Gransnet forums

Chat

Jackie Lawson e-cards

(56 Posts)
Auntieflo Sat 18-Mar-23 11:53:32

I have been a subscribed member to this site for years and had no problems.
This year though, I try to send a card, get to where I choose "send by email etc"
and the site takes you back to a blank card. All written messages disappeared.
The FAQ's know that there is a problem, if using Safari on android, ios. and suggest perhaps using a different browser, or that you are short on memory.

But why has it only happened recently, to me any way?
Surely they could fix a known fault?
On trying to send a card, I have managed, after many, many, many, attempts, to suddenly get it to go through.

But, try to send another, and you are back to square one.
I am losing the will to live 😵‍💫

Blinko Tue 11-Apr-23 12:05:04

Lizbethann55

There is a reply option. So you could reply with the following " dear x I have not opened your card. I do not intend to do so.. I really don't like it. I find it twee and silly. I do not care that you have sent it with affection and thought or that you have spent a considerable amount of time looking through them all to find one that you think I will like. I would much rather you spent your time travelling to the nearest shops, despite the cost of public transport or parking in order to go to a card shop and spend a great deal of time and money buying not only the card you are going to send me but all the other people you send Christmas / thanksgiving/ birthday cards to. I then want you to buy stamps for all those cards , at over £1.00 each, I am sure that won't be a problem. Then Write all those cards as i know you have nothing else to do as you work full time while raising a family. And then post them. Even though, even if Royal Mail aren't on strike, the card probably won't arrive on time. So that I can put the card on the mantlepiece for a few days before putting it in the recycling. I remain , yours truly"

Have you any idea just how ungrateful you all sound?

Spot on!

LiverLover Thu 30-Mar-23 23:27:38

I was delighted to receive the JL e card that a friend sent to me. Far preferred it to the bits of card that cost a fortune to buy and then post and then create unnecessary clutter in the house. More eco friendly too.

Ali23 Thu 30-Mar-23 23:07:49

Brilliant!

Auntieflo Thu 30-Mar-23 16:28:25

Ali23, I just downloaded the App and sent my friend a note card.
All seemed to go smoothly, so thanks very much for that tip

Lizbethann55 Thu 30-Mar-23 14:25:47

Thank you for your concern Caramme, but I am quite well. I was however very angry on behalf of all the people who send JL cards and the unkind and dismissive response with which they were received. Fortunately, as far as I am aware, none of the people I send them to are Gransnetters. I think the recipients are much kinder and will appreciate the thought.
The religious Easter ones are , in my humble opinion, quite lovely and I will be sending some this week.

Caramme Thu 30-Mar-23 13:30:45

Lizbethann55

There is a reply option. So you could reply with the following " dear x I have not opened your card. I do not intend to do so.. I really don't like it. I find it twee and silly. I do not care that you have sent it with affection and thought or that you have spent a considerable amount of time looking through them all to find one that you think I will like. I would much rather you spent your time travelling to the nearest shops, despite the cost of public transport or parking in order to go to a card shop and spend a great deal of time and money buying not only the card you are going to send me but all the other people you send Christmas / thanksgiving/ birthday cards to. I then want you to buy stamps for all those cards , at over £1.00 each, I am sure that won't be a problem. Then Write all those cards as i know you have nothing else to do as you work full time while raising a family. And then post them. Even though, even if Royal Mail aren't on strike, the card probably won't arrive on time. So that I can put the card on the mantlepiece for a few days before putting it in the recycling. I remain , yours truly"

Have you any idea how just aggressive you sound? No one was attacking you personally. But perhaps you are not well, or stressed out. If so, I do sincerely hope you feel better soon.

nanna8 Thu 30-Mar-23 12:44:28

Snobby ladies. Love it. Never heard that one before. Trouble with the real life cards is they now take more than a week, sometimes several weeks ,to arrive. If they do. They cost an arm and a leg for a worse service. Quicker by horse but no one has horses anymore. The thing is, those e-cards are BORING.

Ali23 Thu 30-Mar-23 12:31:59

I downloaded it from the App store and it is a very easy way to access your account, choose cards, send them via email or WhatsApp etc.

Auntieflo Thu 30-Mar-23 09:14:46

No I haven't Ali23.
Tell me more please.

Ali23 Wed 22-Mar-23 01:31:17

I agree with Lizebethann.
I have a friend who sends me JL cards and I use them for relatives and friends who i don’t see.
I receive both sorts of cards and love them both!

Auntiflo, have you tried the App?

silverlining48 Tue 21-Mar-23 23:16:45

However, each to his or her own. smile

silverlining48 Tue 21-Mar-23 23:15:09

The ones I have had from my friend are all Pretty much the same. She always ends with love from C and nothing else.
I would be happier with a short email with her news. That’s free,
A bird with a ribbon and flowers in its beak flitting between trees in a garden full of flowers 🌸 in front of a thatched cottage is so twee . Sorry but it’s not for me.

Wyllow3 Tue 21-Mar-23 22:39:46

Sheesh.

I find them twee and wouldn't send but like the thought behind the sender.
Would be nice to have another firm doing more variety.

Lizbethann55 Tue 21-Mar-23 22:26:08

ixion Tue 21-Mar-23 21:48:50

I think that is so sad (literally).
Are they not sent with a meaning?

Floradora9 Tue 21-Mar-23 21:35:50

I found a way of blocking them on my e-mail address . I really do not like them . The person trying to send it does not know why it will not send them but it stops them arriving .

Farzanah Tue 21-Mar-23 13:18:47

I think it’s healthy that not everyone on GN agrees with everyone else, as indeed in RL, otherwise posts would be very dull.
What I find is less acceptable is addressing those not in agreement as snobby ladies.

Lizbethann55 Mon 20-Mar-23 10:25:41

You are welcome AuntieFlo. I do find GN is getting less and less tolerant of anyone whose views oppose the majority.
Some of the people on here come over as being quite unpleasant. I often wonder what it would be like to meet them F2F.

Auntieflo Mon 20-Mar-23 10:16:41

Thank you Lizbethann5 for being in my corner.

Having been a GN member for quite a few years, you learn to shrug off the sharp comments.
On the whole I like GN, but don't post nearly as often as I used to do. Just dip in and out these days.

25Avalon Mon 20-Mar-23 10:05:02

I found them very useful during lockdown and am still using them but I do wish there was more variety. The dog ones Infind best as I know quite a few people with dogs but I’m running out.

A friend sent me a JL card at Christmas with the message the money she had saved would be donated to a charity so I found that more acceptable. I think the post strike had a part to play for some people.

Chestnut Mon 20-Mar-23 09:53:14

Well I won't be sending any more JL cards unless they reduce their prices. You pay for 1 or 2 years, but unless you send lots of them it works out very expensive now as the price has doubled since I last subscribed 2 years ago. I send postal cards to close family and friends so these are only for a few mostly overseas.

There is a market here for e-cards which are less twee than JL and can be purchased in a batch of 10 with no time limit.

Harris27 Mon 20-Mar-23 09:40:30

I get one every Christmas off a friend I find them really nice. But like a real card can’t display it on the mantelpiece. I wouldn’t use them.

ixion Mon 20-Mar-23 09:33:12

Just to say I totally agree. I refuse even to open these silly things

You could always skip to the end on 'mute' and read the sender's greetings to you. I'm sure they would have been sent sincerely.

Franbern Mon 20-Mar-23 08:30:06

JackyB

To be honest, I wish people wouldn't send me Jacqui Lawson cards. I find them twee and would be very embarrassed if someone saw me watching one.

I would prefer, if it has to be electronic and not a real card to stand on the mantelpiece, an email with sincere wishes and news of the sender.

Just to say I totally agree. I refuse even to open these silly things.

Wyllow3 Sun 19-Mar-23 21:53:51

I prefer getting a moonpig card to JL which can all be done online and you can send a nice message "happy birthday"..card on its way if you are a bit late in the meantime.

Jl can be touching to get, but nothing really to hang onto?