Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 16th March 2023

(58 Posts)
Michael12 Thu 16-Mar-23 05:58:45

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight here in brackley but wet outside with cloud.
Yesterday , I had a phone call as to my surgery at the Churchill in Oxford .
They are going to operate on Monday it will be keyhole surgery , and all I have to do now apart from packing a suitcase again is get an admission time.
They operate on the day as well.
More later,
Take Care,
Mick

Anniebach Thu 16-Mar-23 11:39:17

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Blossoming Thu 16-Mar-23 10:42:42

Good morning everyone from Lancashire where it is mild 10°C and rainy.

I hope your surgery goes ahead and no problems Mick.

Best wishes to all with upcoming appointments, have a good day 🦩🦩🦩

Wyllow3 Thu 16-Mar-23 09:40:55

Morning from a grey S Yorks.

Glad to hear you have a date Mick and that is keyhole surgery.

GMattie you are doing so well on very emotional sorting.

I have an ultrasound late morning to check out strange large lump. Cross fingers and toes its a cyst or something. Didn't give me a brilliant night as have only recently had cancer bowel scare (but that was OK). May go to gym after especially if its good news just to hangout a bit in friends company

Abitbarmy all the very best for DS1.

BlueSapphire vicariously enjoying your SA trip.

Greyduster you know your own body better than the physio! good for you to sticking to what you know works.

Best with plumbers, dentists (I’ve still got a good NHS one - for now!) hairdressers, grandchildren and outings, and take care poorlies.

Marydoll Thu 16-Mar-23 09:25:22

I meant to say, I used to get withdrawal symptoms, not pleasant but normal and it soon passes.
Forewarned is forearmed.

Gingster Thu 16-Mar-23 09:20:04

Thanks Marydoll it’s reassuring to know it’s normal. 💐

Marydoll Thu 16-Mar-23 09:10:13

Gingster

Marydoll How long does it take for steroids to get out of your system? Did you feel poorly for long?

Gingster, I have on and off them for all my adult life.

I had blinding headaches and painful joints.
Unfortunately they had been masking my RA for years and much of the pain was due to it flaring up and I didn't even know I had RA.

As a result, I had to be weaned off them on reduced doses over a number of weeks.
However, I usually felt like a new woman after they wore off.
I'm sure things will improve in that area for your daughter. Hang on in there!

Steroids are a necessary evil. I nearly died, six weeks after I was married in 1977, they literally saved my life.
Unfortunately, like your daughter, I was unaware of the side effects. It would have helped me to cope better, if I had known, what to expect!
Many on here have experienced the same, you just get used to it and keep going in the knowledge they will help.

EkwaNimitee Thu 16-Mar-23 09:06:45

Good morning Mick, good to see you have a date for the op, and hello everyone. Carlisle is damp today, it will be wet all week I believe.
I had a poor night, plagued for the second night running with a flare up of acid indigestion. Bizarrely, it seems to have been brought on by my gardening efforts 2 days ago which were more strenuous than expected. It's happened before.
Today will therefore be gentle. I may or may not feel up to attending a U3A talk. I've started a new book though it's a bit of a pot boiler, another freebie on the Kindle.

I used Tools for Self Reliance to pass on DH's quality woodworking tools. I visited their refurbishment centre where the guys work their magic. Wonderful results, the tools looked like new. Apparently the Africans prefer them to cheap Chinese imports as they are better quality. They aren't given them, they pay a low price, preserves peoples dignity that way.

I hope all goes as well as possible with your sister abitbarmy, it's a lot to take in, getting news like that.
And best wishes to all the poorlies out there.

Have a good day everyone

luluaugust Thu 16-Mar-23 09:04:20

Good morning from a cloudy grey W Kent. Off to art group this morning where we have a proper artist coming to visit and paint with us which is always fun.
Glad you have a date for the op Mick
Abitbarmy very sorry to hear your news.
All the best

GrannySomerset Thu 16-Mar-23 08:53:29

Hairdresser due shortly for a much needed tidy up, and then a pub lunch with a group of U3A friends, so a nice day in prospect despite the grey and damp weather.

Lots of activity on here this morning. Glad you have a firm date, Mick, as someone else said, not long now.

harrigran Thu 16-Mar-23 08:52:53

Good morning from a wet NE where it is 9 degrees, we seem to go from below zero to mild in a couple of hours. DS arrived early yesterday and we got the shopping done before lunch.
We went for a walk during the afternoon and I must have worn him out as he slept until dinner time. He does have long covid and gets very tired. He left before 8pm as the weather forecast was poor for where he lives.
No plans for today, maybe some TV and crossword.
Pleased your surgery is going ahead Mick I wondered if you were doing the protein load immediately pre-op, it is a great help in speeding up recovery. I was given a carrier bag by the hospital containing protein drinks and a shaker and lots of literature about enhanced recovery.
Well done grandMattie, you seem to have achieved a great deal in a short time.
Have a good day everyone.

hulahoop Thu 16-Mar-23 08:40:45

There are a lot of busy people on here this morning. We are having Gs today his teachers are on strike. Lovely pictures Blue.
Sending💐 for those with worries . It's a dull day here no sun has yet .

ShazzaKanazza Thu 16-Mar-23 08:39:18

Another funny one from Matt Urms. 😂So much news for him at the moment.

Greyduster Thu 16-Mar-23 08:36:57

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Good news about your surgery date, Mick. I had a long session with an NHS physio at the leisure centre yesterday and he certainly pulled me about a bit. He thinks it’s nerve damage and said “You probably won’t want to do a lot today, and take pain killers if you need them.” He wasn’t wrong! I have stretching exercises to do. I spent a lovely couple of hours afterwards with my niece, and then called in at the garden centre on the way home and bought a rose and some compost. I’m going over to the library this afternoon but that’s about all I’ve got planned for today.
Kitty Wow! That young man is growing! Lovely photo!
Abitbarmy💐 and a hug for your sister and for you.
Have the best day you can folks.

Urmstongran Thu 16-Mar-23 08:36:13

Here’s Matt.

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s drizzling and looks cold. I’ve been reading the paper on line. So much of the news is depressing isn’t it?

I’m meeting our teacher daughter for coffee in the square after breakfast. A second strike day. She is in the NEU which seems the most militant union. So far she’s lost hundreds of ££s in wages which they can ill afford. Hey ho.

Himself will be watching Man. Utd at tea time. A 2nd leg game against a Spanish team in the Europa Cup.

Right, I’m off to make a pan of Scott’s porridge (the best) and will then read all your posts while it’s simmering. x

SunshineSally Thu 16-Mar-23 08:35:54

Good morning Mick and all from an overcast south Hants where I’m hoping the day will brighten and remain dry.
Glad you have a date now Mick and really hoping all goes well for you.
Abitbarmy so sorry to hear your news - always such a shock to hear. Hopefully she won’t have to wait too long for her treatment plan. The waiting is the worst part. I hope everything goes well 💐
We have our arbour seat being delivered today - a present to ourselves to celebrate our upcoming Ruby wedding anniversary on Sunday. Poor DH will be tasked with putting it together - no doubt with much mutterings, bless him 🤣.
DDog is trialling a new day care today for half a day and am hopeful he’s going to like it as he enjoyed visiting it last week and there’s so much there for him to explore. I feel quite excited for him!
Hope you all have a lovely day - thoughts to those with appointments and/or worries 🦩🦩
A hug 🤗 and 💐 for you all x

Gingster Thu 16-Mar-23 08:27:38

Marydoll How long does it take for steroids to get out of your system? Did you feel poorly for long?

ShazzaKanazza Thu 16-Mar-23 08:26:37

GrannyGravy hope your daughter will start to feel better on the steroids 💐💐
Everyone is so busy today!

Grammaretto Thu 16-Mar-23 08:20:17

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. It's raining and not as cold as yesterday.
I thoroughly enjoyed the Glasgow meetup and look forward to the next one.
Yoga today and ceilidh dancing tonight. Lunch with a df in the middle.

We used to use tools for self-reliance when either donating or acquiring tools for the community garden gMattie
tfsr.org
The tools are refurbished and mostly sent to projects in other countries.
Also your local men's shed would send someone round!
In Edinburgh the prison workshop repairs tools too and occasionally an extra crowbar would come back, which caused some amusement.

So glad your operation is happening soon Mick

I am sorry to hear about your DS Abitbatty. flowers

Liberty Thu 16-Mar-23 08:19:44

Good morning from a wet and grey Suffolk. Hope those with anxieties about medical treatments planned or anticipated get reassurance along the way. I have found in the past that once you know what is happening it is easier to deal with than uncertainty.

Off to my stretch class soon and then a pedicure with my very chatty beautician. She is a young mum with 2 primary school age boys and I love listening about their doings. We have a good time also putting the world to rights even with a gap of nearly 50 years between us.

Hope there is some sunshine,imagined if not real for all today.

baubles Thu 16-Mar-23 08:18:17

Good morning all from rainy South Lanarkshire.

Not long to wait Mick, that’s good.

Sending best wishes for your DS abitbarmy, that must have been a shock.

Beautiful photos Blue and a lovely one of Wolfie to Kitty.

I’ve an appointment with the practice nurse at nine then we’re off to Edinburgh as usual. We normally manage to be out for a couple of hours but the weather isn’t looking promising.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Taichinan Thu 16-Mar-23 08:14:49

Good morning all from a drizzly mizzly Angus coast. So glad you have your date Mick and it isn't long to wait. Be good now, and don't get up to any mischief between now and Monday 😉. Soon be over.
Sorry about your DS's diagnosis abitbarmy flowers
Lovely photo of Wolfie and friend, kitty, and of your holiday in SA Bluesapphire.
A pleasant trip out with my friend yesterday, although the sun didn't grace us with its presence. The only snow we saw was in distant hills so maybe, just maybe, we've seen the last of it for this year 🤞 The weather warning for snow and ice for this area today has been withdrawn as well.
Tai chi again this morning (my "happy" day!). Then I'm off for a visit to my hairdresser and a coffee catch-up with my niece afterwards. She should have been in LA just now, but snow in California put her off and she's 'popping over' to see her daughter and family next month instead when no doubt it will be back to wall-to-wall sunshine there again. Anyway, we'll catch up with each other's news.
Have the best day everyone, and I hope the sun is shining where you are (and if you see it, just whisper 'Angus coast' in its ear) x

Georgesgran Thu 16-Mar-23 08:12:02

Good morning from a wet, miserable Durham. Thank you for the Birthday wishes yesterday - a digit to change! I loved Taichinan’s comment - if only!
Coffee with an old work colleague this morning, then as I have DD2’s little dog here, I’ll have to factor in a walk and hope he doesn’t get too filthy! DD2 gave me 5 loads of laundry last night, but I think I’ll need to use the dryer, as our forecast is poor.
Best wishes to all and special thoughts for those dealing with bad news. X

NannyJan53 Thu 16-Mar-23 08:10:11

Good morning from a grey and damp Black Country.

Gym yesterday, then finished my book by Peter May, called Lockdown. He wrote it in 2005, its a murder mystery but set in a London in Lockdown by a flu virus. It wasn't published at the time as his publishers thought it was a very absurd scenario. It was published in 2020!

Thursday morning walk, then tonight we are out for a meal with MrJ's 2 brothers and a cousin and their respective wives. They thought it was time for a meet up.

Wishing you all the best day possible

monk08 Thu 16-Mar-23 08:06:12

Good morning all from the Black country
Mick good news that you have date soon be over, take it easy till then.
No plans today may introduce myself to the duster give it an airing.
Haven't seen NannyJan my fellow Black country gran posting do hope she is ok.
Enjoy your Thursday everyone and may you all find some ☀️.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 16-Mar-23 08:05:23

Good morning all from bright Harrogate.
What a shock Abitbarmy It’s maybe not as bad as it seems.
I was in Morrisons yesterday and spied Pomegranate juice Marydoll, it could be in other large Supermarkets as well?
Some lovely photos from the grans.
Hopefully getting my Sainsburies shopping this am, then housework and a zoom call to my sisters this evening.
Have the best day possible folks