Gransnet forums

Chat

The demise of writing?

(29 Posts)
eddiecat78 Mon 20-Mar-23 16:58:08

My daughter is concerned that her 4 year old shows no interest in writing - or drawing. We realised that he hardly ever sees an adult writing. My children's generation grew up surrounded by adults writing all the time - notes, letters, shopping lists, phone numbers etc etc. And of course children like to copy adults. Now all of these things are done on the phone or computer.
I don't know what the answer is. There is very little incentive for children to learn how to form letters anymore when they can use a phone. Perhaps they don't even need to!!

Greyduster Thu 23-Mar-23 06:47:16

I joined a poetry group recently and I was the only one present who had nothing handwritten. They are all ladies of a certain age and eschew the use of technology. If I have to write everything by hand I shall get nothing done so I may have to ask for special dispensation!

HermineJones Wed 29-Mar-23 15:17:47

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NanaDana Thu 30-Mar-23 06:26:45

I think that your concerns may be a wee bit premature where a 4 year-old is concerned. All my Grandchildren appear to have/be having an appropriate amount of handwriting tuition since they started school. One of them was initially struggling, but his Mum stepped in with some "fun" writing games at home, and he quickly caught up. I was recently impressed with his "joined up writing" on a birthday card to me now that he is 8. As for my own writing, I used to be quite proud of my italics, created by my Waterman's pen (proper ink!), but it's now just a scrawl, I'm afraid, and is mainly used for shopping lists.