for you, Soop! I’m glad it wasn’t an actual fire. I hope your knee issues are soon resolved.

I’m a bit more ‘with it’ today and have been out to get some bits for dinner. It was warmer here than at any time in the US, so that was nice. It’s been very windy - our wheelie bin had migrated across the garden by this morning and the trampoline in my dd’s garden escaped and damaged her car. sad

I’m meeting a friend for lunch tomorrow so I hope I’ll be back on UK time then - until the clocks change on Saturday! 😂

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 22-Mar-23 22:56:12

Hello everyone. I’m in bed but about to start reading another Barbara Pym! OH and I had a delicious lunch at an Italian in Highworth. Three courses each. Very yummy. This evening I listened to a very interesting talk on the Regent!s canal in London. This was on Zoom. Like covid, Zoom is not going away.

Blossoming Wed 22-Mar-23 23:09:18

Good evening lovely Kitcheners, just catching up with the news. What an awful shock for the lady Yia, I hope her treatment goes well. Special hug for Grandmabatty. Hope the injections help soop.
My eyes are closing, goodnight all, TOYA

brook2704 Thu 23-Mar-23 13:06:12

Just popping my head around the kitchen door to catch up on news whilst I munch on a sandwich ..
I’ve got washing blowing on the line, all my colourful holiday clothes nice and fresh, but probably won’t be worn again for a while. It’s back to my fleece lined leggings and thermal tops for a bit longer yet. I’m just in from a wander around the garden, it’s a bit soggy and looking sorry for itself. Some frost damage on a few things but apart from a couple of very dead looking clematis I think everything else should be ok - not much sign of spring here yet though ..
Hope you’re bodyclock is back to normal now SueD and enjoying your lunch
We’re off out soon, a much needed trip to Tesco to refill the fridge etc and then over to DD2s to help with ferrying DGC about to football and brownies etc. I got to see them briefly last night when Sil picked us up from the airport and I sat squashed up in the back of the car with them both - I was so happy!
A nice surprise to find your favourite AnneFrench cleanser Urms hope you can find some more when it runs out!

hulahoop Thu 23-Mar-23 14:01:01

That's very sad news Yia hope her treatment starts soon .Hope your Gp can do your injections ,I'm hoping my hip pain can be sorted with injections. Sounds like holidays have been enjoyed ,hope those just going have a good time.

Grandmabatty Thu 23-Mar-23 15:38:08

Afternoon kitcheners. My dear friend died this morning and is at rest. I'm broken hearted but glad she's at peace. I won't be on the thread today but my best to you all

soop Thu 23-Mar-23 15:43:34

Oh dear! I am sorry to read that there is sad and also scary news. I am also heartened to learn of special celebrations enjoyed by a few of our lovely Kitcheners.

I am having a much needed hair trim tomorrow. An early start. Mr Soop will visit Tesco.

We were very distressed by the amount of litter festooning the verges and hedgerows as we approached Glasgow. Why on earth do people not take their empty cartons and packaging home with them? Just sayin'

I said that I would tell you about an "incident" in the super garden centre that we visited. I spied one of those "dangly" cane chairs that are usually found in sun rooms. I tried to sit down in it but missed my footing and toppled on to the floor. No harm done. Except once on my hands and knees, I could not raise myself into an upright position. Mr Soop kept asking me to allow him to pull me upright. I couldn't relax sufficiently to complete the rescue. At one point, he muttered, "I shall get cross in a minute". I scuttled across the floor on my hands and knees. When I reached a sofa, I was able to kneel and gingerly pull myself into a standing position. I laughed a lot. Mr Soop eventually forgave me for embarrassing him and joined in the laughter.

soop Thu 23-Mar-23 15:47:00

Dear Grandmabatty. You were a truly wonderful support throughout your friend's life. Most importantly you were there in her final hours of need. She is, as you rightly say, now at peace. Bless you. flowers

Grannmarie Thu 23-Mar-23 15:49:22

Aww, Grandmabatty, sincere condolences on the loss of your dear friend. Your devotion to her will have brought her much comfort over these last difficult days.
As you say, she is at peace now, and I hope that, in time, you will find comfort in memories of happier times. 💕🙏💐

dustyangel Thu 23-Mar-23 15:52:41

Last of my birthday photos, a decoration from DD2.
I should think the whole neighbourhood knows my age by now!

dustyangel Thu 23-Mar-23 15:56:31

Just read your news Grandmabatty, sincere condolences to you. You must have made such a difference to her in this last week. flowers

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 23-Mar-23 16:08:23

Condolences Grandmabatty. Your friend will be at peace now.🌺🌺🌺

GrannyGravy13 Thu 23-Mar-23 16:15:07

Sending my condolences Grandmabatty 💐

Jaxjacky Thu 23-Mar-23 16:15:51

Just caught up Grandmabatty your friend is at peace, as you say, the comfort and solace you gave to her is true friendship 💐.
School run, hospital, school run, not many steps done today, my daughter now has a solid splint, moulded to her hand. She can drive ‘when she’s ready’ a pretty vague statement, no lifting, keep elevated (how if driving?).
MrJ at bowls tonight, his penultimate evening of indoors. I will have a quiet evening.
ttfn.

Blossoming Thu 23-Mar-23 16:48:31

Sincere condolences Grandmabatty you were such a good and supportive friend x

Susan56 Thu 23-Mar-23 16:54:29

Sending our sincere condolences Grandmabatty.You have been a wonderful friend and the time and support you gave your friend over the last weeks will have been such a comfort to her.x

brook2704 Thu 23-Mar-23 17:12:14

Sending deepest condolences grandmabatty, so sad for you and your friends family x

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion