Gransnet forums

Chat

Air fryer meal suggestions please .

(102 Posts)
Sandytoes Tue 21-Mar-23 08:49:36

I have just bought an air fryer . When I say just I have had it over a month and it's still shiny and new and just sits in kitchen watching me use the oven . Please help it to earn its keep . I am cooking for two of us . Thanks

Ro60 Wed 22-Mar-23 16:20:17

Ziplok Do.get back with your research - I'm also tempted.

DD cooks broccoli in her airfryer - unsure if she blanched
it first. It's delicious - a completely different experience: slightly crispy & nutty!
Sligh

Sandytoes Wed 22-Mar-23 17:57:04

So tonight I am trying roasted veg / roasted potatoes . I only have a smallish air fryer ( not a Ninja ) so have cooked the chicken in the oven with some other items . I will let you know how it works out .

Sandytoes Thu 23-Mar-23 00:07:42

Success! . Roasted vegetables turned out well ! . Slightly different to oven cooked but just as nice .

Grannynannywanny Thu 23-Mar-23 08:08:14

Glad to hear your dinner was a success Sandytoes. I had the same meal last night. I cooked the chicken portion in the airfryer first and wrapped it in foil for 10 mins while the peppers, onion and potatoes cooked. I had some precooked potatoes from the previous night so it was a quick tasty meal.

My air fryer is a 4 litre Tower. It holds 2 chicken breasts side by side. Or if I’m cooking chicken for one I add the veg to roast beside it for the last 10 mins.

Nan231 Thu 23-Mar-23 08:32:08

I have a Salter dual drawer air fryer. I love it.
Cook the usual stuff in it.
A few weeks ago, i baked some lemon drizzle muffins for the first time.
They only took 8 minutes. must have been good,because my BIL ate two.

LynneH Thu 23-Mar-23 11:12:34

There is nothing you can cook in an oven, or on the hob, that you cannot do in an air fryer - particularly if it’s a multicooker. Just remember to use a temperature 20 degrees lower than the oven, and at least 5 minutes, more likely 10, less time

dumdum Thu 23-Mar-23 11:24:35

I also have a Tower..it’s my second, the first we got was too small. Use it a lot, model I have is really simple and basic…no touch screen. Have a slow cooker too.Little else on work top..all I need.

annboleyn Thu 23-Mar-23 11:28:16

I succumbed to the air fryer hype and bought one which was highly recommended from Robert Dyas. Anytime now it will be going to landfill a huge waste of money, can't find any decent helpful books, the recipes I have used haven't produced the food they promised. Will stick to my oven

DeeDe Thu 23-Mar-23 11:30:39

Only had mine a couple of weeks
Find having homemade chips with no mess or fat smell a bonus
If after peeling and rinsing the chips put in microwave for a few minutes, that reduces the air fryer cooking time
Jacket potato’s another favourite so far, also if out of fresh potatoes tinned one’s ok in the air fryer too
Sorry I’m not used to it enough for recommending recipes yet.
But already I don’t know how I managed without it.

DeeDe Thu 23-Mar-23 11:36:01

annboleyn

I succumbed to the air fryer hype and bought one which was highly recommended from Robert Dyas. Anytime now it will be going to landfill a huge waste of money, can't find any decent helpful books, the recipes I have used haven't produced the food they promised. Will stick to my oven

REALLY ! Wow you surprised me
I’d be lost without my air fryer now and only had it a couple of weeks, we love it, and can see will be using the main oven less and less already
Best kitchen item I’ve ever bought …100% love it

rowyn Thu 23-Mar-23 11:37:57

MawtheMerrier

I could not live with that cover-

It’s “Bored with Lunch” 😮😮😮😮

Fowler’s Modern English Usage (rev. 3rd ed.), in its entry for “bored,” says: “The normal constructions are with with or with by.” However, Fowler’s notes the usage that has caught your attention
^“A regrettable tendency has emerged in recent years, esp. in non-standard English in Britain and abroad, to construe the verb with of.”^

OH MAW - a woman after my own heart!
I've just been writing a rant for my local paper about OXFAM's new 92 page Inclusive Language Guide , which is a whole heap of rubbish, so it was so refreshing to read someone who reacts like me when they see ungrammatical language !

Blondiescot Thu 23-Mar-23 11:43:56

rowyn

MawtheMerrier

I could not live with that cover-

It’s “Bored with Lunch” 😮😮😮😮

Fowler’s Modern English Usage (rev. 3rd ed.), in its entry for “bored,” says: “The normal constructions are with with or with by.” However, Fowler’s notes the usage that has caught your attention
^“A regrettable tendency has emerged in recent years, esp. in non-standard English in Britain and abroad, to construe the verb with of.”^

OH MAW - a woman after my own heart!
I've just been writing a rant for my local paper about OXFAM's new 92 page Inclusive Language Guide , which is a whole heap of rubbish, so it was so refreshing to read someone who reacts like me when they see ungrammatical language !

I spent most of my working life correcting other people's grammar, so things like that drive me mad too! That and the aberrant apostrophe...

Visgir1 Thu 23-Mar-23 11:44:20

This is the No 1 Best seller hard back in The Times.. Covers everything, and makes you confident what you can do.

mousemac Thu 23-Mar-23 11:58:05

I recently tried roasting an aubergine for the first time, being too well trained in economy to put the oven on to roast a few vegetables.
Deeply slashed, with wedges of garlic shoved into the slashes. It made the perfect baba ganoush.

cc Thu 23-Mar-23 12:10:43

I find it's sometimes better to start some things in the microwave and then roast or brown in the airfryer - for example jacket potatoes and aubergines. There's quite a time saving if you do it this way. Also I usually parboil potatoes before roasting as you would do with a normal oven and I've recently started to use my old pressure cooker again for precooking.
Some things, like corn on the cob, are relatively quick and really nice cooked in the airfryer.
I've always made quite a few "one tray" bakes such as chicken thighs with potatoes, peppers, onions and chunks of other vegetables, flavoured with herbs or spice pastes. You can have them juicy with tomatoes or sauce, or dry roasted. These are excellent done in the air fryer and brown very well. It all depends on whether your machine came with a baking dish or if you can get a good sized dish inside.

I've also bought a six hole, deep pan which I can use for Yorkshires or cupcakes, though I know that not all fryers can fit a tray.

When we have the grandchildren round we usually have a pudding with dinner and make a sponge topped fruit pudding.

Looking forward to reading all this thread to give me some ideas!

cc Thu 23-Mar-23 12:13:31

Visgir1

This is the No 1 Best seller hard back in The Times.. Covers everything, and makes you confident what you can do.

Does this have European measurements? So many of the recommended books seem to be American and measure in cups, as well as using lots of bought sauces and other shortcut ingredients which most of us would not use, preferring to cook from scratch.

hicaz46 Thu 23-Mar-23 12:14:03

I couldn’t live with that cover either. It grates every time I see it. I’m sure the book is very useful.

cc Thu 23-Mar-23 12:19:32

Ziplok

Thank you for posting which model you have, Doodledog. I I’ll do some research now 😊.

I thing Robert Dyas have some on offer at the moment, though I got mine as an Amazon Warehouse deal.

PamSJ1 Thu 23-Mar-23 12:24:57

My son and daughter-in-law bought me this book for Mother's Day.
Looking forward to trying it out www.theworks.co.uk/p/recipe-books/air-fryer-cookbook/9781788794244.html?CAWELAID=720011340002925577&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8e-gBhD0ARIsAJiDsaXxnvWf5b8qfRIU4GvX-YDwoSsUiV3uSZxwVCov2ALclLdPRqGaiNsaAvMFEALw_wcB

Jay21 Thu 23-Mar-23 12:26:01

Petit pan straight from the freezer. Brush with a little melted butter and airfry 5 -6 mins at 200° so they're golden brown. Crisp on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. Buy a digital thermometer so you can check meat and poultry.

Keeleklogger Thu 23-Mar-23 12:30:11

I have the Ninja 451 dual draw it’s absolutely the best thing ever. I bought a pork loin joint which said 2 hours in the oven. After 1 hour on 180c on airfry 10 minutes max crisp, then wrap the joint for 20 minutes to rest it’s the best joint I have ever had and the crackling was to die for.

I the other draw potatoes and parsnips par boiled 25 minutes 200c airfry lovely and crisp

B9exchange Thu 23-Mar-23 12:34:18

I think a month of sitting there is quite average, before you get the courage to try it, but then you won't hold back! Best recipe book I have found is this one www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08TQ4T9D7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

suelld Thu 23-Mar-23 12:49:33

I have recently bought the Ninja AF300 7.6 litres DUAL drawer… I now cook almost everything in it. I live alone and one drawer does the veg /potatoes, the other the meat or whatever you wan to cook fish, veggie, pies, anything, then I can ‘sync’ them to finish at the same time. I haven’t yet become very experimental; but recently cooked a meal for my neighbour- a Lamb shoulder in one drawer with potatoes/parsnips carrots in the other drawer ‘sync’d’ . Did gravy on the hob and runner beans in the microwave. It’s also produced the best crackling I’ve ever managed on Pork! My oven too is now almost unused. Wrong it can’t cook liquids either - it can do Casseroles and stews but you need an inner liner or similar - I have to add I havn’t ventured that far yet!
Maybe the more experienced Air Fryer users here can help.
Go to YouTube put in your model and I’m sure numerous videos will pop up showing ‘how to’ and recipes. I bought a Beginners Recipe book but the one thing it didn’t show - and should (waste of money really) were the temps and which setting to use and times to cook - there are better books but look closely and shop around til you find one that supplies that (to me as a beginner) essential info. Good Luck - once you start you won’t stop using it.

katy1950 Thu 23-Mar-23 12:52:16

You tube has some really good recioe ideas

cc Thu 23-Mar-23 13:04:34

B9exchange

I think a month of sitting there is quite average, before you get the courage to try it, but then you won't hold back! Best recipe book I have found is this one ]]

I've had a quick look at your link and it say that you need an airfryer with a pressure cooker function for many of the recipes in this book. I don't think that many of us have that?