Gransnet forums

Chat

Flowers

(33 Posts)
glammanana Sat 18-Mar-23 09:04:34

As we all know Mothering Sunday is upon us tomorrow and all us lucky mums will be receiving flowers from our loved ones.

Every week I buy fresh flowers with my shop for the standard bunch I usually buy they cost about £8 from Sainsburys and brighten up my kitchen for 8/10days a treat to myself every week.

This morning my eldest son popped in on his way home off his night shift and brought me the same type of bouquet that I usually buy and the price has rocketed to £20 I was totally shocked at the increase I expected a price rise this week-end but nothing like that sort of price rise .

cc Wed 22-Mar-23 13:46:01

farview

I only like simple bunches of flowers...i.e tulips..or daffodils..or stocks ...but usually my Children ask me what I would like and I usually ask for bags of compost or a perennial plant...

My very sensible youngest daughter simply brought me a bunch of daffodils, perfect as far as I am concerned.

grannyactivist Wed 22-Mar-23 13:54:39

I love to have flowers in the house and my family know it. I’m not so keen on mixed bunches, although some are very nice. For Mothering Sunday I received a bunch of daffodils, a bunch of tulips, a bunch of roses - and Wentworth jigsaw puzzle called The Flower Cupboard. Perfect. 😁

Grammaretto Wed 22-Mar-23 14:04:15

Well Blondiescot because life is full of dilemmas and contradictions. Makes for interesting and informative discussion.
I also love flowers - all sorts, florist, homegrown and hedgerow.

I was sad when we were no longer allowed to pick wild flowers on country walks,, although even then I was always careful never to take more than one from each clump.

My heart sinks when the enormous lorry arrives from Holland at the local florist. Look inside and the flowers are tightly packed in tubes looking just like paints
No scent or freshness. They are probably grown using preservatives to have a long shelf life.

But fruit and veg are grown much the same way so why put florists out of business.

HeavenLeigh Wed 22-Mar-23 14:04:29

I buy flowers every week 3 bunches just love them. Generally from M&S, and normally roses and tulips, was told to buy from Aldi as they last longer. Must try! Yes the flower prices have gone up. Sadly every thing has.

Fleurpepper Wed 22-Mar-23 14:16:28

My third little bouquet from the garden just now. Snow drops, snowflakes, pulmonaria, hyacinth and tête à tête daffs. In a small glass as they are short- but what a joy.

nipsmum Wed 22-Mar-23 16:17:28

I received flowers by post from both my daughters. They arrived a week before the day and are still going strong.

dustyangel Wed 22-Mar-23 16:31:25

Wow nipsmum that is really good. I received daffodils still in bud on Friday and thought it was very good that they lasted very well until yesterday, I took out the ones that were past it this morning but I doubt the others will last much longer.

They were bought last Thursday. DD put them in a plastic bag and wrapped it in newspaper and put them overnight in the fridge before bringing them out in her hand luggage to give to me on Friday afternoon. They’d just opened on Mother’s Day which was the plan.