Gransnet forums

Chat

How is your hand-writing these days?

(68 Posts)
Fleurpepper Mon 20-Mar-23 17:32:56

In order not to highjack another thread- have you noticed that your handwriting flows less easily, and has become somewhat untidy and perhaps hesitant even?

We are type away to communicate with others- so it is not surprising. But should we be concerned and perhaps practise more?

Dottydots Mon 20-Mar-23 17:55:28

When I had a stroke I found my handwritten words were very tiny and squashed up. After a year, though, my writing was back to normal.

Juliet27 Mon 20-Mar-23 18:00:05

I must admit my handwriting looks very scruffy now.

Grannybags Mon 20-Mar-23 18:03:35

My writing has gone downhill and my spelling has got even worse!

I blame predictive text for the spelling

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 20-Mar-23 18:07:14

My handwriting has always been awful, verging on illegible, but is truly terrible now. I used to practise with regular letters to a much older friend who has recently died. I communicate with everyone else by email. My writing will now be confined to cards and lists and will doubtless deteriorate further. Spelling isn’t a problem, nor hesitancy - just no style! How I envy those who write stylishly rather than scrawl!

AreWeThereYet Mon 20-Mar-23 18:08:24

My handwriting has always been a bit variable depending on how rushed I was but now it is more of a scrawl. I was writing up a recipe yesterday but couldn't read it all back when I finished and had to rewrite it 🤨 I'm not sure it's lack of practice as I write quite often. My hands just don't work as well as they used to.

Ziplok Mon 20-Mar-23 18:23:56

My handwriting is certainly not as neat as it once was. It’s probably lack of practice, as so much is typed nowadays.
I find my hand gets crampy, too, after using a pen for any length of time.

Mollygo Mon 20-Mar-23 18:30:38

Mine’s probably only neat because I have to demonstrate daily in work. It’s probably better than it used to be when I relied on using a fountain pen to produce neat script. My brain evidently thought a biro was an excuse to scrawl.

NotSpaghetti Mon 20-Mar-23 18:50:57

My writing has always been quite messy.
I'm not sure it's any worse grin

Georgesgran Mon 20-Mar-23 18:58:07

My writing used to be quite good, but decidedly mediocre now. My Dad has the most incredible, stylish and legible writing almost to the day he died.

Blossoming Mon 20-Mar-23 18:59:27

Mine is awful but I keep practicing.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Mon 20-Mar-23 19:02:13

Mine was never great but it's still legible.

Beechnut Mon 20-Mar-23 19:08:19

Dreadful. My dad and brothers had/have nice writing. My mum and sister neat writers. Mine looks like a drunken spider that has fallen in an ink pot and staggered over a piece of paper.

Charleygirl5 Mon 20-Mar-23 19:09:11

I am partially sighted so I have mega problems because I can no longer write in a straight line. At least a computer does not allow my writing to deviate.

M0nica Mon 20-Mar-23 19:23:20

I have dyspraxia. My handwriting has always been so bad it can get no worse. DS has the same problem, and diagnosis.

Theexwife Mon 20-Mar-23 19:30:50

My handwriting does not flow so easily due to lack of use but my typing has improved.

Fleurpepper Mon 20-Mar-23 19:33:23

Thanks all, very interesting. Beechnut, you did make me giggle.

In a way, I am glad most find that hand-writing has worsened, and that probably lack of practice due to use of computer, etc, is to blame, as well as 'age'!

I shall be able to reassure my sis in law, who was quite shocked recently that she found it hard to write a long BD card with lengthy message.

Must try and practise more often I think.

Juliet27 Mon 20-Mar-23 19:35:24

Georgesgran

My writing used to be quite good, but decidedly mediocre now. My Dad has the most incredible, stylish and legible writing almost to the day he died.

That reminded me of how neat and precise my dad’s writing was. His spelling was always accurate too - amazing when he left school at 14. Same with my mum. The three Rs were obviously taught well.

Farmor15 Mon 20-Mar-23 19:38:50

My handwriting has always been awful and is worse now. Both my parents had bad handwriting and used typewriters long before computers were around and I followed suit - so can't blame modern technology! I do handwrite shopping lists but often can't read some of the items.

crazyH Mon 20-Mar-23 19:52:45

My handwriting is still quite good, as noted by one of my sons , when he was double-checking the list I had made of the menu choices, for our Christmas family meal. May I add, his handwriting is an awful scrawl 😂

Kim19 Mon 20-Mar-23 19:54:05

Thank you for this. Just the very prompt I needed. I used to be pleased with my handwriting and lately I've found it disappointing to say the least. Fact is I don't use it often enough nowadays. I realise practice is the thing and I'm now resolved to have a daily bash. Can't see how there can possibly be a problem with this. However, we'll see. Again.....thanks. Good topic for me indeed.

MiniMoon Mon 20-Mar-23 19:55:34

My handwriting is still good as long as I concentrate. It's a bit scruffy if I'm in a hurry or just writing a note for myself.

MrsKen33 Mon 20-Mar-23 20:00:55

We learnt to cultivate a distinctive hand when at art school. Big and bold. My handwriting is still thus, and I do write a lot.

nanna8 Tue 21-Mar-23 01:41:36

Mine’s shocking now. It resembles the awful scrawl that many doctors used to have when writing notes. Now I understand! It has got larger. I can still sew neatly, though, funny enough.

LRavenscroft Tue 21-Mar-23 08:56:34

I always typed from the age of 17 using first a type writer and then a computer. However, when I sat a written exam a few years back I had to get 4 questions answered in 3 hours and found that writing by hand was excruciating in the sense that my thoughts ran away with me and I could not get them down fast enough manually, whereas, when typing you can almost type as quickly as you think. Also, my handwriting was nowhere near as neat and clear as it once was.