Gransnet forums

Chat

Those were the Days! I copied this from a recent Probus mag. ( author unknown) So very true.

(108 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 18-Mar-23 05:45:59

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
Heard a Doctor on TV recently
(Norman Swan on ABC) telling us
that we needed children to play in
the dirt with their dogs and cats and
be allowed to build up some
immunity! Well bugger me!
Who would have thought?
Those were the days - A Bit of Australian Nostalgia!!
My mum used to cut chicken, chop eggs, and spread butter,
lard, dripping etc., or bread on the same cutting board with
the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get
food poisoning. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in
wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but
I can't remember getting E.coli.
Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the
creek, the lake or at the beach instead of a pristine
chlorinated pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then
either?!!
We all took PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of
Dunlop sandshoes or bare feet, if you couldn't afford the
runners instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with
air cushion soles and built-in light reflectors that cost as
much as a small car.
I can't recall any injuries, but they must have happened
because they tell us how much safer we are now.
We got the cane or the strap for doing something wrong at
school, they used to call it discipline... yet we all grew up to
accept the rules and to honour and respect those older than
us.
We had at least 40 kids in our class and somehow, we all
learned to read and write, do math’s and spell almost all the
words needed to write a grammatically correct letter...
FUNNY THAT!!
We all said prayers in school irrespective of our religion,
sang the national anthem and saluted the Flag and no one
got upset. Staying in detention after school netted us all
sorts of negative attention we wish we hadn't got.
And we all knew we had to accomplish something before
we were allowed to be proud of ourselves.
I just can't recall how bored we were without computers,
Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable
stations. We weren't!! Don’t even mention about the rope
swing into the river or climbing trees, or Heaven forbid
"Billy Carts"?)
To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told
that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we
possibly have known that?
We never needed to get into group therapy and/or anger
management classes.
We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills that
we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking
Prozac!
How did we ever survive?

Dickens Mon 20-Mar-23 11:34:42

FannyCornforth

Yes nadateturbe, as soon as you mention hitting children you’ve lost the room and the argument

... that's what did it for me.

I've seen a few of these trips down memory lane where posters recount how they and their siblings frequently got a good hiding and it "never did me any harm" and then go on to disparage today's parents who are "too soft".

<<<sigh>>>

Yammy Mon 20-Mar-23 12:27:37

We had families whose fathers beat them regularly and mothers who did not dare leave the house without DH's permission or were not allowed to work. Was it picked up by the school nurse of course not the father had been POW's with the "Japs', It is mentioned in a novel by Melvyn Bragg. The poor things probably had PSD.
Things were pushed under the carpet and tried to be forgotten.
It doesn't make them right and I agree Fanny I was really glad when" No corporal punishment ", was brought into schools. In N/C they talked about the taws I had never heard of it a leather strap split with knots on the ends.
In their own way, all these things unknowingly harmed us and our parents. I'm certainly glad attitudes have changed and speak not smack practised.

nadateturbe Tue 21-Mar-23 16:17:01

A young boy in my primary school was continually thumped in the chest and back up and down the classroom one day. He cried and said I'm telling my mummy. (I'm crying remembering). He died of heart disease age 52. I know it's silly but I often wonder was there a connection.

Hitting children was and is never right. I'm glad there's protection for children now.

nadateturbe Tue 21-Mar-23 16:21:53

Yammy yes, some horrible memories . Many things have changed for the better.

Grammaretto Tue 21-Mar-23 16:53:36

I hope my DGC are happy at home and at school.
Yes they have their phones but so do I!
They don't have helicopter parents and live healthy lives with lots of sport and nice holidays and friends
I wouldn't want them to have a childhood like mine, truly.

Lizbethann55 Tue 21-Mar-23 18:08:27

I had a lovely childhood. I played out all day. We took our bikes to the park and played on the swings. The same park that I would never have let my children go to on their own. Mum never knew exactly where I was, but it was in one or other of several local houses. When I was older I went to the local youth club and walked home on my own at 10.00pm. Wouldn't let children today do that. I got smacked by mum if I was naughty. But never beaten or at school. I ate the meals mum cooked, or didn't. If I wasn't playing outside I was reading or doing jigsaws.. I chalked on the pavements and played hopscotch, because there were no cars parked on them. We played cricket down the middle of the street, because there was so little traffic. At school I learnt the Lord's Prayer and still know the words of the hymns we sang. Our headmaster played a piece of classical music while we walked into assembly and told us about it. I learnt to knit and sew at 7 years old and made things out of clay as our school had a kiln. It also had it's own swimming pool where we all learnt to swim. My siblings and I rushed down in the morning as first down sat nearest the fire. Mum worked part time, but there was always someone in when I got home. I walked to and from school by myself or with my friends. When we had an injection we sat on the teachers knee and got a handful of dolly mixtures from the big jars afterwards for being brave. If we were upset or scared or had hurt ourselves at school the teachers gave us a hug and reassured us. If the weather was bad everyonecwalked to school in black wellies and had a wooden clothes peg with our name on it to clip the boots together. I had lots of sleepovers at my grans .I would snuggle in her big bed with her while she told me " Goldilocks and the three bears" and sliced oranges and thickly covered the slices in sugar.
Yes there were bad bits. I didn't like school dinners ( no chips, pizza, pasta or rice) , though the puddings were gorgeous. I hated the cold , and still do. Grandstand on TV on Saturdays was really boring, as was the cricket. And I hated budget day because there was no childrens tele. But on the whole my childhood was good and the good memories far outweigh the bad. And I hope my children have found memories of their childhood and that my DGC have good memories too.

Granmarderby10 Wed 22-Mar-23 08:15:09

Lizbethann55. Saturday TV was filled with sport during the day, it used to bore me to tears too. ( still does really)😉
We had chips at school on Fridays with fish or sometimes as an accompaniment to a ham salad with a freshly made bread roll: yum!